• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

New to Skullgirls (online fighting games in general)

Skeeledon

Reaction score
Steam
Skeeledon
Painwheel
I am fairly new to fighting games, atleast playing other online people (NOT ONLINE GAMES, I play MOBA a lot) (Just being sure people dont think i live under a rock or something). I used to as a kid play some fighting games but they were always against bots. Now me and my friends got into this and are having fun, but they are beating me constantly. I am trying to play more then them so i can catch up. I have read a good bit and played for a around 6 hours or so. Also I have decided to make PainWheel my main. I understand most of her combos come from fly cancel. So here are a few questions.

1. Is getting an assist character worth it? If so who goes well to support PainWheel?
2. A few combos i have read i see something called a buer cancel. I understand that a buer is a 2-3-6 + K, but what does the cancel mean? Is it to cancel frames to go into a combo faster?
3. This is for PainWheel players mostly. Any tips you wish you knew earlier on playing PainWheel?
4. Any tips in general for beginners, even to just fighting games? (I have learned not to mash recently so i am moving up). All i can think of is stick to a character and just play as much as possible.

1. Assist characters are worth it down the line especially if you're playing PW, but for now you're probably going to want to play solo for a while just to get a feel for the game. Get used to how PW plays, then try another character and see how that works. I'd recommend the classic x/Filia Updo/Double Butt shell but there are other options.
2. Buer Cancel is just flight canceling a Buer. As soon as you hit with Buer you can cancel into flight and do stuff afterward. It's a bit tricky to do at first but you'll get used to it.
3. Armor. Use it and abuse it. Know what points you can Hatred Guard a move from and either send it back or flight cancel out of it to get your offense going. Painwheel is all about rushdown, so you want to be on the offensive as often as possible. In addition, you always want to be above your opponent, as her air-to-ground options are some of the best in the game, while her anti-airs and air-to-airs are subpar.
4. Don't give up. You're going to lose a lot. Everyone does. Every time you lose look back on the match and try to see what you did wrong and try to improve in that area.

Reactions: Skeeledon
as a painwheel main, watch out for pushblocks because that's her weakness right there.from my experience a running cerebella and/or tremolo squiggly opened up the other guy to let me hit them better than the others.Results may vary though.

problems when fighting the followin:

squiggly:opera's dangerous up close
cerebella:that air spank will take time to learn to avoid.
parasoul:one hell of a hard time getting this one, the range that umbrella has.
bigband:depends on the player more.big target but in the right hands he can mess you up quick.
valentine:watch out for jumping heavy kicks and punch ALWAYS.grab that bitch when she do it.

Reactions: Skeeledon
~~~~~here some tips~~~~
1- ALWAYS PICK BIG BAND...ALWAYS
2- mash like no tomorrow
3- if you have played MvC3 you are a pro because is the same game but with girls and one dude
4- remember Brass knuckle> EVERYTHING
5- go to character screen and pick up BIG BAND, hes invincible and well you can do whatever you want
6- if for some reason you pick peacock...grab your controller/ arcade stick and mash it, spam like no tomorrow and you might win
7- if your opponent hits you first, leave you pad/arcade stick on the table and walk away, there are no form of getting rid of that combo...anti-combo system...whats that?

this are some friendly tips that you NEED TO FOLLOW in order to play skullgirls~

I am fairly new to fighting games, atleast playing other online people (NOT ONLINE GAMES, I play MOBA a lot) (Just being sure people dont think i live under a rock or something). I used to as a kid play some fighting games but they were always against bots. Now me and my friends got into this and are having fun, but they are beating me constantly. I am trying to play more then them so i can catch up. I have read a good bit and played for a around 6 hours or so. Also I have decided to make PainWheel my main. I understand most of her combos come from fly cancel. So here are a few questions.

1. Is getting an assist character worth it? If so who goes well to support PainWheel?
2. A few combos i have read i see something called a buer cancel. I understand that a buer is a 2-3-6 + K, but what does the cancel mean? Is it to cancel frames to go into a combo faster?
3. This is for PainWheel players mostly. Any tips you wish you knew earlier on playing PainWheel?
4. Any tips in general for beginners, even to just fighting games? (I have learned not to mash recently so i am moving up). All i can think of is stick to a character and just play as much as possible.

1. Yes, yes, yes. You are playing Painwheel. Painwheel is optimal second on a team with a nice point who wants to DHC out into her hatred install. Good choices are Parasoul, Fillia, Big Band (ok it's not THAT good of a point choice, but it works) or Fortune, but others work. I personally like Fortune/PW. You are going to want a 3rd as well. Decent choices there would depend on your point but often you want an assist to compliment your point but most of all, work as an emergency backup incase your point dies before DHCing into Painwheel. Something like Double's Hornet Bomber, Eliza's 214MP or even Cerebella's Cerecopter.

2. You can cancel buer as such > 236K xx 214K. It is cancelling into your flight special, buer combos are essential to getting decent damage and corner carry with Painwheel so grind those out.

3. Painwheel is not a rush down character. Painwheel is a pressure character. If you are at neutral, you are probably going to be moving backwards, you want to bait your opponent then pressure them. This is why you DHC into her Hatred Install, to bypass neutral entirely. Flight from the ground is not a mixup and even moderately decent opponents are going to anti air you if you just go LMH xx fly 6j.LK repeat

4. Try to take to heart the advice that people give you, but know that people look at things from different angles so you will get a ton of advice, often confusing and sometimes seemingly conflicting. Pick one aspect at a time and focus on it hard for a short burst. Keep switching up what you practice to keep it interesting, but if you were organised you could keep a log of what you practiced, always come back to old concepts, never forget the basics and you will improve much quicker. You cannot learn everything at once. Chunking is the way.