• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Know Your Skullgirls Top Players (a wide-eyed newbie resource)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winnie is strong but inactive, sadly.
I concur with the sadly part (I'd love to see him at Combo Breaker), but I think he's safely list-able as inactive, whereas @keninblack is actively aiming to get some of that CB2015 bread.

And I beat Duck in a local Chicago tournament, once. Am I a top player? I sometimes beat NCV, too. Should I be on this list?

How about this, twerk: If some other top players advocate for your inclusion like McPeaunts did for Uzu or Luna, I'll add you. I'm fine with that.
Then dont add me. Simple for you right?

Reactions: Kai
also if this is a list to show newcomers characters we can potentially help them with, then you're probably better of taking double off my part, since i dropped her a little while ago

I was the one who suggested adding double for your section there, not because I thought the list was necessarily "Hey these guys are the guys to look at for these characters", just a matter of factly "These guys were known for playing this team of characters". And regardless if it was accurate or not, there were some people who'd pin you as "That Point Double guy" back when you did that and it was noteworthy/uncommon, though ideally yeah it should've included a mention that you don't play her anymore.

Reactions: Kai and mcpeanuts
Honestly i think mcpeanuts is right. I felt downright insulted by nightphyre's reply not by the rejection but adding unnecessary statements. its w.e i guess. i'll hold that L and phyre can like this post too.
If you feel insulted for my rationale for not including you, then you clearly don't understand what this is. If you're mad, that's on you. You're a naturally salty person, so I'm gonna tell you how to moderate your sodium.

Thread title is a bit misleading. Reminds me of another thread made in vain years ago, maybe this one will be more sucessful.

Thread title is a bit misleading. Reminds me of another thread made in vain years ago, maybe this one will be more sucessful.
Maybe so. I think it'll be more accurate once I complete the tallies and make the additional charts/etc. As for successful, it's already pretty much what I want it to be, save for a few oversights/missing bits.

I really like this idea, with me being a new player I can see who is/was good! If there are perhaps vods of said majors maybe you could include them? I dunno.

This seems like it's gonna make people upset. Someone's gonna just barely miss the cutoff between noteworthy and not noteworthy and that guy is gonna be like "what the HECK this list is DUMB".

Let's be real, those are the best types of threads.

rip smashboards top 5 thread ;__;7

Reactions: SmashBlade and Fosh
If you feel insulted for my rationale for not including you, then you clearly don't understand what this is. If you're mad, that's on you. You're a naturally salty person, so I'm gonna tell you how to moderate your sodium.
You....competely...misunderstood?

I've been active from early 2012. Also woofly is the best player in Europe but he hasn't been to any US tournaments, so I don't know how that fits into something like this.

I've been active from early 2012. Also woofly is the best player in Europe but he hasn't been to any US tournaments, so I don't know how that fits into something like this.
Well, I've been taking top player word as granted when they say somebody is equal-to/better than them, so if you say Woofly's better than you, I'll list him. Please provide any extra info you can, though, whether it be EU tourneys or online stuff.

Well, I've been taking top player word as granted when they say somebody is equal-to/better than them, so if you say Woofly's better than you, I'll list him. Please provide any extra info you can, though, whether it be EU tourneys or online stuff.
He's definitely better than me. Unfortunately the only EU tournaments are random London locals, but he wins the ones he attends.

As for the other details: he's from the UK, active from early 2012. His most well-known team is probably Ms Fortune/Squigly/Parasoul (especially his anchor Parasoul) but he's trying out a bunch of teams at the moment. They're all trios with anchor Parasoul, and his other first two characters are various combinations of Ms Fortune, Eliza, Filia, Valentine, Squigly.

edit: Here's a recent online set he played against Zeknife, if you need match footage of him or anything http://www.hitbox.tv/video/453774

Reactions: Kai
lmaooo
I'm insulted yo!
Hey man if you feel insulted then that's on you.
How did you misunderstand my f e e l i n g s ? ? ? ?? ??

Edit: I vouch for woofly. He is as good as the 4 kings
(that's what I'm gonna call the top 4 sg players)

Last edited:
Hearing Kenin is active and Winnie is inactive feels so wrong. They are inseperable in my mind.

I advocate for Twerk at least for the online warriors section...

