• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

8-30-14 Update breaks windowed play.

MizterMM

Banned
Reaction score
Valentine
everything works fine until I join an online fight and the border disappears.

The game crashes and I have to force close it.

what do.

more info : I am not going to play full-screen.
Tried different resolutions, restarded pc.

everything works fine until I join an online fight and the border disappears.

The game crashes and I have to force close it.

what do.

more info : I am not going to play full-screen.
Tried different resolutions, restarded pc.

The borders disappear on purpose. Mike explained tonight that when you played on windowed mode before, there was an exploit where a player could click on the task bar and it would freeze the game for a second, and then you'd have fake "lag" in offline matches.
Are you actually able to fight a match? Or does it crash on its own when the borders disappear?

The borders disappear on purpose. Mike explained tonight that when you played on windowed mode before, there was an exploit where a player could click on the task bar and it would freeze the game for a second, and then you'd have fake "lag" in offline matches.
Are you actually able to fight a match? Or does it crash on its own when the borders disappear?

I understand what hes trying to do but my game crashes as soon as the borders disappear....
Clearly this cant be some isolated incident right?
I am running a 2013 ~1.5 k gaming rig with windows 8.1 on it.... so my computer is not some POS
Everything was running fine as of 2 hours ago when the game updated.

I am running a 2013 ~1.5 k gaming rig with windows 8.1 on it....
Not that I'm doubting you, but this says nothing about how good your computer is.

Not that I'm doubting you, but this says nothing about how good your computer is.

I am not going to list what components my pc has but I can assure you they are good enough to run "Skullgirls"
My co-worker (the Data guy at the office) helped me built it and I trust he did a good job.
Anyways I am sure my pc is fine and the game is just broken.

more info:
-I have an intel machine with an AMD Graphics card.
-The game runs ok full-screen, the windowed is just broken.
-I have a huge monitor so I don't like playing Full Screen and want this game breaking update fixed asap.

xtra stuff- every time I change resolution the game crashes. or if I go from full screen to windowed.

k thnx.

Last edited:
run -log on beta, pastie the results.

I am not going to list what components my pc has but I can assure you they are good enough to run "Skullgirls"
My co-worker (the Data guy at the office) helped me built it and I trust he did a good job.

In the time it took you to type this, you totally could have just typed dxdiag into your start menu search bar, gotten your specs, and told us something useful.

And from personal experience, 99% of the time someone insists that their computer is more than enough to run a game and yet they don't know its specs, it actually isn't. Not saying that will be the case, but better safe than sorry.

After the borderless changes, my FPS has been dropping constantly while playing. Haven't tested while watching but it's almost unbearable to play.
Reached 11fps once.
What was the problem that the border caused with sync? I don't see a reason for it not to be optional, if it's screwing the game for some.

Tested it on beta. My FPS is still dropping there, but looks less drastic than on retail.

It's against cheating by lagging on purpose. When you quickly resize the window back and forth by dragging the border you could cause lags and break your opponents combo, so no, it won't be optional.

Still it's a new feature and bugs are bound to happen. I'm sure @Mike_Z will find some fixes.

Last edited:
DROrZga.jpg

Until he posts a log, ain't nothing to see here. Move along

I think if you're having bug problems they might really need to know your hardware specs and such so that they can try to narrow down what's wrong, especially if other people are having issues. Bug reports need a lot of information so that they can reproduce what went wrong and (hopefully) find a fix for it.

kwptvn.png

FPS dropping to 11~25 when playing online after the borderless changes. Usually around 45~55 on training.

more info:
-I have an intel machine with an AMD Graphics card.
-The game runs ok full-screen, the windowed is just broken.
-I have a huge monitor so I don't like playing Full Screen and want this game breaking update fixed asap.

xtra stuff- every time I change resolution the game crashes. or if I go from full screen to windowed.

k thnx.
For future reference - when having a software problem that you want remote help with, how "not POS" your computer is DOES NOT MATTER, the specific configuration of components and OS is important every time. Assume it is a problem for just you, not for everyone.
If you want something fixed that is not causing problems for other people, it is in your best interests to list EVERYTHING that could possibly help the other person solve the problem, because the person at the other end is not the one having the problem. Ask your friend ("the Data guy at the office") how much getting this post, written the way you wrote it, would piss him or her off. I'm sure you'll get a good lecture.
But I'd like to have the game work for everyone, so here we go:

The useful info you DID give me is:
- Windows 8.1
- AMD graphics card
- Game crashes when you switch from fullscreen to windowed or when you change window resolution.

The last one is most important, because that tells me it has nothing to do with the borderless part change, rather it has to do with switching window state at all.

I had people I know with Win8.1 try playing, and switching resolutions, and going borderless online, and it never crashed for them.
That points to a problem with your specific setup, most likely the graphics card driver, not the game .
Since you didn't tell me anything really helpful about your setup, though, I can't help past that.

