• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Lobby Bugs

Camail

Reaction score
If you ever have troubles with the lobby, post them here! (if there is another thread like this I couldn't find it...)

Lobbies are probably the buggiest of all the features, I for one have only ever had problems in large lobbies. I was in a lobby with 7 other people and after games/immediately before games the client would completely crash.It was happening to everyone who tried to join the lobby.

Also, there were still times when people would all ready up but no countdown would start.

For me the game never crashes or anything. The only serious bug I can see is the one where everyone is readied up but no countdown starts. Then everyone just starts spamming ready until some people leave and finally the countdown starts somewhat randomly. Sometimes if the host re-readies or leaves the lobby it seems to fix it too.

starting around yesterday afternoon, my game started crashing incredibly frequently when I try to play in 8 man lobbies, regardless of how many players are actually in the lobby. It crashes when trying to set up a match against someone with high ping, it crashes when I try to join a lobby, when I try to quit the lobby, and sometimes it just crashes while waiting for some people to finish their match.

edit: scratch that, these crashes are happening in all lobbies, doesn't matter what size

Last edited:
My FPS isn't stable when playing lobbies in the current retail version (2nd of September update). In Offline modes and Quick Matches my FPS is stable 55-60, but in lobbies I get random drops to 30-40fps even with people who have ping lower than 100.

IsaVulpes and I played a few lobby matches in the Beta version (4th of September update) and it was more stable.

All online play have been iffy for me as of late.

In lobbies as soon as I'm up and the countdown begins, the ping shown is 999 and after the countdown ends the screen goes black and stays that way until I press a button and is promptly ejected back into the menu. This happens >every time<.

Trying to get a match through quick match is equally frustrating. The majority of times I get "Error while trying to get opponent connection information". If by some miracle I do get a connection to the other player, it's a toss up between them agreeing to the match and them DC-ing for a ping of 150-250 (which shouldn't be a problem with GGPO. I played matches with upwards ir 300-400 ping during the closed beta and had no issues then, not counting whenever the opponent was a windower).

I'm quite certain the issue is not on my end. No other online game has any issues and troubleshooting my connection turns up nothing that is wrong.

Does anyone know if there is a log file we could create and send to mike for stuff like this. I am gonna be doing another 8 person lobby this weekend and I would like to know so I can try and repeat the bug, and possibly get other members of the lobby to do this as well.

All online play have been iffy for me as of late.

In lobbies as soon as I'm up and the countdown begins, the ping shown is 999 and after the countdown ends the screen goes black and stays that way until I press a button and is promptly ejected back into the menu. This happens >every time<.

Trying to get a match through quick match is equally frustrating. The majority of times I get "Error while trying to get opponent connection information". If by some miracle I do get a connection to the other player, it's a toss up between them agreeing to the match and them DC-ing for a ping of 150-250 (which shouldn't be a problem with GGPO. I played matches with upwards ir 300-400 ping during the closed beta and had no issues then, not counting whenever the opponent was a windower).

I'm quite certain the issue is not on my end. No other online game has any issues and troubleshooting my connection turns up nothing that is wrong.

I had this same exact problem. To solve it I port forwarded GGPO's ports and it fixed this issue. I responded to another post about this actually:
Port forward GGPO's ports which are as follows:
Incoming/Outgoing: 6000-6009 UDP
Outgoing: 7000 TCP

For more information go here: http://ggpo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1001

This solved the 999 ping (I think it shows up as ? ping now) problem that I had with some players where I couldn't even load a battle with them.

As for ping, remember even low or high ping doesn't determine whether or not you'll get a smooth connection. Connection quality and stability also factor in, so sometimes you might have smooth connection with a high ping player or crappy connection with a low ping player.

Does anyone know if there is a log file we could create and send to mike for stuff like this. I am gonna be doing another 8 person lobby this weekend and I would like to know so I can try and repeat the bug, and possibly get other members of the lobby to do this as well.

I think there is actually. It was mentioned in one of the patch notes I think... I'll see if I can find it later. As for 8 person lobbies, I'm pretty sure they're bugged. From my experience the countdown starts and once it reaches 0 no matches start.

