• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do you win this game?

CrossAnima

Reaction score
Steam
CrossAnima
Skullgirls is my first fighting game and I started playing it about a month ago

I went through all the tutorials, beat the every character's story mode on easy, went all the way up to hard as Squigly on both arcade and story mode, then spent a whole week of vacation learning how to combo as her up to 24 hits.

I recently started going online in quick match and I've played about 30 matches but in each of them I haven't managed to get my opponent anywhere below half health. :/ Usually the matches just consist of me trying to block mix ups since whenever I try to attack I get comboed to death and whenever both I and my opponent attack at the same time my attack never lands and I still get comboed to death

Is there maybe something I just don't know about the game that could help me at least win some of the time?

Skullgirls is my first fighting game and I started playing it about a month ago

I went through all the tutorials, beat the every character's story mode on easy, went all the way up to hard as Squigly on both arcade and story mode, then spent a whole week of vacation learning how to combo as her up to 24 hits.

I recently started going online in quick match and I've played about 30 matches but in each of them I haven't managed to get my opponent anywhere below half health. :/ Usually the matches just consist of me trying to block mix ups since whenever I try to attack I get comboed to death and whenever both I and my opponent attack at the same time my attack never lands and I still get comboed to death

Is there maybe something I just don't know about the game that could help me at least win some of the time?

Choose Filia Up-Do as an assist and call it often. Also, don't play in quick match. Join Beginner lobbies.

are you playing on steam or a console? if you are on steam try going into beginners lobbies (some people are jerks and go into them who arnt beginners but your chances of finding beginners are a lot higher there) or try to find other people on this forum to set up matches with.
fighting games do have a rather steep learning curve and a lot of things that work vs an ai dont really work against another person. for some help i would say learn to use pushblock well and get a good reversal assist on your team (filia updo, big band beat exent, etc) those will help you get out of pressure and give you time to set up your own offense.
remember, there is a lot more to winning than knowing a combo, combos are good and necessary but so is how to move and how to open up your opponent.

are you playing on steam or a console? if you are on steam try going into beginners lobbies (some people are jerks and go into them who arnt beginners but your chances of finding beginners are a lot higher there) or try to find other people on this forum to set up matches with.
fighting games do have a rather steep learning curve and a lot of things that work vs an ai dont really work against another person. for some help i would say learn to use pushblock well and get a good reversal assist on your team (filia updo, big band beat exent, etc) those will help you get out of pressure and give you time to set up your own offense.
remember, there is a lot more to winning than knowing a combo, combos are good and necessary but so is how to move and how to open up your opponent.

I am playing on steam but I use a gamepad. Thanks. That sounds like good advice.

Do you want to win, or do you want to learn how to play? Huge difference right there.

I thought that I already knew how to play by this point, but if there are things I still need to learn I would be more down to learn those things. I just wasn't quite sure what I was doing wrong.

Resets are more important than combos.
Also, check the character specific threads in here. They have lots of information available such as combos, resets, matchups, etc.
Most of the things I've learnt were in this forum.

I am playing on steam but I use a gamepad. Thanks. That sounds like good advice.

I thought that I already knew how to play by this point, but if there are things I still need to learn I would be more down to learn those things. I just wasn't quite sure what I was doing wrong.
Fighting games are a lot more complicated than just learning a few combos and basics and suddenly hopping online. There's a whole level of complexity behind trying to get in on your opponent, open them up, defend against mixups, and a whole bunch of stuff that even this game's tutorial won't be able to teach you. Don't be afraid of it though, that's why we have these forums in the first place. :)

Try asking around in the matchup section for someone else new, I'm sure you'll find a good sparring partner somewhere.

Reactions: Dime
I thought that I already knew how to play by this point

Welcome to fighting games and why they are difficult. You need to know how to play against people to actually know how to play, and playing against people is not easy.

Hold forward

if you have been playing fighters for 1 month, you have a good 30 more in the learning and slowly realising how things actually are phase.

It can be 30 or 3 depending on how dedicated you are at actually making effort to understand fighting games, instead of assuming you know everything, and being willing to learn from your mistakes and be honest with your self. Oh, and having good teachers/learning resources.

Reactions: Dime
I guess I should feel pretty bad then haha, Feri certainly tried early on.

Also another thing about learning how to play fighting games is to not to try and do it alone, try to get involved in some kind of community. This makes the whole process a lot less frustrating and much more enjoyable. Also you'll probably get better quicker if you find some people the play with regularly so thats a bonus.

For me personally this has kind of been the reason I've ended up sticking with the game in the long run, rather than giving up after a few days like I have before

A lot of what you need to learn can only be picked up in real matches. Being aware of mechanics and opponents' various moves is certainly going to help, but you can't practise against mix-ups, resets and other such techniques people will use to trick you into getting hit without playing a large number of people and being able to recognise what they do.

There is a very long learning curve, but I wouldn't actually describe it as steep; you can progress quite steadily without even noticing just by playing matches. If you get to a point that you really want to get into the game you can look into various things like PBGCs, optimised combos, ambiguous resets, uses of assists, how to counter assists, spacing and innumerable other things, but there is no need to take it all in at once.

Reactions: DawnHibiki
Don't be afraid to sit in a lobby and just get whupped on over and over. If you're trying to learn something, it's also really good to just ask the other guy(s) in the lobby to keep doing whatever kills you. I've (sort of) happily sat in a lobby getting destroyed by certain team combinations just so I could learn what to do against it. Even if they don't have time to beat you up, go into the training room and set the dummies to recreate whatever was killing you. The Skullgirls training lab is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good. One under-utilized function of the training room is that you can record multiple 'sets' of moves for a dummy and set the computer to either sequentially or randomly use those sets. This is an amazing way to practice blocking mixups correctly.

Don't do hustling rocks after devil horns and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys. You're all awesome