• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Looking for help assembling combos!

PlushPussyMayhem

Reaction score
Regarding 25 hit+ combos, are you guys using a kind of formula to put together combos? Currently my combos start with a few hits into a launcher, then some air hits, then I land and everything falls apart.

Any advice on building universal combos (if any) would be awesome. Thanks!

If you're looking to create your own combos, I'd get intimate with how IPS works.

As for general advice, I like to break my combos down into parts. For example, a PW combo would be something like:

Ground combo: c.lk > c.mk > s.hp > lk.buer

Air combo: launcher > j.mp > j.hp (3 hits) > j.hk

From there we just need a way to go from one to the other, something like: ground combo > fly > j.lp > j.lk > s.hk(launcher) > air combo

The important thing is that I can practice both in isolation and add them where I need them, move them, tweak them, etc.

That said, I'd really recommend just going to your characters respective subforum and steal a beginner combo. That will give you an idea of what your character is going to look like (for example, PW relies on flight cancels and Squig relies on rejumps).

I hope this helps some or at least open up dialogue enough that you can ask more specific question such that I can help a little better.

What character are you looking at?

Cool thanks. I forgot to mention that I prefer cerebella, valentine, and big band.

I watch a lot of combo videos but have a hell of a time understanding much of the timing.

I do understand breaking a combo into managble chunks then experimenting with stitching them together. I suppose I need a primer first so I understand what's possible.

Part one : PREPARATION
To be able to create your own combos, you first need to know exactly the effects of every move of your character, which will tell you what purpose they (could) have in a combo.
To do so, looking for a few existing combos is a good start, try finding why you have to do that move at that precise moment and not another.

So you mainly need to know :

- what you can link after it (hitstun and on-hit frame advantage)
example : for bella, you can do pummel horse only after s.hp, other normals don't have enough hitstun.

- does it affect momentum (does it lift you upward, does it propulse your opponent to the ground) ?
examples : bella's j.mp pushes your opponent toward the ground, but forces you to use otg if it wasn't done as the first move of your air chain ; her j.hp will ignore your current momentum to force you into the j.hp animation's momentum.
With that knowledge, you can try finding chains with different purposes and effects : combo starters, restands, otg usage, stun/sound stun/crumple usage, possible follow-ups for the chains you found...
Find as many of them, you can't create a combo without this work! Go to training mode regularly to look for new possibilities, lurk on the forums, check the combos of those you fight.
You don't need to know every chain possible, you'll think about new ones during part two anyway.

You'll end up with a list of chains that are related in different ways considering how each one interacts with others, creating a nebula of chains and interactions.

Part two : COMBO MAKER!
Now you really need to know how IPS and undizzy works, these are big factors in advanced combos.

So when you are well prepared, you can go for my personal procedure :
(Note : everything in this part can be done with just a piece of paper and a pencil if you are well prepared)

- Choose a starting chain : you may end up finding an opening in various ways, sometimes unusual ones, and they can drastically change how the combo's flow.
You got a grab? You hit them with a random pummel horse? you got a counter hit? You may want to know what to do in these different situations!

- For the same reasons, choose a starting position : close to corner? midscreen? You can also try finding a combo with undizzy bar being partially filled (to combo after a reset).

- Now, you want to know what is the purpose of your combo. Obviously, you want it to deal a lot of damage, but you still have multiple choices :
1) max damage : you want to kill that fool who thought he could challenge you. You need to put in the multi-hit moves as late as possible, use the most hard-hitting ones first, yaddi yadda obvious factors, but knowing which combo does more damage can sometimes only be done by trying out every possibility in train mode and check directly the damge.
2) reset possibilities : some chains may be not really interesting for a damaging combo, but leads to powerful mix-ups. If you can combo these chains into each other, you can create a combo that will force your opponent staying focused on what you do to try avoiding the incoming reset. Extra mental pressure, and duplicated chances to reset the fool you're beating up!
3) corner carry : corner can lead to more interesting mix-ups, more damaging combos, and more pressure. If you want to be sure the combo will carry the opponent to the corner as quickly as possible, you may look for chains that make you go forward as much as possible and put as many of them in the combo.
4) side switch : many characters have tools to switch sides with their opponent during a combo, and you may want to do that, to get them into the corner, usually.

-You got your goal clearly defined ? Then you can finally use your nebula of chains, looking for what you want ordering them, while keeping an eye on the undizzy and IPS.

If you feel like a chain you don't have in your nebula would be useful to your WIP combo, don't hesitate any longer and check on the training mode if it could be doable, that's how we discover new combo possibilities!

PS : You feel like this big post is not much about the combo-making process and more about getting experience and all that boring stuff?
WELL, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?!
Learn quantum physics before welding tubes together trying to build a hadron collider.

Last edited:
Thanks man, that gives me some tools to think about in training. I appreciate it!