• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band DLC unavailable

Guwange

Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ararce
I already tried emailing to bugreport@labzerogames.com about this to no avail.

Hi, I bought Skullgirls on Steam in Nov 18th of 2013. I got the Squigly DLC but I never bought the extra palette DLC. I stopped playing sometime around March and a couple days ago I reinstalled Skullgirls, however Big Band isnt selectable and instead it says "Download Content Available". The DLC page is charging me $4.99.

As I remember, I'm entitled to the Big Band DLC because I bought the game before the DLC was released. There also the info on the following page: http://store.steampowered.com/news/13097/

"...is Now Available on Steam and is completely free for owners of the base game!..."

Nowhere in that page, nor when I bought the game there was any mention of "free DLC for 3 months". I own over 700 Steam games and I cant keep track of stuff like this for every game I purchase. Compare this to DCS World: I bought A-10 Thunderbolt stand-alone version almost two years ago, then I got automatically upgraded to the DCS World DLC edition when it was released on Steam and I even got a couple DLC planes for free I never previously paid for.

My Steam profile is
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ararce

I can provide proof of purchase if you request it.

BTW, this is not about spending or not 5 dollars to get DLC, its about support and customer service.

It's not their fault you missed out on the DLC. Its been a known fact since Squiggly that the free period is three months. Just pay the five bucks if you want to play him and remember to download Eliza for free in her three month period.
Kthxbye

If you didn't redeem it, you didn't get it.

Missed your chance to get it free, if ya want it, pay up.

Seriously, there s no need for "support" to answer (not to mention you are writing in the wrong place for that). It was stated that you could get him free in the first 3 months, and you missed that. Nothing to talk about.

Since you missed the few dozens of times it was mentioned, have a link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing

Go to section "How will this work".

This isn't a support forum, and it's not a bug, so bugreport@labzerogames.com is probably not the correct place to seek support.

However, I can't find mention of a support email address on their site, the steam store page, or Lab Zero's site. So that should probably be addressed. I'd try tweeting to the Lab Zero or Skullgirls twitter. Probably the fastest way to get a reponse.

That's not necessary, it was clearly stated that the DLC would be free for a period of three months, you didn't download it, you have no right to claim it afetr that period was over.

edit: ninja'd

He was free for three months after release, and if you redeemed him in that time you could own him forever. That news article was written on the first day of his release, during which you had 89 more days to acquire him for free which weren't capitalized upon...

Sorry, dude. If it's any consolation, Big Band is worth way more than $5 IMO. Buy him if you can!

Also, don't be late again; get Eliza for free when she releases this Tuesday.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
This is the support site, they post and answer questions. Every time a character is released they blast it loud and clear that the character is free for a limited time. Check their announcements on Steam or PS blog articles.

Sorry you missed those 3 months to download Big Band.

sorry buddy gotta cough up those 5 dollar foot longs. IF i cared about Microsoft video game systems i would pay money for big band (not squiggly i can't get use to her)

Hello! I work for Lab Zero. This thread was brought to my attention.

I'm afraid what others have said is correct, and the period to download Big Band for free has expired. I don't know who wrote the thing on Steam you linked to, but if it was indeed us, I hope you'll forgive us for not being more clear. We've gone through great efforts to try to inform as many people as possible about upcoming

By the way, our DLC was funded by our (gracious! generous! stupendous!) fans through an Indiegogo campaign early last year, so since they technically already paid for that DLC, we are make it available to buy/download/redeem/whatever for a period of 3 months when each new DLC character is released. That means you can download them for free even if you didn't back the campaign and "pay" for them in advance! You already did so with Squigly. Hope you liked her!

In the same way you have 700 games and can't keep track of this kind of thing, we also can't keep track of which people own Skullgirls and haven't redeemed something we openly offered for free for 3 months. It's up to you to take advantage of that offer.

And it's easy to count all DLC as equivalent when comparing it to other games, but we spend many months and countless hours to create these characters. We happen to think $5 is really cheap for this kind of thing, considering other games (*cough* *cough* BlazBlue, UMvC3 *cough* *cough*) charge around $7.50 and aren't animated to the same level of quality.

As I remember, I'm entitled to the Big Band DLC because I bought the game before the DLC was released.

This is incorrect. We have never said this.

Sorry to be a downer! But you'll still have the opportunity to download Eliza (who comes out next week!), Beowulf, and Robo Fortune for free when each of them is release.

By the way, our DLC was funded by our (gracious! generous! stupendous!) fans through an Indiegogo campaign early last year, so since they technically already paid for that DLC, we are make it available to buy/download/redeem/whatever for a period of 3 months when each new DLC character is released. That means you can download them for free even if you didn't back the campaign and "pay" for them in advance! You already did so with Squigly. Hope you liked her!

In the same way you have 700 games and can't keep track of this kind of thing, we also can't keep track of which people own Skullgirls and haven't redeemed something we openly offered for free for 3 months. It's up to you to take advantage of that offer.

And it's easy to count all DLC as equivalent when comparing it to other games, but we spend many months and countless hours to create these characters. We happen to think $5 is really cheap for this kind of thing, considering other games (*cough* *cough* BlazBlue, UMvC3 *cough* *cough*) charge around $7.50 and aren't animated to the same level of quality.
Good Guy Lab Zero B3

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 100% positive I never read about the "three months rule" in the Steam Store page when I bought the game, and I read it for every game I buy. You never know when a publisher tries to sell you something with TAGES or another dangerous DRM.

