• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I need to get better

SK2

The Imperious Queen of Executions
Reaction score
Steam
esskaytwo
XBL
SK2 KILLER
Peacock Ms. Fortune Cerebella
I just don't know how. I don't know how to get better. I've been playing unranked matches for a while and I just have no input on what I'm doing wrong. I fail to punish brass knuckle, I fail blocking mixups a lot, and overall, I'm just bad. I have basic combos and basic mixup blocking down, just not doing it advanced. I just need help to get better, not just getting steamrolled 24/7 barely knowing what to do.

This really is making me feel like shit. I feel like I wasted 50 hours trying to get better just to reach the beginning of the road all over again.

Last edited:
Find video of top players using your characters and copy their neutral and how they play matchups.

Learn combos you never drop and resets you never screw up.

I'm noticing something. I've gotten worse at this game in the past few days. Why? How does one just get worse at something in a matter of days?

This isn't an MMORPG, your time invested doesn't automatically make you better, you still have to execute. Even if you have gotten better at the game, and your knowledge of the game has increased, you can still make mistakes and play poorly. Just don't give up, keep at it.

I'm no expert myself, but here's input from a guy who feels like he's slowly improving.

It could just be a phase, honestly. Good fighting games take time to learn and master, and there are going to be many, many moments where you seem like the worst player ever. Even when it seemed as though you were much better just a few days ago. They aren't like other genres where you can get good over the course of a few days, or even weeks. You just have to be realistic about your play and try to improve what you can, when you can. Don't get discouraged and don't let the salt get to you because you're still learning. Try finding a responsive buddy you can play with who's around your level, or a kind person who's way above your level and use them to help yourself. Play a lot of matches with them, or anyone, and try to learn new things improve upon techniques you already have.

I'm no expert myself, but here's input from a guy who feels like he's slowly improving.

It could just be a phase, honestly. Good fighting games take time to learn and master, and there are going to be many, many moments where you seem like the worst player ever. Even when it seemed as though you were much better just a few days ago. They aren't like other genres where you can get good over the course of a few days, or even weeks. You just have to be realistic about your play and try to improve what you can, when you can. Don't get discouraged and don't let the salt get to you because you're still learning. Try finding a responsive buddy you can play with who's around your level, or a kind person who's way above your level and use them to help yourself. Play a lot of matches with them, or anyone, and try to learn new things improve upon techniques you already have.
I would add someone to my friends list to practice with, but I just am afraid I'll find some asshole calling me a "Scrub" and spouting annoying crap like that, or just doesn't like random adds. I can't have an idea, because of the lack of in-game lobby chat either. Also, I'm a bit shy to add random people off of the beginner matchmaking thread.

I would add someone to my friends list to practice with, but I just am afraid I'll find some asshole calling me a "Scrub" and spouting annoying crap like that, or just doesn't like random adds. I can't have an idea, because of the lack of in-game lobby chat either.

just start adding people. If you find someone a couple times in quick matches that's around your skill level, add them and ask them if they wanna run sets with ya someday.

But other than that, i feel like when you are getting your ass handed too you is the best motivation to get better and learn, much better than steamrolling people who dont know how to play and nothing to learn from the match.

But other than that, i feel like when you are getting your ass handed too you is the best motivation to get better and learn, much better than steamrolling people who dont know how to play and nothing to learn from the match.

Getting steamrolled makes it much harder to notice how what you're doing wrong then when you're playing with someone around your skill level. But yes, if I didn't get steamrolled, I wouldn't have made this thread to try to get ideas on how to get better.

I would add someone to my friends list to practice with, but I just am afraid I'll find some asshole calling me a "Scrub" and spouting annoying crap like that, or just doesn't like random adds. I can't have an idea, because of the lack of in-game lobby chat either. Also, I'm a bit shy to add random people off of the beginner matchmaking thread.

I mean, that's just life I guess...Some people you meet are great people, others are not so great. I've met a handful of nice players, some of them I've even added, and a handful of rude players. You just gotta try it and see how it goes. If the person isn't to your liking, delete 'em, ignore 'em and keep on moving. I myself am more than willing to play some matches with you if you truly need someone to play, but I don't know how much it would help due to the fact that I'm not that great of a player myself. This kind of thing is completely up to you.

I mean, that's just life I guess...Some people you meet are great people, others are not so great. I've met a handful of nice players, some of them I've even added, and a handful of rude players. You just gotta try it and see how it goes. If the person isn't to your liking, delete 'em, ignore 'em and keep on moving. I myself am more than willing to play some matches with you if you truly need someone to play, but I don't know how much it would help due to the fact that I'm not that great of a player myself. This kind of thing is completely up to you.
Only if you'd like. I'm just really paranoid. I don't need some sort of god player to practice with, just someone who can comment what I'm doing wrong and give me ways to improve, whether they are good or bad.

