• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Doom the Roguelike and Jupiter Hell

Shadowfury333

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Steam
Shadowfury333
Fukua
19.png

I'm not sure how big into roguelikes people are on SH, but I figure I'll share my favourite: Doom the Roguelike (or now DRL/D**m the Roguelike due to Zenimax). It's basically what it sounds like, Doom as a top-down turn-based roguelike, it's quite fast-paced, since enemies don't respawn, floors are small, and you can only go down. It's also highly range-based, which is unusual for a roguelike, but fits the theme. It's also free, if you wanted to try it out. Runs often take only 15-30 minutes (or 1-2 hours to reach the end, if you reach the end), and it can be mostly mouse controlled.

R5E58J8l.jpg

Anyway, if that looks cool, it's getting an original IP followup: Jupiter Hell. From what has been revealed it's basically the same idea, but with a bit more added beyond just "run through and shoot". Basically, 3 areas (kinda like the episodes in Doom), but with some freedom to move around before moving to the next area, and with specific requirements to get to the next. Apparently those requirements are going change from run to run, as well as more story stuff tucked away everywhere.

The idea for story stuff being to do something like Dark Souls where every element of the enemies and environment means something and ties into the larger story, but without pushing it in your face. The basic overview is the standard 80s "evil megacorp tries to take evil thing and gets burned, now you clean it up" plot, but with more to it if you dig into the game.

Supplementary nerdy technical video overview

It's also in full 3d, and has an animation system designed to tween animations for multiple keypresses, so if you want to go fast, you don't have to wait until the animations stop while still having them.
Here's an extreme demonstration.

It's currently rounding out its Kickstarter, which is still open for the next 3 days.

Jupiter Hell got funded, so that's cool. There's still time to get into the "get builds early" tiers, but it's going to be a thing. The swoodness will continue.