This is random, but I was playing someone and we did a double KO (I still had someone else in the back so I won) then I got this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177776573

Then it stayed there forever. :(

Also hi, this has been the longest I've ever gone without playing SG. TWO WEEKS!

Wow that sounds like a really serious bug. Definitely report that one in. Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Wow that sounds like a really serious bug. Definitely report that one in. Have you tried reinstalling the game?
Oh, not FOREVER, forever. Just made me close the game and restart it :p

Oh, not FOREVER, forever. Just made me close the game and restart it :p

Ooooh I thought the bug was causing you to not be able to play for 2 weeks. I was gonna say that really sucks for you!! :eek:

I had this same exact problem. To solve it I port forwarded GGPO's ports and it fixed this issue. I responded to another post about this actually:
It needs 10 ports?! I can't even add that many new entities in my router (there're a bunch of pre-existing configs that I dare not touch). I forwarded just 6000 and 7000 and tried some quick matches. Seems to be working. But a bit early to say conclusively.

But still... 10 ports?!

Thing is, this wasn't an issue before, so I dunno why it is now. This needs to be resolved in some way. Not all players care enough to actually go into depth and tinker with their routers in order to play a game.

As for ping, remember even low or high ping doesn't determine whether or not you'll get a smooth connection. Connection quality and stability also factor in, so sometimes you might have smooth connection with a high ping player or crappy connection with a low ping player.
Kinda making my point for me there. Ping is as near unimportant in Skullgirls as it's ever gonna be. Which made it extra frustrating to have people DC cause of a ping that in actuality would most likely have been fine, when you already had issues connecting to games in the first place cause of, apparently, port issues.

Last edited:
It needs 10 ports?! I can't even add that many new entities in my router (there're a bunch of pre-existing configs that I dare not touch). I forwarded just 6000 and 7000 and tried some quick matches. Seems to be working. But a bit early to say conclusively.

But still... 10 ports?!

Thing is, this wasn't an issue before, so I dunno why it is now. This needs to be resolved in some way. Not all players care enough to actually go into depth and tinker with their routers in order to play a game.

For me the issue didn't start until one of the later patches during beta. It might have been even earlier than that, but I didn't notice it since it only affects connections with certain players. Then one day I tried lobbying with a friend for the first time but had the 999 ping problem and couldn't play with him which didn't make sense since we live in the same state. So I portforwarded and it dropped to 30 ping.

Also routers allow portforwarding in ranges. Use one entity for ranges 6000-6009 UDP and the second entity for range 7000-7000 (which is equivalent to one port) TCP. That way you only end up using two entities.

Kinda making my point for me there. Ping is as near unimportant in Skullgirls as it's ever gonna be. Which made it extra frustrating to have people DC cause of a ping that in actuality would mosty likely have been fine, when you already had issues connecting to games in the first place cause of, apparently, port issues.
Yeah that was kinda the point I was supporting you on how stupid it is to just disconnect purely off ping. :P Honestly I find that the bars that show up in the middle of the screen when the round starts is an accurate indicator. That or if the game is taking too long to load even before the character select screen then it's not worth it.

There's nothing obviously telling me I can input a range in my router settings, so I'll just put 6000-6009 in the router number box and hope that works.

Yeah that was kinda the point I was supporting you on how stupid it is to just disconnect purely off ping. :p Honestly I find that the bars that show up in the middle of the screen when the round starts is an accurate indicator. That or if the game is taking too long to load even before the character select screen then it's not worth it.
Ah, I see. Well, we are in agreement then. :)

I've never had the bars show anything but green. But maybe that's a symptom of the port forwarding issue.

