• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Finishing Moves

Should Skullgirls have finishing moves?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No

Votes: 53 98.1%

• Total voters

Domayv

Reaction score
Skullgirls is an awesome fighting game, and it would be even more awesome if it had finishing moves a la Mortal Kombat's Fatalities and Killer Instinct's No Mercies. Here's the thing: all three of them are western-made fighting games. These finishing moves would be called something like "Curtain Call", a reference to ending a play by dropping the curtains.

These finishers would also have variations
* G-Rated: The character turns their opponents into an infant version of the character. To perform the finisher, you must not block on the winning round. The name is a reference to the G rating, a rating that says that the product bearing the rating is suitable for any age.
* For All Ages: The character perform various (and highly unlikely) acts of kindness and goodwill towards their helpless opponent instead of killing them after winning the match. This includes giving a birthday present, blowing bubbles and doing a funny dance. To perform the finisher, you must not block on the winning round. The name is a reference to the slogan "for all ages", alluding to the fact that the victim doesn't get violently finished off, thus making the scene "suitable for all ages".
* Mondo: The character turns into an animal to kill their opponent. To perform the finisher, you must perform a Reprisal (press down, down, down + all three punch buttons/all three kick buttons) when the "Snuff Him/Her" pops up and defeat your opponent again. The name is a reference to the Mondo film, a subgenre of the exploitation film, which includes an emphasis on taboo subjects, portrayals of "foreign" cultures, and staged sequences presented as genuine documentary footage.
* Splatter: Special attacks, Blockbusters or combos that kill the opponent outright in a more violent fashion similar to a Snuff. An example of a Splatter being used as a finisher has Peacock using her BANG! BANG! BANG! special where she shoots her opponent up to three times with her revolver, the Splatter finisher has Peacock repeatedly shoot her opponent but instead of stopping after she shoots thrice she repeatedly shoots her opponent until they remain nothing but their skeleton. In addition, many of the Splatters in the game require different criteria to meet, and they can literally be anything such as performing special moves a number of times. However, they all share the one thing in common in that the required special move must be the one that depletes the health gauge completely and even then, the attack must be delivered under certain circumstances such as hitting them in the head. The name is a reference to the splatter film subgenre, which deliberately focuses on graphic portrayals of gore and graphic violence.

NOTE: To turn on/off Snuffs, go to the options menu. In the options menu, it will show "Mature Content", which has 3 levels. "Normal" is the same as the vanilla game in terms of the level of violence, "Hurt me plenty" has the characters bleed whenever they get hit, and "Ultraviolence" has the same level of violence as the "Hurt me plenty" option plus the finishing moves.

EDIT: Because of TechPowah's suggestion, I'm changing the names of the finishers from "Snuff" to "Curtain Call".

Last edited:
http://skullheart.com/index.php?threads/skullgirls-instant-kills.4060/

^ This idea of flashy finishers for SG was already tossed around before.

Mortal Kombat already played around with having your character kill himself/herself ala 'Hara-Kiri'. Your also pretty much asking for MK finishers [Babalities, Friendship, and Brutalties in that order]. Also don't think Skullgirls would want to be associated with the term 'Snuffs' as a game mechanic name.

http://skullheart.com/index.php?threads/skullgirls-instant-kills.4060/

^ This idea of flashy finishers for SG was already tossed around before.

Mortal Kombat already played around with having your character kill himself/herself ala 'Hara-Kiri'. Your also pretty much asking for MK finishers [Babalities, Friendship, and Brutalties in that order]. Also don't think Skullgirls would want to be associated with the term 'Snuffs' as a game mechanic name.
They did? Never knew that before.

Anyways, that being said, what could work as a better game mechanic name than 'Snuff'.

As for the board you were linking me to, they were taking about Arc System Works (i.e. Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena) style finishers (where you can perform them any time in the match). What I'm talking about in this thread is Mortal Kombat-style finishers, where you perform them right at the end of the match. Also, I didn't talk about hara-kiri-type finishers.

I'll show a comparison between the two

Arc System Works-style finishers

Mortal Kombat-style finishers

Last edited:
Yeah, something about that just doesn't fit skullgirls.

what could work as a better game mechanic name than 'Snuff'.
ANYTHING

Like that actually works pretty well with the film theme, but dang dude that shit is WAY TOO dark to even be referenced in Skullgirls

Um....sorry no. We already have a little something akin to MVC's HYPER COMBO FINISHES when you KO the opponent with a Super. Not to mention that every character has a flashy Level 3 and some even have Level 5s! Adding a MK esque finisher would mean more work for Mike and the SG crew, which they are honestly just about finished with. Sorry, but its not happening.

