• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel Fly cancel shortcut - why can't we have one?

Barrogh

Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/barrogh
*dons his flame retardant suit*

Hello ladies and gentlemen(?).
I've been trying to follow SG as of late and while refreshing my knowledge of the game (as well as figuring out changes) I went through some tutorial chapters.
Among other things I went through Squiggly's tutorial (character I didn't know very well at any point) and something caught my attention. You guys probably know that Squiggly has rather unique mechanics that allows her to cancel normals into special stance instantly followed by automatic (perfect?) stance cancel just by inputting a pair (say, PP?) during normal animation instead of inputting quarter+button followed by cancelling button.

I'm pretty sure some people already asked about this, but I haven't found anything, at least here. So, my question is, is there a particular reason what Painwheel doesn't have an option of similar shortcut?
Say, [KK] during reaper cancel window (or any cancel-able recovery, if needed) instead of [QCB+K] (following cancel may or may not be included)?

Now, I understand that technically it wouldn't be as much of a shortcut as it is for Squiggly (the latter requires one more step in the sequence, which makes shortcut that much more helpful), but other than that, is there an argument against that? Do you think it may be worth experimenting with?

Also, just in case someone feels generous enough to write a few words on the matter, is there a tl;dr version of why PW's command run was scrapped? I will probably run into proper discussion while browsing the forum, but eh. TIA if someone bothers with it.

I cant see a reason for fly to activable via KK. I dont see a reason why it cant be included either, though admittedly i havent put to much thought into it.

As far as pws command run (pinion dash) it isnt really a command run. It attacks during the forward movement and has lots of recovery.

It was taken out because a compromise that was elegant enough for balancing the moves power while making it require some executional steps so that the move wasnt highly spammable.... Couldnt be reached.

Everything was either overpowered or underpowered, so it was taken out of her point game and only made available via assist.

KK to activate flight would be awesome

KK to activate flight would be awesome
Hm, I'm not exactly sure that naked KK activating flight is feasible, if that's what you mean. I may be imagining things, but I remember KK for dash was taken down at one point in beta and it was pointed out that it was for a reason. Don't remember details. It makes me think that there may be problems with the input.

Well, thanks for input anyway. I intended to ask just that, is there anything this may interfere with, and also to make a suggestion - just in case. I guess how much this really is an improvement of any sort depends on habit and controller you use - me being keyboard bot probably doesn't help :P

Yo, this isn't a bad question.

Stance cancel shortcut exists because of the general possibility of mucking up a stance cancel and getting either a normal you didn't want or a stance attack you didn't want, because you're doing a stance cancel quickly from a normal attack which normally requires some separate button presses in rapid succession. Stance cancels also want to be as fast as possible, since the cancel can take different lengths of time if you wrongly hold it for extra frames.

Reapers ain't fast, so a shortcut isn't as necessary for execution requirements. The time from button press for Reaper through when she actually is able to fly is 57f, and since the hitstop is like 20f you have a 20f window at the end of those 57f to get the fastest possible flight. Plus, flight startup is the same length regardless of how you input it.

As well, if KK were a shortcut for flying in some cases, there would be cases where players would try to do Reaper -> Thresher, accidentally hit KK a frame early and get flight, do the super on button release, and have used up the fly cancel so she'd no longer be able to fly after the super. This is similar to the reason why PP is the unfly command instead of KK, to prevent some "accidental" OS's.

Oh, well then. I knew it was possible that I'm overlooking something, and indeed, Thresher is a major concern from where I'm standing.
Thank you for explanation!

Can't promise I won't keep terrible ideas coming though :FUK:

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to use that smiley improperly.

You don't have to be so self-deprecating. It's not a terrible idea, and it requires some thought to discover why it doesn't exist. It helps lower-level play at the expense of mid- and high-level play in instances where you wouldn't be able to react properly when it happens.