• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Palette editor/user created palettes

MajoraZ

Reaction score
Steam
Jabberwockxeno
XBL
JABBERWOCK xeno
Double Valentine Eliza
After reading "A Rather Refined Palette", I really think it'd be cool to have user created palettes. Whether this is done by releasing an editor, or just opening up those game files to be edited with instructions on how to do so, it'd be a neat feature.

Can´t be. Everybody would make skin-colored palettes or monstrosities with 250+ different flashy colors just to kill your sight.

Also the DLC color pack would be pointless.

As much as I agree it would be pointless and all those dumb idiots that make the skin color colors....
I personally wouldn't mind the color editor someday I have a bunch of colors I feel filia deserves so as much as I respect the reasons why it most likely wont happen I still do want it.

Last I heard, (though honestly I haven't tried it yet) you can't edit the palettes even locally. And you definitely used to be able to sometime in the beta, because I've done that. Considering the decision was made to take away the user's ability to do this when it was once possible, I don't see them changing their minds and allowing it again. Disallowing it is very understandable for reasons already posted.

the closest i'd expect to there ever being a palette editor is if its implemented as a separate process outside the game

like a steam workshop thing or something.

I tried to mod the colors, the palettes are inside a .gfs file that, if edited, will not load into the game.
(dev.gfs if I recall correctly, they are for the change character screen)
Changing as much as a single byte makes the file not load, crashing the game
The bigger (100MB+) files don't have that protection so stages/music/sounds can be edited to an extent.

Last edited:
Woah. Never expected to see you join here, 0xFAIL. I still have a random beta build from July 19th from my time with such tinkerings. I mainly wanted to try my hand at getting stuff out, not modded, then put back in. Now, an official frame dump exists, which is what I was mostly after. Still would be cool to actually figure out the image format, but I don't have the time. (Nor the skills, most likely.)

Well maybe someday after the games done...a looooong time after it's done and there bored enough they'd allow that lol.

i just sorta hope they'd release a .psd file or something to allow easier color edits for the custom color thread in the art forum

Not gonna hate on the idea too much since I would love a feature like this myself, but let me explain my somewhat understanding of what this would cause. Firstly if it was done through the game itself in the form of an editor that is dev time(money) taken away from character, stage, sound, and various other portions of design. Furthermore if we were allowed to edit the game files it could cause major problems. How? Simply put with how many lines of code Skullgirls is bound to be made up of it is next to impossible to guarantee that by doing so someone would never find a whole to access other parts of the game from in which there could end up being a huge problem. It's not worth the effort or time overall and honestly as a company it's a bad business decision.

Whoops completly forgot about this:
in dev.gfs in "temp\palettized_hud_art" there are all character portraits separated into lines/palette/highlights
Not perfect but better than nothing

cerebella.jpg

I really wish this were a thing. Although considering it would cost money to implement and make the color DLC worthless, it could probably cost about $5-$10 to buy the editor and then do as you wish.

No its.never going to happen stop asking

IT WILL HAPPEN EVENTUALLY!!!
But I know that is a VERY low possibility.
Modding for this game can't come any sooner...

This was addressed a long time ago, back when this forum didn't exist and everyone was on SRK. The primary reason IIRC is to prevent people from making dumb looking palettes such as all flesh colored ones, all black ones or ones with weird, flashy colors.

Whoops completly forgot about this:
in dev.gfs in "temp\palettized_hud_art" there are all character portraits separated into lines/palette/highlights
Not perfect but better than nothing

View attachment 2121
Ah, cool, I assume this is accessible via your mod tool?