• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do I invent combos?

Goldenjack

Pub Lord
Reaction score
Steam
Goodsirjack
Fukua Cerebella
I know a few different chains, but I have trouble understanding how to make my own or knowing what moves will chain into others on the fly. The input timing is also a bit tricky even for moves I thought I was good at using. So how do I know what will combo and make my own combos?

I understand light->medium->heavy is the general hierarchy. Also, my friend told me to look at hitstun on the skullgirls wikia

I know a few different chains, but I have trouble understanding how to make my own or knowing what moves will chain into others on the fly. So how do I know what will combo and make my own combos?
Go to the combo threads, check the exisiting combos to find most used chains and links.
Then :
Training mode --> try everything else

No magical thingy for you, you can't just "know" what works just like that. Test it, try using it, remember it, think about it.

Maybe I didn't really understand your question, but you can always check this : http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?posts/110937/
Combo making isn't really something you should look for when you are a beginner, just look for the existing ones.

Step 1. Get drunk (this step is required for essentially everything in both this game and life itself)
Step 2. Rub cosmoline on your nipples
Step 3. Load up Skullgirls
Step 4. Go into train room
Step 5. Start pressing things and see what combos into itself
Step 6. Begin writing down each step of the combo
Step 7. Test the chunks and see if you can do anything to improve the overall damage
Step 8. Let the alcohol truly kick in
Step 9. Begin ruminating on the horrible things you've seen in Chechnya
Step 10. Realize that no matter how far you get from Russia the memories of your days as a spetsnaz will always haunt you
Step 11. Begin crying remembering the conscript you found with a sniper wound in his stomach crying for his mother
Step 12. Start cursing all Chechens while jazz music still plays in the background

So this is what I do:

1. Look at already established combos people put up on the forums or Youtube videos, noting restrictions such as corner-only or character-specificness.
2. Try out those combos.
3. Take those combos (or parts of them) I hit consistently and work them into my gameplay.
4. Experiment with assist calling/throw attempts/intentionally dropping to find reset points, noting how my opponent reacts to see if they're good or bad.
5. Repeat :)

It's not so much inventing as taking what people are doing and improving upon them.

This is my general understanding of making a combo:
1. Light-Medium-Heavy or whatever you can get away with
2. Launcher
3. Whatever you can hit with in the air
4. Another ground bit
4.5. Another air bit if it doesn't trigger ips
5. If you can't continue ground bit anymore do a special
6. What can you hit with after special
7. Try to combo off of that
8. End with a special or reset or, at the very least, put yourself in an advantageous spot.

its really easy let me explain
1- grab you controller or arcade stick
2- mash it like no tomorrow
3- if you have played MvC3 you are a pro because is the same game but with girls and one dude
4- remember Brass knuckle> everything
5- go to character screen and pick up big band, hes invincible and well you can do whatever you want
6- if for some reason you pick peacock...grab your controller/ arcade stick and mash it, spam like no tomorrow and you might win
7- if your opponent hits you first, leave you pad/arcade stick on the table and walk away, there are no form of getting rid of that combo...anti-combo system...whats that?

this are some friendly tips that you NEED TO FOLLOW in order to play skullgirls~

If you are trying to "invent" combos, you are already going at it from the wrong angle.

you should be trying to optimise combos instead. For damage, a setup you want, positioning, whatever. But inventing isn't the word.

Basically, know what you want to achieve then try things to see what happens.

Sorry for giving a serious answer unlike most of the other posters.

There are a lot of resources on here, generally most of the combos in the guides (ok it's character dependent some haven't been looked after as well as others) are the BnB you are gonna want to know. If you want a different setup from the combo, tweak some of the chains to make it work.

If you can't steal shit, go into the combo with a goal and do homework on hitstun of each move you're using so that you can link chains together. After that it's just some basic math on undizzy, planning for IPS, and trial/error on execution.

If the goal is damage, you want to link the highest damage moves/chains you can into each other.

If the goal is screen carry, you want to link the moves with as much horizontal movement/knockback as possible.

If the goal is to give yourself a reset or multiple resets, sky's the limit. Find wacky shit and implement it.

Last edited:
How To Invent Combos: SMASH YOUR FACE ON YOUR CONTROLLER OR FIGHT STICK UNTIL SOMETHING REALLY COOL HAPPENS. WORKS 100% OF THE TIME, 60% OF THE TIME.

Easier to improve on existing combos than "invent" entirely new ones, since fairly optimized stuff is found pretty quickly.

• If you can afford to, pay attention to damage scaling. Combos do a lot more damage if you don't do a ton of low-damage hits in the beginning.
  • Make sure that the starting move is practical (as in, you will be likely to start the combo with the first move in said combo in a regular game).
  • Pay attention to the damage each individual move does. If you can use an 800 damage move instead of a 750 damage move in the same part of a chain and it still works, it's usually better to use the 800 damage move. Alternatively, if two moves do the same general amount of damage but one does more hits and is early on in the combo, it's usually better to use the move that does less hits to prevent damage scaling from tanking your combo's damage. There are exceptions to both of these, but generally following this rule won't lead you wrong.
  • Try and go as far with IPS/undizzy as you can; leave few/no buttons unused, so long as using them doesn't sacrifice damage.
  • If you're trying for a BnB, make sure your combo works on everyone with no huge issues that can't be fixed with adjustment. Double and Big Band are heavier than the other characters, Big Band is prone to OTG a lot earlier than other characters because of his hitbox, Peacock has a small hitbox that makes some chains difficult on her, etc. Most of these issues can be worked around by adjusting timing or changing out one move for another.

One does not Simply invent Combo's.

(I give the controller to a 5yr old and see what happens)

Just steal shit, homie

This.

The majority of my reset/bait tech is discovered by repeatedly fucking up combos stolen from better players.

Then when you can actually do the combo you selectively reapply your fuck-ups and then people tell you "whoa that's gdlk".

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Thanks for all the advice guys !

Wait

1.JUST USE THE WII REMOTE.

2. SPIN AROUND YOUR LIVING ROOM.

3. PRESS EVERY BUTTON FOR 15 SECONDS.

4. LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN THE RECORDINGS THAT NIGHT.

5. DRINK YOURSELF TO SLEEP AND CRY WHEN YOU FIND OUT THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD MADE THE COMBO AND POSTED IT ON YOUTUBE A WEEK AND A HALF AGO.

Wait

1.JUST USE THE WII REMOTE.

2. SPIN AROUND YOUR LIVING ROOM.

3. PRESS EVERY BUTTON FOR 15 SECONDS.

4. LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN THE RECORDINGS THAT NIGHT.

5. DRINK YOURSELF TO SLEEP AND CRY WHEN YOU FIND OUT THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD MADE THE COMBO AND POSTED IT ON YOUTUBE A WEEK AND A HALF AGO.

The wii remote singes my hands with unholy fury.

I recommend you to not spend time making combos,
Just copy them from older players,
Learn the combos then you will be making stuff up on the fly.

When it comes to learning combos even though looking up for a list can be a good tip.
FOCUS on the moves of the character, know what to press, how far can it go and reach when it comes to your moves and the opponent, and what to connect with.
I say maybe Hitbox on (basic or adv.) and Slow Motion will be a good help.

PS: When it comes to making combos be aware with the thing called "Infinite Prevention System" meaning if you repeated a move before it will trigger it and send you flying away from your opponent. Use your moves wisely!