Reactions: North888
Plus a finisher without a twist would be a waste o their time even if they could implement it! Unless it was a meta game like Persona 4 Arena or Guilty Gear, where the finisher can abrubtly end a match and actually means something, it wouldn't be worth implementing. And trying to come up with a rating system ersion of it would be pointless. Might as well just have one version and be done with it. :/

EDIT: and given the way "rounds" work in SG, that's even less likely, since one round IS THE MATCH.
tl;dr: It ain't happenin' bruh, for more than one reason.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of pouring money into things that you can only see and use when it doesn't matter and the game is over. What a waste of resources, time and money.
At least with Arcsys style finishers you can use it when you're playing the game and it still matters, and some are useful.

- She repeatedly shoots her opponent until they remain nothing but their skeleton.
- Which deliberately focuses on graphic portrayals of gore and graphic violence.
- Has the characters bleed whenever they get hit.
- Same level of violence as the "Action Movie" option plus the finishing moves.
Skullgirls is a silly game with silly violence, if at all, and I think a lot of people like it that way.

Reactions: North888
Not to mention that every character has a flashy Level 3 and some even have Level 5s! Adding a MK esque finisher would mean more work for Mike and the SG crew, which they are honestly just about finished with. Sorry, but its not happening.

They could save the MKesque finisher for the next game, when they probably would have enough budget to do so (which would be some time from now, since they're very close to releasing 2nd Encore), but like what you said, they don't have enough budget to do this ATM.

Again, its not even a budget issue. It's how the rounds work. I don't think Mike would be the type of guy to put in finishers unless maybe they were arksys style, where they can affect gameplay and be useful. With the way rounds and meter work, it'd need special circumstances for 1v1s and for scaling between team sizes. It'd just be a massive pain and not worth the effort, really.

SUPER-DUPER TECHNICALLY, Beowulf already has a finisher in the form of the Penguin Feral referee during Full-Hype Blockbuster->Canis Major Press, because he's special like that

Beyond that one specific instance though, I agree with the "Match Finishers doesn't fit SG's style"

Also, let me be the one to suggest to this thread that, should they ever happen in a sequel, the term for a match finisher in SG be called a "Curtain Call". Nice, snappy and still fits in with the theme of the game's terminology being film and cinematography

I could MAYBE see it if sg was 1v1 only, but there are teams and that just complicates it.

I don't like finishing moves unless it's a single player game and I get a big score bonus for pulling em off.

Also, let me be the one to suggest to this thread that, should they ever happen in a sequel, the term for a match finisher in SG be called a "Curtain Call". Nice, snappy and still fits in with the theme of the game's terminology being film and cinematography

That actually is a much better name than "snuff" (as said earlier in the thread, it's too morbid a name). So I guess if there were to be a "Finish him/her", it would be called something like "Close the curtains". Silly, yes, but it would work.

Again, its not even a budget issue. It's how the rounds work. I don't think Mike would be the type of guy to put in finishers unless maybe they were arksys style, where they can affect gameplay and be useful. With the way rounds and meter work, it'd need special circumstances for 1v1s and for scaling between team sizes. It'd just be a massive pain and not worth the effort, really.
I could MAYBE see it if sg was 1v1 only, but there are teams and that just complicates it.

Here's how it would work: the finisher can be performed once the losing team is down to their last member. Also, it can be done even on team mode, as MK9 shows (the only difference is that SG would have one round compared to MK9's two).
Also, as I mentioned earlier, I'm talking of MK-style finishers, not ArcSys-style finishers. Also to mention, these finishers do not require meter and happen right after you down your last opponent in a match.

Dude, I don't know if you realized how creepy is your first post with all these snuff references.

Any super can be considered already as a finisher for me. Look how classy it is to end a math with that.

You already have Mortal Kombat for gruesome content, why Skullgirls should have that?

Dude, I don't know if you realized how creepy is your first post with all these snuff references.

I did realize how creepy it was with the references to snuff films. That's why I easily accepted TechPowah's suggestion of calling these finishers "Curtain Calls" instead of snuffs. Also, I changed the name of the finishing move. It is now "Curtain Call".

You already have Mortal Kombat for gruesome content, why Skullgirls should have that?

Skullgirls could go for that "Grotesque Cute" (or as Japan calls it, "gurokawa") type of game, which seems to be a new trend in Japan (which is, believe it or not, the game's biggest audience).

I haven't seen or heard of any large Skullgirls tournaments from Japan, Korea or China recently.
I think it's mostly NA and EU that keep the game alive.
Unless you just mean drawings and fan art?

I think the style is fine how it is.

