• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

character themes?

akindhobo

derp
Reaction score
Steam
a_kind_hobo
Squigly Eliza
Someone's probably already asked this but why did the team decide to go with stage themes instead of character themes? Personally I think a character theme is more memorable and helps make the character stand out. Also I always thought it was pretty cool in mvc when your character goes down and the other one jumps in the music switches to their theme.

Reactions: loonieboy9697
Character themes would be cool to hear eventually, but I like that they went with stage themes to start with. World-building is much more important for Skullgirls than MvC, so it's good that while we're interacting with the characters, the themes help to establish the tone of the environments they live in. If character themes are ever added later, that'll just mean a more robust soundtrack overall.

To your question though, I'd speculate that early in development, it was just easier for them to figure out the number of stages they could develop by the release date. They wouldn't want to pay for 9 character themes if only 7 characters were going to make it out the door, or somehow squeeze out 10 characters and have to commission an extra theme on short notice. So, once Yamane was signed up, they probably just felt stage themes would be a more economical use of her time and talents.

Because as much as I love Unfinished Business, I don't wanna hear Unfinished Business 50% of the time I play as Big Band (which is 100% of the time). Also, it's silly to have a super serious-looking stage that has the comic relief character's bubblegum pop themesong playing.

The stages are usually themed towards certain characters, anyways:

• Lab 8 - Peacock/Valentine
  • Under the Bridge - Big Band
  • Bath of Tefnut - Eliza
  • Glass Canopy - Parasoul
  • Cathedral - Double
  • Medici Tower - Cerebella
  • Little Innsmouth - Ms. Fortune
  • Maplecrest/Nightmare Crest - Painwheel/Fukua
  • Streets of New Meridian - Filia
  • New Meridian Rooftops - Squigly

Last edited:
I agree that id rather hear a variety of stage music than character themes ala marvel. Some of the ones in mvl3 are so frigging bad. I always turnesd those off.

I still want those as unlockable themes in game..I would play the game 100 times over against marie or whatever the game requires so I can unlock those CpS2 themes X3