I'm not an asshole and I don't spout annoying crap so feel free to add me, the link to my Steam is in my signature :)

Only if you'd like. I'm just really paranoid. I don't need some sort of god player to practice with, just someone who can comment what I'm doing wrong and give me ways to improve, whether they are good or bad.

I'm definitely no god player, even though I wish I were lol. As I said, it's up to you. I'm also not even close to an expert so I may not be able to give you the most in-depth tips, but I'll play you. Just add me on Steam and we can play sometime.

I'm noticing something. I've gotten worse at this game in the past few days. Why? How does one just get worse at something in a matter of days?
Do pauses, laying to much and getting depressed on the game doesn't do any good it seems.

Moreover it will let time for your muscular memory to flourish.

In a nutshell give you time, FG's are hard. I'd felt like you described dozens of times in my player's life, that's just the the trough of the wave.

I made this thread when I was in a bad mood, so I apologize.

I'm not an asshole and I don't spout annoying crap so feel free to add me, the link to my Steam is in my signature :)
I may take you up on that. :PUN:

Reactions: mcpeanuts
There are days that I just can't play well, it happens. Even top players have days that they're far from their optimum (but they still can kick my ass with ease). If you want to succeed in FG it is import to pay attention in every match, unless your oppponent is far worse then you. When I encounter one of these, I focus on practicing hit confirms and trying not to fall into mashed supers/reversals.

I SEEEEEEERRRIOUSLY need this thread. I've gotten to a point, where I think "I'm actually good at this game!" then I just constantly, CONSTANTLY get proven wrong. Losing match, after match, only winning like, 2 matches compared to my opponent who has won 8 by now. People always tell me "Look where you made mistake, and improve!" I DON'T KNOW WHAT MISTAKES I MADE. I'm just playing like I normally play. I don't know how to improve. And then people who I used to be able to easily beat start getting better than ME. I have tried to look at the threads on this forum for techniques to learn, thinking I might be able to improve... But nothing clicks... I just feel I'm hopeless. I'm even thinking about giving up SG. Literally, the only reason I haven't, is my love for the game. But that love doesn't stop me from nearly going insane when I lose 2-8.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index....an-a-good-skullgirls-player.3538/#post-125179\

E: Thread got deleted, here:

Write out what specifically you have problems with and what you tried and why it didn't work, and for example "X works, but I have difficulties getting into a position for X" if applicable, in the Bella and Squigly forums.

This does multiple things:
- Make the character subforums more active
- Shows people that you are dedicated enough to at least post sorted thoughts (making them more interested in helping you)
- Saves people from telling you things you already know (following the example above, "Do X"), shows them where you stand roughly (whether it's better to tell you "Hold back to block" or "PBGC AC Snapback solves all your problems")
- Forces you to think about what you have problems with and what you tried to beat it, possibly giving you the solution in the process without actually needing someone to answer you
- Lets people who are worse than you get better from your experiences (they can read your post and then see "Ah, he tried Y which doesn't work, and X is good? Okay I will try to use that more even if it's hard to utilize")
- Makes the discussion public (eg you ask "How do u stop Squigly from AAing my Bella jumpins with Daisy Pusher", guy answers "You can cancel your airnormal into grab bag on reaction and avoid it" and from now on every Bella player who has the same issue will find the solution via typing "Daisy" into the search box in the Bella forums - rather than every new one being forced to ask the same question over and over again)
- Probably more I'm forgetting off the top of my head

If you can't actually form any proper questions because you have no idea why you're losing, then at least post a video of your gameplay and *attempt* to identify things you did badly while trying to explain some of your decision processes (eg "At 2:05 I did a random throw midscreen and died because I was 100% sure he'd do dashblock+assistcall, but he didn't.. maybe not a good idea to play with hard reads like this?" is an ENTIRELY different thing than "At 2:05 I did a random throw at midscreen distance because I LIKE MASHING")

There are myriads of people who start a game, write a thread titled "Teach me everything", then you spend a week teaching them everything and then they drop the game and you just wasted a week on nothing; that's not a lot of fun to do.

Forums are discussion platforms, you take some, you give some.
Don't treat this as a telephone pole for you to pin a poster on, titled "Lost cat and searching for an SG teacher, call me! Reward: NONE" and expect magic to happen.

Last edited: