• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Looking for Advice/Training Buddies.

Pomegranates

Reaction score
Steam
Pomegranates
Cerebella Filia
I first heard about Skullgirls during the Indiegogo campaign. My friend was really excited about it and he was telling me how good it looked to him. At that point in time the only fighting game experience I had was playing Mortal Kombat occasionally on my uncle's SNES.

Anyway, it ended up coming out on Xbox 360 and I had one, but my friend was waiting for the Steam release to play. So I ended up buying the game on my 360 so he and I could play together. I figured that maybe fighting games were fun and I had been missing out on some great competition over the years that I've been gaming. So I started playing, got through the tutorials and was instantly hooked, playing and practicing combos nearly every day.

Then, the Beta Tournament happened, I decided to enter because I didn't see any reason not to, and because I thought it would be a good idea to see how intense competition really is in the fighting game community. Needless to say, I got stomped due to my inexperience, and put the game down for a while, vowing to come back and avenge my defeat during the beta tournament.

I've recently come back to the game trying to fulfill the vow that I made to myself, but before I really get into it, I'm going to need some help.

Firstly, the only character I played for a long time was Cerebella. I was pretty inspired by Zidiane playing solobella all the time so I decided I would follow in his footsteps. Then I was feeling like playing something a bit less calculating and slow, and more rushdown-ish (is that a word?) and fast, so I picked up playing Filia. So the help I need, essentially, is deciding who to use as a third character for my team, how the team should be ordered, and why.

Secondly, the little amount of online matches I've played I just get completely wrecked in neutral, so I need training partners to train against to get better at it, as it's not something I can get better at by playing against the bots, they have terrible neutral games ) :

TL;DR

Need a third character for Cerebella/Filia team.
Need practice partners.

Thanks in advance.

Quick advice for having a better neutral:

Dont attack so much.
Movement is the most important thing (try to never stand still at neutral)
Lead with your assists because its less detrimental to your game to have your assist hit while your point can counter hit the opponent, than it is for your point to get hit... (you cant do anything)
Try not to wiff moves (applies to assists as well) because that gives your opponent a better chance at making you block something or get hit, neither of which is good. Use superior movement to put yourself in position to attack.
Everyone is vulnerable when landing, look for your opponents movement options/patterns and try to make them block on the way down from any jumps or double jumps that wiffed close enough to you to apply pressure.
Learn all of your characters specific hit confirms and especially air to air confirms.

Learn all these things and your game will go up. Also the nightmare computer isnt that bad to learn against, it moves and blocks a lot so practicing not wiffing against it while also hitconfirming against it can mak your game better. The nightmare computer is basically a movement and hitconfirm dummy.

Reactions: sauce_fonda