• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Really sore thumb...

Raptor1138

The Ambitious Fool
Reaction score
Steam
Raptor1138
XBL
NESG Raptor1138
Painwheel Filia Cerebella
Been practicing for a long time and my thumb joint is starting to get really sore and tired. I also got a blister the other day from my D-pad. To players more experienced than me: is this to be expected? Or am I playing a little too much?

If you punch a wall with your other hand, the pain would be more then the pain in your thumb, making your thumb fine.
#problemsolved

die4me2.jpg

I had the same issue when i first started playing, on the xbox 360 controller.
After about 10 games my thumbs would feel sore so i was pretty much done.

Just make a habit of playing those 10 games every day(either in quickmatch, arcade mode ect) and you eventually develop the strength to not get sore.

Then i had that problem again with my wrist and playing on a arcade stick.... solved it the same way, 5-10 matches a day.

I had the same issue when i first started playing, on the xbox 360 controller.
After about 10 games my thumbs would feel sore so i was pretty much done.

Just make a habit of playing those 10 games every day(either in quickmatch, arcade mode ect) and you eventually develop the strength to not get sore.

Then i had that problem again with my wrist and playing on a arcade stick.... solved it the same way, 5-10 matches a day.

Thanks a lot for the first helpful post. I've already been playing 10 or more every day, so great.

If you have problem with your joints, stretching fingers etc generally helps.
There's not much to do against Blisters aside from "Get used to playing" and "Play less", it's not like you're wearing unfitting gloves or something (I hope).

Best way to avoid getting Blisters on your thumb would be to not play on Pad.

you gotta try to play more relaxed, dont jam the d-pad really hard.

Its one of the reasons why i switched to stick

Some people just get blisters, I don't think it is a matter of playing too much. Just how hard you're workin' that D-pad. I'm heavy handed, or in this case, heavy-thumbed so I always get blisters. Omg, you should see it when I play Super Smash Bros. It is so nasty.

But yeah, long story short, stick is where it's at.

Here is my first stick. It's a good price, but it is small. I like big sticks, so I hardly use it anymore but it was good while it lasted.

If you can save up, I have a qanba q1 (the 360 edition though) and it has served me very well! Got it last Christmas and it's still working like a charm. I got a lot of blisters when playing on pad (I used the stick, not the dpad) and moving to stick has eliminated all that.

Alternatively you can push on the pad extra hard, continue to get blisters, and then your thumb will eventually become a rock. Just like string musicians! :)

Reactions: gllt
What about putting your shirt between your thumb and the D-pad?
This helped me when I was young and didn't want bubbles on my thumb after playing Tony Hawk excessively.

Reactions: drewski and gllt