• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Future Contest Ideas - Art Forum Edition!

Cellsai

BEEP BOOP BAN
Reaction score
Website
askminette.tumblr.com
Valentine Cerebella
So the recent design a costume for Eliza contest went down pretty well. I want to run more contests in the future and am curious to see what kinds of things you'd like to see.
I have a few ideas for contests already being planned, but I'd also like some input on your end :)

I have another thread going in the General Gaming forum for their angles on contests, so in here I'm looking specifically for music, art, writing, etc.

Also, what kinds of prizes would you like to see? (Please don't ask for stuff like getting content added to the game, like palettes or whatever as prizes, but contests involving hypothetical additions are fine!)

Last edited:
Quoting myself from the other thread

And a random idea from trying to think of stuff I'd actually be able to participate in, how about a music contest? Performing a track from the game on our instrument (or voice) of choice.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Let me get the obvious one out of the way.....
Original/Fan character contest, of course the character has to fit in the skullgirls universe.

I also love the stage design contest idea!

i always dreamed that squigs would get a creepy graveyard stage.

perhaps if it happens there should be a small explanation as to how it fits into tthe skullgirls universe. there could be some amazing entries.

Quoting myself from the other thread

And a random idea from trying to think of stuff I'd actually be able to participate in, how about a music contest? Performing a track from the game on our instrument (or voice) of choice.
I like this idea. To lower the barrier to entry though, having people sing or play along to an existing ingame track as backing music might work better. Oh, and put entertainment value over performance quality.

P.S. Big Band should count as an instrument.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
I know I'm not an artist around here, but here's my idea.

Pick a character not from Skullgirls. Preexisting in other media, original, whatever. And make three mock screenshots of that character in the game. Maybe each mockup has to be a different thing, I dunno. This would test a variety of art-related skills instead of simply if you can draw the character in Skullgirls's art style.

Reactions: Jelly
The Anniemation contest

Whoever can anniemate the most/best Annies wins.

But the real winner is me

We all know who would win in that contest...

I vote for stage design... or a special move (or blockbuster?) design and/or animation for Robo or Beowulf. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ink_deer
Maybe the winner gets the move put in-game.
"Please don't ask for stuff like getting content added to the game"

Ooh, but a Blockbuster design contest souns awesome.

Well they've got Peacock's train blockbuster pretty much finished, same as Eliza's chariot but they cut them for the sake of gameplay and functionality. Basically, even you made an actual functioning blockbuster for a character that they could easily implement into the game they still wouldn't want it.
That being said, I'd be awesome if that Frankensteinian Annie fan frame effort managed to create a functioning character and get it in the game.

Making a contest
to design a new Blockbuster is fine. Making a contest where the prize is getting your blockbuster design added to the game is not going to happen.

I like the Original/Fan Character Contest idea.

How about a Robo-Fortune Loading Screen Art Contest.

Making a contest
to design a new Blockbuster is fine. Making a contest where the prize is getting your blockbuster design added to the game is not going to happen.
How bout an entry in the ingame image gallery tho?

How bout an entry in the ingame image gallery tho?
You have to remember that while this is the official LZ forum and the staff do stop in here a lot, this forum is not run by Lab Zero. It will be a rare thing if prizes for game content are given out. This is why I'm mainly fishing for ideas that can be run separately from them.

How about a contest where people try to draw characters from skullgirls in silly, hilarious situations and the funniest picture is the winner.

how about... what do the cast of skulllgirls do on their days off? when they arent fighting each other? how do they unwind? for some reason as soon as i wrote that i imagined msfortune sat on a couch in front of the TV all tangled up in a big plate of spaghetti.

kind of like this classic image of ryu at the dry cleaners (not actually dry cleaners)

ryu-intart.jpg
[/spoiler

I vote for stage design... or a special move (or blockbuster?) design and/or animation for Robo or Beowulf. Thanks!
I vote specifically against a "design a move for characters that aren't finished yet" contest because if we had a similar move in mind we'd be forced not to use it, etc.

Reactions: Flotilla
Translation: If you don't want Beowulf to have a specific move, DRAW IT!

Translation: If you don't want Beowulf to have a specific move, DRAW IT!
That's not how that works, I only decline to use moves when it makes everyone sad after having shown it on Salty already, to make an example of people. :^P

What about a character interaction contest? Draw an interaction between at least two characters, with at least one of them being a character who isn't in or planned to be in the game. I want to see more lesser-seen characters. I want to see Roxie fixing Peacock's tv. I wanna see Cerebella and Scythana arm wrestle. I wanna see Isaac cheat at a game of Rock Paper Scissors against Parasoul by going to the future to see what she's gonna pick. I want a contest that's gonna let me see all sorts of interesting things that I'd never see otherwise.

Reactions: Nevins
i just though of another one that im surprised hasnt been mentioned yet. perhaps because it is so obvious no one thought to mention it.....

....Alternate costume contest! very similar to the one just held for eliza. Basically you have to design a new costume for a chosen character in a similar vein to alternate costumes for games such as SF4 or MvC3.

all you need to do is to pick a character (you would need to have just one character per competition for the sake of the judges, allowing all characters at once would just be a clusterfuck)

now you pick a single frame of animation from the game to use as a base, preferably one that shows the character in a fully upright stance and not hunched over/back turned/squashed to the floor etc. again this would be chosen by the organiser for the sake of consistency in judging entries.

now you let people go nuts. it would likely be a bit more work than the eliza comp since you may have to redraw parts of the character that you cant see but the potential is there for sure.

Seeing how plenty of story modes end up with characters becoming potential Skullgirls, how about a contest about designing any character as a fully-realized Skullgirl (only females, sorry Beowulf and Big Band).

As for judgement/prizes, I'd like Lab Zero to be involved, but I don't want to add to their workload. And I don't want anyone buying and shipping figures out of their own pocket. Instead, how about a special forum tag. Like the black bands Lab Zero has, or the various bands admins, mods, and news writers have. Something like dekillsage's purple band, but less prestigious, and disappears when the next contest starts.

Considering that Beowulf is coming next, we could have a matchup poster contest!

Animation contest would be cool, but it would reduce the amount of entries by a lot.

Regarding MikeZ's wish, I'll have to remember to delete the Panzerfaust thread if Skullgirls 2 / Skullgirls expansion ever get's announced :/.