• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Philips wants to ban WiiU in the US?

Who's at fault?

• Total voters
Clickbait.

They can't "ban" the sale of it, if anything Nintendo will have to pay royalties and that would be bad for them.

Phillips is being a dick as well. Nintendo is countersuing, however, and I'm sure they'll win it.

Phillips won the thing in Europe, however, because the European court is rigged as fuck.

Hasn't Nintendo been sued for every piece of hardware they've released in the last 10 years? I'm starting to get tired of companies coming at Nintendo with vague copyrights.

It's true, according to the patents by Philips themselves. If Philips felt Nintendo infringed on a patent own by Philips, then Philips, by all means, had the right to sue Nintendo for Patent Infringement. However, Philips attempting to ban the sale of the Nintendo's Wii U in the US is, and excuse me for saying this, retarded bullshit, in my very honest opinion. Now I have nothing to say as to why this situation is bullshit because I don't know what makes it so, according to Copyright or Patent whatever law, but I bet you a Nintendo Virtual Boy that fans and advocates of Nintendo and all of their related products will not stand for this and will make petitions and go to their local Congress (or whatever else advocates plan to do) in order to fight against Philips' order.

I predict a war on the internet will rage on against Philips and in favor of Nintendo, but I won't really be a part of it aside from signing a petition or two.

What the deuce
I swear if these hooligans prevent mah Bayo Dos

Oh man
There will be rage

Nevermind Bayonetta
If these guys prevent Smash Bros. Wii U...

hCBBEF5F5

What the hell is a Phillips

Reactions: Icky
Nevermind Bayonetta
If these guys prevent Smash Bros. Wii U...

hCBBEF5F5
I vote TechPowah to be on the front lines when we raid Philips

His rage

It is full of delicious carnage

Guide us, oh o' raging beast. Guide us to vanquish those who wish to keep us from the Smashing of the Brothers.

Fret not, my children, for my potential anger towards the prevention of the Smash Brethren is a vile, uncontainable fury that the combined rage of Asura, Donald Duck, Jotaro Kujo and Samuel L. Jackson could never hope to oppose.

Heed me, Phillips! For should your legal feud with Nintendo turn in your favor, you shall know hatred that your worst nightmares only hypothesize about!

In short:

It's true, according to the patents by Philips themselves. If Philips felt Nintendo infringed on a patent own by Philips, then Philips, by all means, had the right to sue Nintendo for Patent Infringement. However, Philips attempting to ban the sale of the Nintendo's Wii U in the US is, and excuse me for saying this, retarded bullshit, in my very honest opinion. Now I have nothing to say as to why this situation is bullshit because I don't know what makes it so, according to Copyright or Patent whatever law, but I bet you a Nintendo Virtual Boy that fans and advocates of Nintendo and all of their related products will not stand for this and will make petitions and go to their local Congress (or whatever else advocates plan to do) in order to fight against Philips' order.

SPOILER: at the end, both unite and make the BD-i to take on MS and Sony

I really don't get what's going on. What's Philips? What patent? Driver patent? Selling patent? What is this American obsession with suing? Is it your national sport? We prefer soccer here

I think our national sport is "No one cares about sports unless it's Football, the Olympics and sometimes Baseball", kinda sad considering Baseball still has the title "America's pastime".

Reactions: chickenwithtie
My national sport is fighting games

Reactions: Fernando
I really don't get what's going on. What's Philips? What patent? Driver patent? Selling patent? What is this American obsession with suing? Is it your national sport? We prefer soccer here

Philips is an electronics company. They have a patent on a user interface controlled by a motion device. They legally own all menus navigated with a motion controller. And America doesn't have an obsession with suing, they have an obsession with getting lots of money very easily. This is easily done by suing people for stupid shit and paying for good lawyers (like the woman that sued McDonalds for making coffee too hot after she spilled her coffee on herself. And won. LOTS of money.)

And if you don't defend your stuff, apparently the government sees no reason why you should have it in the first place. Or is that just for copyrights?

That's the weirdest concept to even consider possessed holy shit
How did they even get it? They bought it from the creator of menu interfaces?

I doubt Philips will win this. Their patent is ultra vague and just now they decided to sue.

That's the weirdest concept to even consider possessed holy shit

In the US, everything belongs to someone. You can't even pick fruit from trees without getting arrested.

Huh.I only have one thing to say.Please pardon the French that I can't speak.Phillips,we know about the motion control thing,but,quit being bitchy about it!If you already knew about the motion controls and were cool with it then,why are you suing now?!Going off of a vague claim will get you nowhere Mr. Company Fat Cat,just no...Phillips...no...I refuse to let them squander my gaming experiences when I do get a WiiU.I wanna play Sonic flipping Boom for crying out loud!
422131_535237083201469_1411865268_n.jpg

Excuse me, but, what?

panda-rage-2-o.gif
I apologize if that made no sense.I just wanna storm into the company and give the guy who thought of suing Nintendo, a huge slap across the face.

No fanboyism here, blame both. Nintendo for not consulting the patents and Philips for waiting all this time to make the lawsuit

considering this lawsuit was being done in the region where King can file to put patents on common words, it makes no surprise how Philips could win it in Europe. from what I can tell lawsuits there are just plain busted.

but I highly doubt they'll have the same luck in America. and if they try anyway, we'll just send Reggie Fils-Amech on them. that'll learn 'em.