I haven't seen or heard of any large Skullgirls tournaments from Japan, Korea or China recently.
I think it's mostly NA and EU that keep the game alive.
Unless you just mean drawings and fan art?

Even then, the game has drawn significant attention from the Japanese aside from the drawings fanart. The game is getting a release in the arcades over there (sadly its publisher went out of business, so it's unknown who will take over that); has drawn attention from Yoshinori Ono and Daisuke Ishiwatari of Capcom and ArcSys fame, respectively; became the #1 downloadable title in Japan upon its release; and Mike Zamont's planning on releasing the final edition of the game (2nd Encore) in Japan in a physical copy in addition to download (although that's because the Japanese aren't as accommodating to DLC as us westerners are).

I think the style is fine how it is.

Just to let you know, the finishing moves will not change the art style. It will remain the same, aside from the increase in gore and violence. In terms of that "grotesque cute" thing I suggested, the game already has the "cute" in it, so it just needs the "grotesque" (which, actually, it's kind of there, but not enough to warrant a genuine "grotesque" in the same level as something like Elfen Lied).

Last edited:
I think Mike Z has said it the best for every new suggestion at this point.

also they have no money to do this even if they wanted to. ONTOP of that the LabZero crew wants to move on and do other stuff.

just saying.

The lack of serious gore and violence IS the style, dude.
There's a stylistic reason why Cerebella doesn't stab you with a knife over and over with tons of hitstop during Excellabella.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midiman and Ryin
There's a stylistic reason why Cerebella doesn't you with a knife over and over with tons of hitstop during Excellabella.
I mean not during that move but she does have knives in her boots that she uses for all kinds of moves. She stabs you super good during her 360, that move would be a fatality in an NRS game.

The answer is a resounding no.

Never mind that realistic gore and whatever doesn't fit in the game (and even regular finishers will never be put in cause the games done), I don't like waiting after the match has been decided for the match to end and let me play another match. So the less of that in my game, the happier I am.

Last edited:
I mean not during that move but she does have knives in her boots that she uses for all kinds of moves. She stabs you super good during her 360, that move would be a fatality in an NRS game.

More like a Brutality since MKX since there is one where Mileena repeatedly stabs you with her sais as a nod to one of her earlier fatalities.

Never mind that realistic gore and whatever doesn't fit in the game (and even regular finishers will never be put in cause the games done)

We could wait for the sequel (which will have a better chance of possibilities than now).

More like a Brutality since MKX since there is one where Mileena repeatedly stabs you with her sais as a nod to one of her earlier fatalities.
It could probably be either one honestly just depends on if it happens during the match or after it. The point I was making was more that they get bisected by a huge ass sword which would probably kill you.

what sequel? cause last time i checked there were no plans for a sequel.

ATM, they're not planning for a sequel since they just have 2nd Encore almost at launch, so they're letting it grow on its own. However, they have a bunch of characters that they're willing to put out via Indiegogo, but they don't have to budget to do so right now, so once 2nd Encore essentially wraps up, then they could work on a hypothetical sequel.

i think you might be confused with the old indiegogo all the way back in 2012 where people could vote for extra DLC characters if the funding went beyond just raising for Squigly. And guess what we are at the end for those characters, so Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and R.Fortune were the ones that people voted in.
Just because there were characters that did not get in doesn't mean that LabZero will do a second game to showcase those characters. In fact you said it yourself "hypothetical" and remember Mike Z wants to take a long break after this is done so the likely-hood of him coming back and making a sequel is very low.

Also your idea of having flashy finishers is something that would not add to the game at all. Mike hates adding in fluff stuff into a game. That's why the only cinematic super in he game is Valentine's lvl3 and you can skip that by holding down a punch button. If you want to take a look at a 2D indie fighting game that has flashy anime finishers i suggest you take a look at Beasts Fury. (but don't hold your breath the team behind that game put finishing the finishers before getting the gameplay squared down first so it's kinda bad.)

this thread is a mess, tho the poll is giving me hope, good job my hennys

There's a stylistic reason why Cerebella doesn't you with a knife over and over with tons of hitstop during Excellabella.

yeah but set the knives on fire

Just because there were characters that did not get in doesn't mean that LabZero will do a second game to showcase those characters. In fact you said it yourself "hypothetical" and remember Mike Z wants to take a long break after this is done so the likely-hood of him coming back and making a sequel is very low.

Now I see.

I have NO IDEA why that was posted. I am now really scared about my phone posting things in random places lol. Sorry.

What the hell Tapatalk.
We can just delete our posts and forget that happened.

I have never seen a more one-sided poll in my life

Reactions: Pickles
Phew I was beginning to think people in this community vote for bad choices like Beowulf.