• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I realized FGCNN was a satire site, let's talk about that.

SaltedIce

Squig Band Fuk Yeah!!
Reaction score
Steam
Voodin
XBL
JammedIPawned U
Big Band Squigly Fukua
I was reading a march post on the website FGCNN in which Sanford Kelly loses a match to Rico, and smashes his stick yadda-yadda he creates a program called Sticks-Without-Borders to give all low income Fighting game fans arcade sticks for cheap, me being a broke,15 year old and a fighting game fan, I was gullible, no links provided in the article I searched it up, no avail I went back to the article, and the comments said things like "this didn't make me laugh" and "wasn't as funny as the others" and I thought It was supposed to be....was it? Utter realization, embarrassment, dissapointment, shamefulness all at once.

So, I ask you, how do I identify fact from fiction and satire from seriousness on the internet; also, laugh at me if you want

you can usually tell if it feels over exaggerated or if there are no links to any evidence supporting the claim

I would say that you can tell by how realistic something feels, but that's not really a realistic way to tell. Unfortunately, satire has become something of a butchered art between John Swift's days and today. The fact that the line between parody and satire is really only theoretical these days doesn't help either...

The unfortunate fact that there isn't much of a blatant differential with parody and reality anymore ruins a lot, even the latest onion articles are seeming a little less comedic.

Actually, I think not realizing something is satire, or is at least poking fun at itself, accounts for 90% of hate on the internet. I mean, look at skullgirls. Remember that rock-paper-shotgun review?
There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl. An opportunity for fighting poses that are good for something other than predominantly showing bouncing breasts. An opportunity for a collection of stories that end with powerful women actually in control of their destiny, rather than a slave to a nameless god or mafia boss. An opportunity not to have fucking measurement statistics on the official character pages.
And those measurement statistics were created for the purpose of mocking older fighting games.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I seem to recall Rock Paper Shotgun also said that Rogue Legacy had "stiff controls". Taking into account the above post as well, I guess I have one more site to add to my never trust anything they say website list.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I seem to recall Rock Paper Shotgun also said that Rogue Legacy had "stiff controls". Taking into account the above post as well, I guess I have one more site to add to my never trust anything they say website list.
Yea, guess some of it has to do with reputation/factuality aswell, but for the most part, fuck reviews I dont care about their opinion, i like concrete knowledge