• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

First Serious Fighting Game I've played

SK2

The Imperious Queen of Executions
Reaction score
Steam
esskaytwo
XBL
SK2 KILLER
Peacock Ms. Fortune Cerebella
Well, I've been pretty good at SSBB, and I think this is the first I've actually found interesting that isn't Persona. May I have some tips to get better at this game? I've gone through the tutorial, but I seem to still get destroyed online by everyone. I can destroy the highest level bots, but I still suck against players.

Don't play against bots. Especially those of the Nightmare difficulty. The bots are able to block anything and everything, placing emphasis on completing your combos. This game has higher emphasis on resets, instead.
Figure out what characters you want to learn to play. Don't worry about team setups or builds or whatever, just choose your favorites.
Practice at least one bread-and-butter combo for each character in Training mode.
Unfortunately, to learn the neutral game for each character, it's going to take many losses online.

Once you get the hang of the neutral game per character (think of what you could've done at the end of each round), I think things will start to click.

It's always hard to give 'tips' without knowing what it is that you need help with.

That said, there's a great quote from the world of Go that is worth repeating here - "Lose your first hundred games quickly". For a beginner, in-game experience against other (human) players is one of the most important things.

Don't play against bots. Especially those of the Nightmare difficulty. The bots are able to block anything and everything, placing emphasis on completing your combos. This game has higher emphasis on resets, instead.
Figure out what characters you want to learn to play. Don't worry about team setups or builds or whatever, just choose your favorites.
Practice at least one bread-and-butter combo for each character in Training mode.
Unfortunately, to learn the neutral game for each character, it's going to take many losses online.

Once you get the hang of the neutral game per character (think of what you could've done at the end of each round), I think things will start to click.
I've learned some fairly basic combo's with Peacock, Valentine, and Fortune, I'll probably go practice their neutral games. Would a 360 gamepad really make a difference?
Learn the neutral game. Learn a combo. Play Fortune.

I fortune 24/7 I don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
You'll learn in due time my son. Fortune will lead you to the light. Then, you will know.

You'll learn in due time my son. Fortune will lead you to the light. Then, you will know.
Fortune is love. Fortune is life.

Would a 360 gamepad really make a difference?
Controller really doesn't matter, as long as you're comfortable with it. There are good players who place high in tournaments with pads.

Remember that losses, especially when starting out, are natural. Don't get too salty, haha.

Reactions: blueberrymilk
Controller really doesn't matter, as long as you're comfortable with it. There are good players who place high in tournaments with pads.

Remember that losses, especially when starting out, are natural. Don't get too salty, haha.
I know, practice makes perfect, I don't lose every match. Just 90%. :P
It's always hard to give 'tips' without knowing what it is that you need help with.

That said, there's a great quote from the world of Go that is worth repeating here - "Lose your first hundred games quickly". For a beginner, in-game experience against other (human) players is one of the most important things.
The thing is, it's really hard to know what I'm failing at.

Last edited:
Don't expect to win just take it slow.
Go watch good players play, and copy what they do. go watch the SoCal Regionals top 8. or check out the Match Videos section on the forums here.

Most likely you just don't know what to do and are playing too slow.
You need to have a game-plan. And you need to be fast, always thinking about your next move, or your opponents next move.

Perhaps I can record my matches and see if I can get help like that.

Yeah, that's a pretty useful thing to do. A few tips for if you decide to do that:
1. Show us your losses - there's so much more to be learned from them than your wins.
2. Write out what you think you did right and wrong. This is incredibly important for a number of reasons.
3. If possible, show us several games you played against the same opponent in the same session.

Yeah, that's a pretty useful thing to do. A few tips for if you decide to do that:
1. Show us your losses - there's so much more to be learned from them than your wins.
2. Write out what you think you did right and wrong. This is incredibly important for a number of reasons.
3. If possible, show us several games you played against the same opponent in the same session.
I plan on just showing a bunch of gameplay, wins and loses, against the same or different opponent.