• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Just asking for some help

josey

Reaction score
Steam
OTG | josey's something idk
Peacock
heyo, i've been putting a lot of time into sg but im in a spot where i dont know how to improve on the things i need to improve. since this is my first fg, i struggle to understand the concept of fighting games and the mentality you're supposed to have while playing. So I am making this thread so that i can openly ask for any tech, tips, videos on how to improve at fg's in general, and any players i should watch would be deeply appreciated!

Leaving Info so you have an idea on what to suggest or show me:

I play Peacock (L George), Umbrella (6hp), Big band (H Brass)

Videos I already watched:
Most of Oddberry's tech vids
Stormdrain's Umby Reset Vid
Nope's sqrt setup primer Vid
dekillsage's Character overviews/assist vids
gelato's advanced pushblock tutorial guide
Akki's defensive guide

Players I've been watching/studying:
Nope.avi
Vending
Triviality
Oddberry
Merah
Valencia
Mag1c1136
Swergin
ruby_chan

Try and find a training partner a little bit beyond your level and ask them for more specific advice. In the official Discord, there's also a "match critique" channel you can post in to see if others can help you improve your play.

Generally you just need someone to point out either things you should stop doing, or start doing, and that's a bit easier to work with when you have some example play to share!

If you want to get good really fast, find a way to play really good players.

That's my 2c at least!

Hello, josey.

Thank you for reaching out, as Skullgirls can be quite an overwhelming game for those starting from other fighting games, let alone new to the genre.

As Liam has stated, having a peer or people to play with who are more experienced and knowledgeable is a good way to improve. The Skullgirls wiki on Mizuumi has links to Discord communities and regional ones as-well (https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Skullgirls/Community), as-well as being a great source for learning the game. There's also a video/vod archive where you might be able to find more footage of players to watch that play the characters you're interested in (https://slowtrainroll.in/).

My advice when learning this game, especially when you're learning a trio starting out, is to keep it simple. You don't need to force yourself to do the hardest combos or resets, just the ones you can actually perform, then slowly work your way up as you build confidence in your execution. In addition, don't be afraid to join online tournaments or ask for games. The more you play the more you'll learn and improve.

Cheers.

Reactions: Gram Bimbler
Try and find a training partner a little bit beyond your level and ask them for more specific advice. In the official Discord, there's also a "match critique" channel you can post in to see if others can help you improve your play.

Generally you just need someone to point out either things you should stop doing, or start doing, and that's a bit easier to work with when you have some example play to share!

If you want to get good really fast, find a way to play really good players.

That's my 2c at least!
thank you liam!

Hello, josey.

Thank you for reaching out, as Skullgirls can be quite an overwhelming game for those starting from other fighting games, let alone new to the genre.

As Liam has stated, having a peer or people to play with who are more experienced and knowledgeable is a good way to improve. The Skullgirls wiki on Mizuumi has links to Discord communities and regional ones as-well (https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Skullgirls/Community), as-well as being a great source for learning the game. There's also a video/vod archive where you might be able to find more footage of players to watch that play the characters you're interested in (https://slowtrainroll.in/).

My advice when learning this game, especially when you're learning a trio starting out, is to keep it simple. You don't need to force yourself to do the hardest combos or resets, just the ones you can actually perform, then slowly work your way up as you build confidence in your execution. In addition, don't be afraid to join online tournaments or ask for games. The more you play the more you'll learn and improve.

Cheers.
i understand the mechanics of the game fully, and im pretty much out of the beginner level for a while now. i know about the wiki and slowtrainroll.in and the things that can help out with combos/mixes/etc. i've entered plenty of tournaments in the past and almost made top 8 at mix masters! the issue im having is that im stuck at the intermediate level and cant really figure out how to improve and play the game how the top players would.