It sounds logical, but you are alienating early buyers, specially those who may want to give the game a second chance. I stopped playing Skullgirls for some reason. Now I can't return unless I pay money, because this is a fighting game and if I'm going to spend time training for this, I need all the characters. And then, of course, I remember that i stopped playing this for some reason. This is not about the 5 dollars, I've spent a lot more money on rubbish (I preordered Duke Nukem Forever), I've even spent money on Steam cards. I'm not even sure that I'm going to get the future DLCs for free, just because I won't spend the time to keep track of the launch dates.

No, most publishers (everyone except Lab Zero Games) in Steam handle this automatically. Otherwise I would have never got Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2, all the DLC for Resident Evil 6 or the map packs for Alien vs Predator, just to name a few.

This is incorrect. We have never said this.

I didn't think necessary to save/printscreen the shop page and the description when I bought the game. I pretty much bought this thinking this worked like a Season Pass, where every new content released would be added and registered automatically.

I already bought your game but I doubt I'm spending any more money in anything made by Lab Zero Games. I don't know why I stopped playing your game in the first place, but I'm not going to bother finding out why.

Im sad that I can't keep track of my games, pls shower me with DLC that I dont even want to bother keeping track of

It said it was free for a limited time in the steam store
There are enough Announcements when the game updates with the DLC that is free telling you to go and download it and when the free download period ends

the only thing I could POSSIBLEY see L0 making a mistake with is not putting a "can" in the following sentence
"Buying now ensures that you get these amazing DLC characters free!"
but Like I said the constant reminders of it being free to download are more than enough, your loss, they go on sale often though so there is that

Gonna tell Google they should give me the past free albums because there's too much other stuff for me to do to redeem it myself and should've been bros and added it to my library.

Are you really complaining about Lab Zero handing out something for free for three months, and threatening to take your "business" elsewhere because they won't give you something for free that you could have gotten yourself if you had paid attention to the game? And this system is "alienating early buyers"? Most early buyers cared enough about SG to take the five seconds out of their day to redeem Squigly and Big Band for free when they came out, dude. Or in the quarter-of-a-year window following their releases.

And just an FYI, everyone got free Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 when it came over to Steamworks, 2K didn't have to track jack beans sofaras who to give it to.

And just an FYI, everyone got free Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 when it came over to Steamworks, 2K didn't have to track jack beans sofaras who to give it to.

That was my whole point. You quoted it but it still went over your head.

BTW, you really need some resemblance of a support forum and support mail. Some people may not try to give your game a second chance.

That's implying that Lab Zero wants the characters they spend $300,000USD each working on to be free forever, though? Which they don't. Which is why you can't get Big Band for free right now, because you missed the three month period where he was free. You can get Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune for free when they release, but because you were late with Big Band, you'll need to buy him. When SG is on sale, he's discounted at like... $2, that's nothing.

And can you please stop threatening to not give SG a second chance because they aren't giving you something for free? This isn't telephone support, no one's job is at risk if you let the door hit you on the way out. (Although I would prefer you didn't, because this game is pretty dang fun.)

The 3 month free to everyone who pays attention window is a thing because generating codes for all backers of the igg campaign across all platforms is an expense that they didn't want to add to that crowdfunding campaign. Outside of Fukua, which you got for free in a update because she is not dlc, is funded by the fans.

I don't think you're going to find sympathy here for missing out on free stuff this rabid fanbase graciously donated nearly a mil to have exist.

This isn't really a bug, is it? why's it in bug reports?

This isn't really a bug, is it? why's it in bug reports?
The initial complaint is listed like a bug. "I can't download DLC I should be able to", so it's fine in here.

That was my whole point. You quoted it but it still went over your head.
It's been said a couple of times, but the reason BB was free at all is because he was paid for via a crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo.
Lab Zero had two main options when releasing the characters for that IGG:
1) Generate free download tokens for everyone who backed the campaign and charge everyone else $5 for the character from day 1.
2) Give away the DLC for free to everyone for a 3 month window after release, then increase the price.

In every scenario Big Band was going to cost the $5 to buy. The route they went with is far more lenient to those who did not back the campaign. Anyone who did back it will probably be keeping up to date on when a character releases and will not miss out on the 3 month window.

Lab Zero have documented and advertised this 3 month free window constantly. It's unfortunate that you missed out on those announcements and the window, but very few people ever turn up here or on Steam asking about why the characters cost money.

BTW, you really need some resemblance of a support forum and support mail. Some people may not try to give your game a second chance.
This kinda is the support forum for the moment, but we'll have a look into making something more appropriate for not specifically game bug related queries.

Sorry if it feels everyone here is jumping down your throat on this, but the whole 3 month window thing is a pretty great deal as far as I can see so I guess people are sensitive about it being called out.

Last edited:
I and a lot of the people on this board contributed above and beyond the 15$ price point to make this game happen, if it was up to me LZ would have charged twice as much for the base game, and charge non backers for the dlc day one. They only just started making a profit this year after the game has been out for years. Get off your high horse and fork out some cash, are you 12? I get so fucking tired of people begging for handouts and complaining that the 15$ price tag is too expensive and asking when is it going to be on sale.

Skip eating out one time and buy all the dlc, or if you're a little kid, go mow a lawn. You don't get a gold star just for showing up.

Skip eating out one time and buy all the dlc, or if you're a little kid, go mow a lawn. You don't get a gold star just for showing up.
Easy there. It's a legitimate mistake. He thought he was entitled to permanently free DLC when it was only temporary. No need to be rude about it.

why are you blaming lab zero for your own lack of understanding lol

if you really want to try before you buy, big band and eliza are fully playable in the endless beta even without their dlc

just admit you fucked up bro

Sory I got carried away