Also yo wat not listing me? :^P
Twerk, you got the official endorsement, dude :P

also:
Mike Z
  • KNOWN FOR: Sandbagging
Hearing Kenin is active and Winnie is inactive feels so wrong. They are inseperable in my mind.
As much as it hurts, one's coming to Combo Breaker, and the other isn't :(

Last edited:
Reactions: fenster
i think sev is active actually, just not going to tournaments as of recent. i think @Domo or @Yaya would know more than me though

sev still plays, yes.

i think sev is active actually, just not going to tournaments as of recent. i think @Domo or @Yaya would know more than me though
sev still plays, yes.
@severine is obviously pretty good at this game, but most of the examples of her playing are out-of-date, and there's no indication she'll be attending any tournaments anytime soon. If a former tourney player isn't going to tourneys or even playing in public events anymore, isn't that the definition of inactive? Please, say otherwise if this isn't the right way to think about it.

@severine is obviously pretty good at this game, but most of the examples of him playing are out-of-date, and there's no indication he'll be attending any tournaments anytime soon. If a former tourney player isn't going to tourneys or even playing in public events anymore, isn't that the definition of inactive? Please, say otherwise if this isn't the right way to think about it.
i was under the assumption that inactive meant not playing the game anymore. i didn't realize it meant no recent footage of them. by your definition then you're right and sev is an inactive player

If there's going to be an online warriors section, would it be possible for there to be an area for Steam permalinks? People change their names pretty often and it's pretty confusing when you can't find those saucy players.

i was under the assumption that inactive meant not playing the game anymore. i didn't realize it meant no recent footage of them. by your definition then you're right and sev is an inactive player
Well, this is for one main reason: without footage, there's no way to actually known if somebody's still seriously playing the game. Uzu could be out in the Mexican sticks playing offline everyday, for all we know. We need footage to actually show a new player why they're good. Severine clearly played the game at a competitive level and went to tournaments, but hasn't been recorded doing something somebody can actually see in some time. Most of her really impressive showings are from older versions of the game that wouldn't really give a new player looking to learn much to work with. They'd just be wondering how the hell this person is doing 999-hit combos.
If there's going to be an online warriors section, would it be possible for there to be an area for Steam permalinks? People change their names pretty often and it's pretty confusing when you can't find those saucy players.
Maybe. When the list is more complete I'll come back around for extra stuff like that. I'm already adding some VODs when I didn't anticipate doing that, so maybe I'll add this, too.

I thought Sev was coming to NWM? Was kinda looking forward to playing SG and Uniel with her there.

lmaooo
I'm insulted yo!
Hey man if you feel insulted then that's on you.
How did you misunderstand my f e e l i n g s ? ? ? ?? ??

Edit: I vouch for woofly. He is as good as the 4 kings
(that's what I'm gonna call the top 4 sg players)

What was your impression of gfarmer when you played him? And have you ever played against magicman?

I second uzu.
He doesn't really play much anymore but he's still the best.

Sev is not going to attend NWM this year, sadly.

Edit: if you're listing what characters players are known for, I played Fukua/Double at Evo (and Painwheel/Double at nwm a loooong ass time ago lmao)

:(
What was your impression of gfarmer when you played him? And have you ever played against magicman?

He was alright/10. We can't play each other at our best so I can't comment past that. Nope never played magicman.

Reactions: Dime
Can we ditch this thread and just make a "Notable" players thread instead. Power ranking threads do nothing but harm to communities, creating a sort of hierarchy that makes certain players seem a lot less accessible to people new to the forums or SG in general. With notable players being listed, its just reaching a status saying, "hey, this guy is pretty mad decent at the game" as opposed to the "big champs" of the community. It serves to be more encouraging overall I think.

edit: you would still list tournament results, region, and all that other good stuff for each player. This way you still get relevant info about each player as well. Allow each person to read into how good someone is based on the information given as opposed to declaring someone the best due to a vote from a semi closed community based on purely Tournament or recorded results.

Last edited:
Can we ditch this thread and just make a "Notable" players thread instead. Power ranking threads do nothing but harm to communities, creating a sort of hierarchy that makes certain players seem a lot less accessible to people new to the forums or SG in general. With notable players being listed, its just reaching a status saying, "hey, this guy is pretty mad decent at the game" as opposed to the "big champs" of the community. It serves to be more encouraging overall I think.
Go for it. I made this thread with a specific intent, and it sure as hell wasn't meant to be some sort of, "power ranking." I encourage you to compile an exhaustive list of noteworthy players if you think it's a good idea.

This thread is pretty much complete (for what I intended to gather), so I may close the thread when I feel it's reasonably indicative of top talent.

Go for it. I made this thread with a specific intent, and it sure as hell wasn't meant to be some sort of, "power ranking." I encourage you to compile an exhaustive list of noteworthy players if you think it's a good idea.

This thread is pretty much complete (for what I intended to gather), so I may close the thread when I feel it's reasonably indicative of top talent.
Sounds good. Let's all of us bail on this thread and head over to Warped's when it's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.