• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Acclaimed games you just couldn't get into

Restposten

Cultist on Board
Reaction score
Steam
Toffer
Parasoul Ms. Fortune
If you play a lot of games, you have probably been in this situation:
There's a game everyone's fond of. The critics sing its praise, the general public loves it and your friends won't shut up about how great it is. But you just don't get it despite trying multiple times.

For me, three titles come to mind.
  • Despite really wanting to like it, I just couldn't get into Valkyria Chronicles. Don't get me wrong: The premise of the story, the fantasy-WW2-setting and exaggerated visuals are really nice, but beyond that I just didn't have the nerve to put up wit the anime-antics of the seemingly paper-thin characters and a combat system that was an afwul mess with invisible walls everywhere just not for me.
  • Another one is the Ace Attorney-series. So many friends o' mine are heavily invested in that series with its whacky characters and weird sense of humor that gets even weirder thanks to the stuff that's lost in translation. But I really struggle to have fun with the core game mechanics, especially when I have figured out the contradictions ahead of the characters but have to play "guess what I'm thinking" with the game to progress the story.
  • I also have a few gripes with Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Though I think it has mostly to do with the age of the game. The story just never really grabbed me beyond the first dungeon, and the world seems weirdly empty and shallow to me. I honestly had more fun with its sequels Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Minish Cap and the somewhat controversial Twilight Princess. Every few years I give it a try, but so far I never had the nerve or patience to get through the whole thing.
Now please note that I don't think these games are bad by any means. They certainly have their appeal, and I envy the people who are able to have fun with them.

But what, dear Skullheart-Community, are your popular titles you just couldn't get into?

Ocarina of Time is great, but like many 16 bit jrpg's (I know Ocarina isn't one of them, but it's a similar situation), I feel it doesn't hold up well for replay.

It's all about the sense of discovery. And once you've discovered everything, and know the answer to every puzzle, the combat and gameplay don't really hold it up for revisits IMO. It still has a fantastic aesthetic though.

I vastly prefer Majora's Mask, because I feel the story and atmosphere has a level of depth that's absent in the rest of the series and rare within the whole medium. Some people say it's more annoying to play (don't really agree?), but I honestly don't give a fuck about the gameplay in any Zelda anymore: I'm just there for the experience.