• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

About the number of characters in a team

Raging_Zoroark

Hot headed
Reaction score
Steam
Razor
XBL
ApartFriend1317
Squigly Double
A thing that I am thinking about lately is witch is better, a team with one, two, or three characters? I know that some characters need assists more than others and some of them are great assists, but that always compensate the fact that you are dealing lesser damage? Most teams I see (specially in tourneys) have three characters, so I starting to think that assists > greater damage. I would like to hear (read?) your opinions (and knowledge).

And I would like to know wich chars are good for solo and wich really needs partners.

More characters doesn't necessarily equal greater damage, but it *does* equal more options.

Is capitalizing off of the options you are given in multichar teams (DHCs, assists, alpha counters, etc.) more useful to you than the raw damage you get as solo? Do you know how to make the best of the team you create?

Most people believe 2 and 3-man teams are better because of the options that solos don't provide, but I think it comes down to preference in the end. I play solo band because his damage output is absolutely disgusting, and to me that more than compensates for lacking assist options.

Depends on the person, and depends on the characters you play.

However general consensus seems to be 3>2>1

If you take out all the skill thing and just do the math then 3 characters is obviously the best. They have a slight life advantage vs 2 and 1 and they keep at least one assist for longer. However it is easy to imagine people not being as good with all 3 characters than with 2 or 1.

Still assists are very important in this game and so playing solo can be quite a handicap, espiecially if you use character like Valentine, who sucks solo but really shines with assists.

As for solos all I personally know is that Valentine is really bad alone. I think that pretty much any character with a good Dragon Punch move can be a viable solo, like Filia, Parasoul and Ms Fortune. Cerebella can be particulary interesting because of how INSANE damage you can reach with her.

Last edited:
Going with only one character seems risky to me since assists helps a lot in doing mixups and opening up the opponent. Solo Big Band must require a very good mindgame from the player, but since the damage is high it won't need many right guesses.

Until now I used Fortune/ Filia or Squigs/ Filia. When I get used in controlling the head I will try solo Fortune. Thanks for the feedback.

I actually run a team of two. I find it to be the best balance for me, and the two characters I use compensate each other's weaknesses well.

Just do whatever works for you, and you'll be fine. :)

3 is generally better than 1 which is generally better than 2. The game was designed around having 3 characters with most of the extra stuff compensating for solos. Having 2 doesn't really do much except make sure that you're completely fucked if you get double-snapped.