• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Let's Buy Stuff from Capcom!

WrestlerGuile

Reaction score
Steam
EVoDRAgQUEEn (If a Skullgirls Sequel comes out)
PSN
FASTERLANED
Painwheel Unknown Unknown
Well, according to the interwebz, Capcom is being sold. What would you buy from Capcom? What company do you think should get which IP?

I would want the... I don't know what I want.

I think Labzero or Iron Galaxy should get Darkstalkers because Darkstalkers hasn't gotten much respect anymore.

Inb4 Mega Man to Nintendo.

I would put Monster Hunter with Konami, they have a good thing going with monster designs.

I'd buy monster hunter from them and remove the loading screens between regions on the map. I don't think there is any reason to do that with the current generation of hardware.

I’d probably go for Battle Circuit or Armored Warriors/Cyberbots.

Doesn’t seem like anybody else was all that interested in doing something with them and I would at least have some idea of what to do with them or who to license them to.

Oh, well if we could buy stuff, I'd get all of it, that way vs. Capcom games would have a better chance of not having lackluster rosters. :PUN:

But beyond that, i'd pick up Viewtiful Joe and then tell Platinum to go nuts.

I'm dreading the possibility of Microsoft taking over, the fear of xbone exclusives is very real.

Buy: Darkstalkers, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, Onimusha, Resident Evil, Sengoku Basara and Street Fighter

Entrust:
Darkstalkers to Arc System Works (GGXrd style) OR Arc System Works and Vanillaware (top quality 2D animation)
Devil May Cry, Onimusha and Sengoku Basara to Platinum Games
Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil to From Software
Street Fighter to NamcoBandai

give everything Clover to Platinum

i've said this before
we need that red hot trilogy
we need those wolf adventures on the moon
and we need dante vs. netta. vs. gene

This man has the right idea

I'm no hero
Hideki Kamiya is the one that the world needs

...they are not being sold, they are now available to be purchased.
The distinction is an important one.
I'm so glad it was according to the interwebz and not me:0) I wonder if Disney should undertake one of their games. They own pretty much everything we can think of anyways.

...they are not being sold, they are now available to be purchased.
The distinction is an important one.
Instead of reading the official statement, people get their information from YT pundits. :3

Also important to note - companies whose home base isn't in Japan cannot buy Japanese companies. It's in the law.

mean that Microsoft is out
the most they could do is acquire IPs, i believe

the most they could do is acquire IPs, i believe
Well as long as somebody else is just making all the new entries in a given franchise, that's no big deal. :p

Instead of reading the official statement, people get their information from YT pundits. :3

Also important to note - companies whose home base isn't in Japan cannot buy Japanese companies. It's in the law.

Any similar special protections when it comes to selling the rights to characters, trademarks, patents and so on to foreign companies? Is there any place you would recommend going to learn more about how much pressure stock holders there can place on staff to make specific decisions?

Any similar special protections when it comes to selling the rights to characters, trademarks, patents and so on to foreign companies? Is there any place you would recommend going to learn more about how much pressure stock holders there can place on staff to make specific decisions?
I can't claim to have insightful knowledge of these procedures; just did some googling on the matter of takeover laws in Japan and, admittedly, parroted what many others have been saying in comments sections of articles on the subject. And, to be exhaustive on the matter, others have brought this up - http://www.iflr.com/Article/2026998/How-to-buy-a-Japanese-company.html
Regarding specific IPs and whatnot, that would require the company to be under liquidation/auctioning assets so as things stand, to give a silly example, Namco can't just waltz in, buy the Street Fighter IP and be on their merry way. For that kinda power, they'd have to be major shareholders; not necessarily the "own 51% of the company" types but likely own a percentage larger than what the other shareholders have and even still, I think there's quorum rules or something like that, in order for certain deliberations to pass (or maybe I'm mixing this up with politics). =A=

As for shareholder rights, what I can say is bring up the case of Capcom's five Gamecube exclusive titles (including Resident Evil 4); those titles all ended up being ported to other systems because of pressure from the shareholders who were discontent with the poor sales (attributed to the GC exclusivity). IIRC, that was what visibly started Shinji Mikami's discontent with Capcom. That said, worth what it's worth, I'd wager they'd only interfere in matters of budgeting and profits.

Reactions: OldOnyxBones
well mikami did cut off his head after that
hard to be content when you're just head/a headless body

It looks like Valve's Steam Summer Sale rubbed off on Capcom.^^

Even Capcom itself is on sale, but I'd wait until the last day of the sale just in case it gets featured in a Daily Deal or Flash Sale.^^;

I'm so glad it was according to the interwebz and not me:0) I wonder if Disney should undertake one of their games. They own pretty much everything we can think of anyways.
Stop giving the mouse power! He has already created the ultimate Spirit Bomb from all the energy he received. No need to make that bomb bigger. Think about the Capcomonites!

I don't know though. I mean, there is the obvious answer of Megaman going to Nintendo. Oh, here is one. I'm not sure of this myself, but what company should Resident Evil go to?

Deep Silver seems to be the current big zombie game developer (or at least publisher), so I wouldn't be surprised if they went after RE.

Like I said before, I still wanna see Juri skullgirl...