• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Advanced Techniques in SG

sauce_fonda

Hi there.
Reaction score
Steam
howdyimtravis
PSN
sauce_fonda
Eliza Parasoul
So I've been playing Skullgirls for some time now and I was wondering what were the advance techniques of this game? For example, option selects in Street Fighter, or instant air dashing (or Turn-Around IAD) in P4A.

I think I've run into the term "chicken blocking" before, but I couldn't find a solid explanation of what the technique was. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this fighter and I'd love to master it.

- IADs are a given, with characters like Filia, Valentine, Peacock and Ms. Fortune.

- Pushblocks are a thing

- We have counter assists (blocking into an assist switch yknow)

- DHCs

- Resets and Restands are almost necessary for higher-tier gameplay

- Every character has some form of Anti-air (Updo, generally launchers, Excellebella, some supers)

- Burst baits are great tools, allowing you to set up a combo just after finishing one because they missed a burst. You can even repeat the same combo for lols.

Reactions: sauce_fonda
- IADs are a given, with characters like Filia, Valentine, Peacock and Ms. Fortune.

- Pushblocks are a thing

- We have counter assists (blocking into an assist switch yknow)

- DHCs

- Resets and Restands are almost necessary for higher-tier gameplay

- Every character has some form of Anti-air (Updo, generally launchers, Excellebella, some supers)

- Burst baits are great tools, allowing you to set up a combo just after finishing one because they missed a burst. You can even repeat the same combo for lols.
Some of these are basic gameplay elements and/or taught in the tutorial...

@Age made a thread detailing some but I don't know where it is anymore.

Maybe crossovers and crossunders. Tag combos?

Push Block Guard Canceling is one of the best "advanced tech" this game has, only problem is that its basically random.

@Age made a thread detailing some but I don't know where it is anymore.
I believe it's this one. (I'm not one to have a educated opinion on such matters but it does surprise me that this thread isn't stickied.)

I happened to look for it recently as I'm getting back into the game and reaching that point where I have to learn these things.

I believe it's this one. (I'm not one to have a educated opinion on such matters but it does surprise me that this thread isn't stickied.)

I happened to look for it recently as I'm getting back into the game and reaching that point where I have to learn these things.

Thank you for this! I never realized so many advanced techniques that I use in Street Fighter 4 are also in Skullgirls. I'm definitely going to spend my weekend in the lab with my team.

One more question, do option selects exist in Skullgirls?

Thank you for this! I never realized so many advanced techniques that I use in Street Fighter 4 are also in Skullgirls. I'm definitely going to spend my weekend in the lab with my team.

One more question, do option selects exist in Skullgirls?
Pretty much all games have option selects to some degree.

You don't need to memorise an encyclopedia full of them to be allowed the privelage of playing any mindgames on your opponent like in SFIV though.

But yes, there are a few very crucial things I think should be the FIRST THING any new Skullgirls player learns. "Advanced" or not.

Pushblocking properly (when to pushblock late, when to not pushblock at all)
Pushblock Absolute Guard (most important single technique in the entire game that will keep you from dying, can avoid high/low and even left/right mixups to an extent through proper usage)
Pushblock Guard Cancel (this one IS a bit more advanced, but even if you can't do it yet, you should be aware of what it is, what it can do for you and that your opponent may be using it on you)
Pushblock Baiting (pushblock input is 2 punches. Dash input is 2 punches. Dashes in Skullgirls aren't invincible. Mindgame time!)

So I've been playing Skullgirls for some time now and I was wondering what were the advance techniques of this game? For example, option selects in Street Fighter, or instant air dashing (or Turn-Around IAD) in P4A.

I think I've run into the term "chicken blocking" before, but I couldn't find a solid explanation of what the technique was. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this fighter and I'd love to master it.
Chicken Blocking is when you, to put it simply, air block. It's actually more complex than that but people throw around the term to refer to air blocking. When you air block, you don't have to worry about high/low mixups and landing cancels out any remaining blockstun.

True Chicken Blocking is when you run up to somebody's face then jump and block. It's a high-risk footsies tool designed to bait poke attempts and punish them (when the opponent thought they were safe, generally because the lessened blockstun fucks with safeness). It's called Chicken Blocking because you're effectively playing Chicken when you do this.

Skullgirls has a ton of things that you'll find in other games (like option selects and instant air dashes) and a bunch of things that are unique to it and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Most of them are just emergent things that occur as a result of common mechanics (option selects being the result of an input buffer, instant air dashes being a result of air dashes, kara-cancels* being the result of programmer-end leniency, etc.). The game also has alpha counters, snapbacks, and a bunch of other system-specific mechanics.

*Yeah, you can kara throw in this game, but Squigly's basically the only character who gets any use out of it.

I've been seeing this forum and is a little complicated, when users put combos in the forum what means >adc>

I've been seeing this forum and is a little complicated, when users put combos in the forum what means >adc>
Airdash cancel. Any aerial normal (and certain air specials and throws) can be cancelled into an airdash either anytime during the move or just during the recovery, specific to the cancelled move.

Reactions: anikilatorpr
Chicken Blocking is when you, to put it simply, air block. It's actually more complex than that but people throw around the term to refer to air blocking. When you air block, you don't have to worry about high/low mixups and landing cancels out any remaining blockstun.

This.