• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Strange stuff with Eliza's j.hk as a frame trap

Reaction score

I forgot to show inputs, but I show high and low block, mashing tag, trying to do pillar (for the last half of the video)

I figure you recover and get hit in the air VERY shortly before you land, which makes you able to "crouchblock" it (actually blocking in the air and then you land and it looks like you crouchblocked it), causes mash tag to get counterhit (cus it's just read as j.MP), Pillar to not work, ..

.. and it sometimes whiffs because I'm not sure. Maybe the Para j.HK startup moves her hurtbox out of the way or something like that?

He successfully manages to get Pillar out, though. It just whiffs.

It's almost like Parasoul is considered airborne and not, at the same time or something like that.

EDIT: Can that even happen during the exit of one state and the enter of another? I'm not sure how SG is made, but I was under the impression that exit happened before enter, despite them happening in the same frame. So unless it "kara" cancels j.HK into pillar or something, I'm not sure what could possible be going on.

He successfully manages to get Pillar out, though. It just whiffs.
It's almost like Parasoul is considered airborne and not, at the same time or something like that.
Nope.
Watch the video at 0.25 speed (it's an option on Youtube right there in the Settings now), put it at fullscreen, skip to 1:04, and use the spacebar to basically get frame advance.

Parasoul recovers in the air
Enters air preblock on the frame Eliza's j.HK goes active and dodges the active frame because her preblock boxes are not as tall as her jump-fall boxes (which I guess is a bug since they are the size of her jump-apex, but that's how everyone is so I don't care)
Lands and goes through 2 frames of her landing animation
Then does Pillar normally.
What that means is if she held Back for that exact frame then tagged, a tag would also have worked. Etc.

Interestingly, if you block this way, that is block any attack that touches you as you recover from hitstun while touching the ground, what actually happens is you airblock then immediately go into stand/crouch block-idle because you landed...but since you landed you're no longer in blockstun even during the hitstop, so you can reversal with an attack on the frame you are touched. Which is actually bad for the attacker.

Also yes, exit always happens before enter, it's an FSM with no strange edge cases that I'm aware of. Even though the game allows the FSM to say "advance me again this frame" it still only takes one transition per advance. :^)