• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Now what?

SpaghettiViking

Nublet in Training
Reaction score
Steam
SpaghettiViking
PSN
SpaghettiViking
XBL
SpaghettiViking
Filia Cerebella
New player here. This is my first week with this game, and I've run into my first set of major roadblocks. I've identified three major issues that separate me from the people I played against online last night.

#1: I've learned a pair of basic but solidly damaging universal BnBs for my Filia and Cerebella, but I get my ass royally whooped by anyone who knows how to use block strings with assists. I constantly find myself in the corner, locked down and praying for a mistake because I have no idea how to escape pressure.

#2: My second problem is exactly the opposite. How do I keep the pressure on after a knockdown? Occasionally with Filia on point, I can line up Cerecopter to start a blockstring, but oftentimes my opponent just techs away and I'm left in a bad spot and scratching my head.

#3: Lastly, how do I approach the neutral game with this character combo? I typically run Filia on point since she's the one I'm most comfortable using. Just throwing out IAD j.HP isn't cutting it against people who know what they are doing.

Thanks for any advice! I'm SpaghettiViking on PC, PS3, and XBL. I own skullgirls on all 3 devices. I'd love it if someone could sit down and show me what I need to be practicing.

New player here. This is my first week with this game, and I've run into my first set of major roadblocks. I've identified three major issues that separate me from the people I played against online last night.

#1: I've learned a pair of basic but solidly damaging universal BnBs for my Filia and Cerebella, but I get my ass royally whooped by anyone who knows how to use block strings with assists. I constantly find myself in the corner, locked down and praying for a mistake because I have no idea how to escape pressure.

#2: My second problem is exactly the opposite. How do I keep the pressure on after a knockdown? Occasionally with Filia on point, I can line up Cerecopter to start a blockstring, but oftentimes my opponent just techs away and I'm left in a bad spot and scratching my head.

#3: Lastly, how do I approach the neutral game with this character combo? I typically run Filia on point since she's the one I'm most comfortable using. Just throwing out IAD j.HP isn't cutting it against people who know what they are doing.

Thanks for any advice! I'm SpaghettiViking on PC, PS3, and XBL. I own skullgirls on all 3 devices. I'd love it if someone could sit down and show me what I need to be practicing.

1.yes, it is difficult to escape pressure. watch Worldjem's defense tutorial it will help.

2. don't knock them down. just do blockstring, call copter at the same time, then do mixups while they're blocking copter. If you land a combo, either end it in Super if its gonna kill, or if it's not gonna kill, do a reset. Instead of knocking them down, you purposely end your combo in a way that leads to a mixup or more pressure w/ copter.

3. filia's pretty vanilla in the neutral game, use her speed to your advantage. Just going in blindly with IAD HP is too obvious most of the time, But its still an option. Im not a great filia but basically you just gotta read your opponent and counter what they're doing. You got Updo and Gregor for defense, and for offense, any time you make them block something Call ceracopter then go into mixups.

Thanks for the advice!

I found a couple videos by Worldjem about hidden defense mechanics, but no comprehensive defense tutorials. Could you link to the vid you were referring to?

I knew resets were a big part of this game, but I kept telling myself I wasn't there yet. Guess I know what to start practicing for offense.

I'll try to find a good Filia player who will sit down and show me what's up.

I found a couple videos by Worldjem about hidden defense mechanics, but no comprehensive defense tutorials. Could you link to the vid you were referring to?
I think he might have actually been referring to this guide by wj.

For Filia, knock down isn't bad. If you IAD and jHK over their body as they're getting up, you can do ambiguous cross-up which can be confirmed (with a cr.LK) into a combo. Careful though, things like wake-up DP will punish you. However then you can start dashing up to them and just baiting that DP. Filia has options when the opponent is down, because she can stay close and keep up the pressure.

1. Use pushblock to your advantage - when you pushblock, there's a certain amount of time where you can't be mixed up high-low until pushblock animation ends. Pushblock the point character always to create space. Whenever you pushblock you are reset to a neutral character state so you can do a move (like Updo) when pushblock ends, so you can create & blow up gaps in pressure this way. The rest is just experience - eat pressure until you learn how to get around it.

2. Dagwood covered it.

3. Use Fillia's movement to your advantage - She can jump, airball, airdash, and still be able to call assist. You can even use j.HK to suspend yourself in the air for longer. One good shiki to use is jump, qcb LK, airdash, call assist ontop of the opponent and fall down onto them. Even if you don't have assist it can be used to decent effect.

You can also try to get them to block a jumping normal, saving your airdash, but then airdash canceling it into j.MP or whatever to gain ground & force them to block, running whatever dirty mixups you please after/during blockstun.

Otherwise, play fundamental spacing/movement pressure games to try edge them into the corner while punishing approaches. Fillia isn't a complicated character so using her buttons to blow up approach & lay pressure is fairly straightforward.