Last edited:
The countdown gets hung up with me too. Idk what it could be a quick fix for it. Maybe the host or the person with the highest ping leave and rejoin.
Match cycling needs improvement. When I set myself to ready and go up against player A for the 4th time when i still haven't had a match with player B or C, theres a problem
When spectating, player one fake dies and i get kicked out into the lobby and never see the match :(
Also, may we please have a lobby chat? I'd love to talk to everyone while spectating or at least see when someone calls me a scrub.
oh and the pings aren't the most accurate. Theres time when I have a better connection with a 170 ping East European than a 55 ping dude from the west coast :/

I just straight up cant find lobbies at all, in either version of the game, no matter what I set the search settings to.

This happened after I got the "you're going to be spectating" pop up message and the countdown stopped for some reason. The popup stayed up until I pressed B and then I had no menu options. I restarted the client and it was back to normal.

Attachments

• 2013-10-25_00001.jpg
    2013-10-25_00001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 712
The lobby search glitched a bit, and then refused to join any lobbies. I quit to the main menu and then this happened:
31D40A3A8F530B5237FB799EBB92F31A89AB6516

So I tried streaming grand finals of our weekly online tourney. There were quite a few odd issues that popped up.

0:18 "lobby lockout" - 2 people ready up but countdown doesn't start until someone rejoins or we change lobbies

0:50 Especially long searching time? this might be bandwidth related due to streaming but it has also happened to me while not streaming recently

0:58 Failed to join lobby shenanigans twice then a weird greyed out menu that still lets you highlight options

1:20 Slow join time (probably bandwidth issue), I am guessing clarencemage took an invite and that's why he was already in the lobby despite showing up in the lobby search

4:34 Weird position switching in lobby as well as framerate issues followed by lobby lockout

5:55 lobby lockout even after clarencemage restarted his client (note my ridiculous ping with Ledd who is usually around 70-90 ping)

6:34 spectator mode fails </3

9:53 I restart my client

10:50 spectator mode fails again </3 x2

I just hit a new bug with lobbies. I searched for lobbies, found one, then the lobby disappeared. When I tried to back out, it left the lobby menu open while going back to the main menu.

EDIT: since I didn't think to before, here's a SS of what it looks like http://imgur.com/pb0HHJt

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been seeing that stuck Lobby menu every so often. I'd love to figure out a good repro. I'll see what I can do.

Newest problem I had is the number of matches one had not being shown in the match screen.
A "1 win" appears briefly in the "match over screen" but if we go back to the lobby or hit "Play again", it all goes to waste and in the next match it shows "1 win" again, instead of 2.
There is no way to hold a First to # without the score being shown.

Another bug is the constant disconnecting if someone joins the lobby when people are already on the select screen (which I guess to be the cause, certainly not sure).
It also seems to happen when the countdown is already going down and you join the lobby to spectate.
Almost 90% of times, both players pick their chars, the match looks like it'll start and after "SHOW TIME" all we get is a "That's a Wrap".

I feel like these days, lobbies are more buggy and I don't know why. These bugs simply don't let me or my friends play and everyone leaves :(
- Matches that end immediately as a draw.
- Black screens before character select followed by being kicked.
- Lobbies don't random people so the same player has to spectate 3 times in a row.

Newest problem I had is the number of matches one had not being shown in the match screen.
A "1 win" appears briefly in the "match over screen" but if we go back to the lobby or hit "Play again", it all goes to waste and in the next match it shows "1 win" again, instead of 2.
There is no way to hold a First to # without the score being shown.

Do you mean this number?
3B80oBm.jpg

We've been running into an issue where a spectator closes the client and it immediately ends the match as though the players d/ced.

We've been running into an issue where a spectator closes the client and it immediately ends the match as though the players d/ced.
How were you able to find out the spectator disconnected? Was it due to the Internet connection crapping out, manual disconnect or accepting an invite?

How were you able to find out the spectator disconnected? Was it due to the Internet connection crapping out, manual disconnect or accepting an invite?
This has happened a few times,

Situations I've experienced it:
I enter the lobby, the 2 people playing say the game just ended on them.
Start a game, a little while in the game ends, the 3rd person in the lobby was gone.
I had to alt+f4 out of the game and the other players said the game ended.

Entering the lobby menu crashes the game. I dunno why it's only happened to me two times though so finding a cause would be very difficult.