• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Skullgirls crashing at first startup (Windows 8.1)

Mimsy

Reaction score
Steam
mimsrah
I recently purchased Skullgirls (with the DLC) as part of the Steam Summer Sale. After downloading the regular (The non-Endless Beta) version, I can't get it to work properly. Upon launching, I get a tiny window titled Skullgirls Encore that appears for a few moments, before being replaced by a more regular-sized window, normally completely black or showing the loading animation in the corner, before the entire game crashes and generates a crash file (some .MDMP format that it won't let me upload here? I can't even read it in notepad like a crash log or anything). I've tried installing DirectX 9 but it won't let me, I've tried compatibility mode, nothing.

Edit:
My OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit(I think)
Computer is a Toshiba Satellite with Intel(R) Graphics and an i7 processor.

I've tried installing DirectX 9 but it won't let me.
What does this mean?
Does it give you an error message?

Upon running the installer it tells me I have something newer or of equivalent already installed. I'm guessing that means I've got it installed already or something. It's late at night and while I have enough common sense to not make my computer explode, I am not very IT-conscious.

Okay, I've fixed it. It frustrates me to no end, but I finally caved and just reinstalled Steam. It works now, as does the other game I couldn't use for some stupid reason.

I'm not sure why doing a thing that fixed the problem frustrates you.
Steam is supposed to provide each game with the correct DirectX version. If it wasn't working and reinstalling fixed it, why does that qualify as anything other than "fixing the problem the correct way"?

Okay, I've fixed it. It frustrates me to no end, but I finally caved and just reinstalled Steam. It works now, as does the other game I couldn't use for some stupid reason.
Welcome to wonderful world of pc gaming!