• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows CTD upon game startup

gold163

Hello, recently I've been unable to launch Skullgirls, not through Steam nor through just launching SkullGirls.exe. The game itself launches, I can see the loading screen before the game goes fullscreen, but once the game attempts to go fullscreen and the logo music plays there's a momentary black screen and the game crashes to desktop. It doesn't get as far as the logos and main menu. I've tried validating the game cache (it says everything's fine), I've uninstalled and re-installed the game through Steam but no dice. There are some memory dump files in the game folder for every crash. I don't know how long this has been happening since I hadn't launched the game for weeks, but if I had to guess I'd say it's been happening since the Beowulf update since everything before that worked fine. Any ideas on how to fix this, or should I be asking on Steam Community?

Hey, sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that I think I found the problem. I went to Documents/Skullgirls/Save Data/ and deleted the VIDEOSETTINGS.BIN file. This reset the resolution and allowed me to start the game into the main menu. I went to the video settings menu, attempted to set the resolution to 1280x720 Fullscreen, and the game crashed again. Windowed and Borderless Fullscreen seem to work fine.

Trying at different resolutions, the Fullscreen mode seems to be the problem here. I don't see anybody else with this problem so it might have to do with recent video driver updates. For reference, I'm running an Nvidia GeForce 840m with a i5-4210U on a Win8.1 laptop.

Back