• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band s.MK note inputs

Shanley

Reaction score
PSN
miller4ever
Big Band Cerebella
I care a lot about using Big Band's s.MK and level 5 super, but right now the inputs for the notes are not very intuitive for anyone besides trumpet players, which is a relatively uncommon instrument.

My suggestion for the inputs is as follows:

C - LP
C#/Db - LP + MP
D - MP
D#/Eb - MP + HP
E - HP
F - LK
F#/Gb - LK + MK
G - MK
G#/Ab - MK + HK
A - HK
A#/Bb - LP + HP or LK + MK + HK
B - LK + HK or LP + MP + HP

This does sacrifice the small amount of authenticity you want from the trumpet, but would make the barrier of entry for people learning to play awesome things much lower.

It would be even sicker if you could hold out notes. Then I wouldn't care about the inputs. But that would understandably be a lot harder to implement than the input changes.

People have been already learning trumpet solos for the last few months. Not many would likely want the input set to change at this point.

What about newer players?

For what purpose does a newer player need to learn the trumpet? With the exception of his LVL5 input, it only functions as a taunt. I prefer that it more-or-less has the same fingering as a real trumpet (which is neat) over the dubious intuitiveness it receives by making the fingering akin to a piano.

And FYI from someone who has never played a trumpet in their life, the only thing you need to bother learning is what keypresses correlate to which note... I think Mike even wrote that down in the patchnotes when s.MP got its first sounds.

I managed this in 30 minutes of transcribing notes to s.MP by ear. It ain't haaaaard