Did it just start crashing on fullscreen->windowed with the most recent update, or has it done this before?
If it has done this for a while, can you remember when it started?
Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

CPU Z gives helpful logs which you can post in pastebin, along with a -log file from the endless beta. Mike has to be able to have enough into to be able to think of what caused the problem or be able to recreate it.
"K thnx."

I feel like I have partial blame for saying it checked out fine so soon :<

I feel like I have partial blame for saying it checked out fine so soon :<
Nah, lots of people besides you said the same. It's just this guy's system.

The useful info you DID give me is:
- Windows 8.1
- AMD graphics card
- Game crashes when you switch from fullscreen to windowed or when you change window resolution.

The last one is most important, because that tells me it has nothing to do with the borderless part change, rather it has to do with switching window state at all.

I had people I know with Win8.1 try playing, and switching resolutions, and going borderless online, and it never crashed for them.
That points to a problem with your specific setup, most likely the graphics card driver, not the game .
Since you didn't tell me anything really helpful about your setup, though, I can't help past that.

Did it just start crashing on fullscreen->windowed with the most recent update, or has it done this before?
If it has done this for a while, can you remember when it started?
Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Yes the game started crashing with the newest update...
The beta works fine so my computer is fine.
In the beta I can change resolution, windowed to FS and play with this new borderless just fine, no problems.
The retail is the only one messing up.
I did the integrity check of game files or whatever and that didn't help either.

Here is my info.

7LQxbmD.jpg

Here is my full pc info.
http://pastebin.com/UsHiUpvA

here is some low quality video I recorded for those doubting the truth of my claims.
@Midiman

extra info: I updated my graphics card drivers, still have the problem.
-When I switch from fullscreen to normal the video frezzes but I still hear music and can move the menu, I hear it moving.
-playing in windowed and when it switches to borderless it crashes the whole game. I have to force close it.

Last edited:
Yes the game started crashing with the newest update...
The beta works fine so my computer is fine.
In the beta I can change resolution, windowed to FS and play with this new borderless just fine, no problems.
The retail is the only one messing up.
I did the integrity check of game files or whatever and that didn't help either.

Here is my info.
AWESOME, way better.

The fact that the beta works is really odd, the code's exactly the same...lemme try making an update to Beta and the real game tonight and see if you still have problems, ok?

Ahah, it might be that your particular setup doesn't like ClientToScreen(), which is an old windows function I used in the real game but not in the beta.
Lemme see if I can fix this better.

Ahah, it might be that your particular setup doesn't like ClientToScreen(), which is an old windows function I used in the real game but not in the beta.
Lemme see if I can fix this better.

Cool, thank you.

If there is anything else I can provide or I can do, let me know

thnx,

Try with today's update, and tell me if it improved at all or got worse or what. :^P
(Exit and reopen steam to force it to look for updates.)

I had the update,
Nothing changed.
The game still crashes as soon as the border disappears.
When I change from fullscreen to windowed mode the video messes up still.
I hear the game running, selection sounds ect. but the video retains part of what was in the original fullscreen mode.
Again, everything works fine in the Beta.

I had the update,
Nothing changed.
The game still crashes as soon as the border disappears.
When I change from fullscreen to windowed mode the video messes up still.
I hear the game running, selection sounds ect. but the video retains part of what was in the original fullscreen mode.
Again, everything works fine in the Beta.
Ah okay, those are separate problems. Fullscreen junk is not initializing the video properly, that I can fix.

I am making an update to the Beta which will print out some stuff in the log so I can see what's actually crashing for the bordered part.

@MizterMM
There's a new update to the Beta, go ahead and get it (19:39:29 on the title screen lower-right) and tell me if it works for you at all / if online works.
Switching to fullscreen is probably still broken because I haven't been able to figure out what's up with that.

@Mike_Z

I installed the update, Works fine.
The new method works fine when it goes online and I can also change resolutions w/o a problem.
Going full to windowed is not a problem either.
I don't understand how the beta works great but the retail version is bugged.
If you enable logs on the retail I will generate one for you.

-implying these new changes dont fix the problem.

I don't understand how the beta works great but the retail version is bugged.
Retail doesn't have these fixes, I make updates separately. The beta is for checking first.

Now that I know it's fixed I can make a retail update!

Maybe it fixes my problems with FPS...

Retail doesn't have these fixes, I make updates separately. The beta is for checking first.

Now that I know it's fixed I can make a retail update!

Well now the windowed mode works fine on retail.
I changed it from full screen to windowed and it works.
I mean, the video breaks just like before when I did the switch from FS to Windowed but I restart the game and keep the settings.
The whole resolution switching, Screen mode switching is not game breaking so as far as I am concerned this is solved.
Thanks for allowing me to play your game comfortably once again...

I mean, the video breaks just like before when I did the switch from FS to Windowed but I restart the game and keep the settings.
Agh, FS->windowed doesn't work still? I'm not sure what to do there since it's the same code path. :^S

I'm glad it doesn't crash at least!