• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

An Idea I Have

Reaction score
Steam
Zillagod
Eliza
Hello to everyone here on the forums. I'm Mysterygamer3k or Mike if you prefer. I've been interested and liked Skullgirls since it released on consoles but I'm far out of practice and am still by and large a complete novice at fighters in general and at Skullgirls especially. I have a desire to better my skills, to try and learn the difficult things that are required to become better at fighters and Skullgirls as well, the detailed mechanics and small things that require the utmost attention. It's a huge curve to overcome as most anyone would tell you. There's a massive barrier of entry for anyone that wishes to get into fighting games and it's a barrier that all too often pushes most people away from the games. It is my belief that anyone can become a high level player, with the proper dedication but even more than that, skilled and knowledgeable teachers whom can truly help someone new learn the skills they need to in order to succeed.

This leads to my point though, I promise. I want to create, as an experimental idea, a series of videos on Youtube and even possibly streams, that show me learning, though I realize that it's nearly impossible to teach one's self everything that needs to be worked on, since there is a wrong way to learn, possibly reinforcing bad habits or behaviors, doing things in ways that are counterproductive to improving, and dedicating practice time to the wrong places and the wrong things. Some say that throwing yourself through matches time after time is the only way to learn but I have to believe that it simply isn't true. That's not to say that playing in matches isn't important, far from it, but when you're just going through match after match with no discernible goal or without knowing what it is you're doing wrong in every match and without knowing what you need to be working on throughout each match puts you at a major disadvantage and can even keep you from growing and learning as a player.

I'm hoping that some more experienced players may like to help me with this project as I can't do it alone, not from the very beginning at the very least. I'm willing to put myself completely at the mercy of others to learn and am willing to forget anything and everything I believe I know already in order to learn what I need to in order to better my skills and progress as a player. If other beginners and novices wish to also do this, I welcome it and hope that many others may be willing to try this approach to learning, apprenticing in a sort of way, if you will. I also hope that some or at least one other very experienced player would be willing to help me learn from literally square 1 that doesn't have a problem with having their voice recorded and having their gameplay recorded and shared on an outlet such as Youtube or Twitch.

I understand this is quite a large idea and is also asking a lot, but as I said it's merely an experiment I've had in mind for a long time and am hoping I might at least get the chance to try for a while, to maybe help others that watch learn and see the experience I have learning from others that are more experienced than myself one step at a time as well as doing practice matches online, while I'm doing things that are like "homework" trying to work on specific things later on. This could even involve arranged lobbies and matches if desired later on.

Please feel free to share thoughts and opinions on this idea and let me know with replies or even private messages if anyone that reads this of a high skill level would like to get involved with this idea. ^^

Reactions: SkullPiece