• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Ultimate X 3rd Edition

Gahooglydonks

daring baby
Reaction score
Steam
Gahooglydonks
Peacock Painwheel Filia
hello friends have you heard of puzzle fighter?

of course you have it's the greatest game ever

It's a vs puzzle game where you match gems and then break them with crash gems to send over junk blocks to your opponent. The game's progress is shown by two characters from either Street Fighter or Darkstalkers (and Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness) duking it out in between the players' playing field, and ends once one player's "drop column" is blocked by gems.

There's an updated version on the Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Store with a dying online community, so check it out and help revitalize it whee~

Reactions: Fumako
Same here.

I have a great W/L ratio in this game with Sakura.

Hit me up on PSN.

(aw man i'm on xbox)

also i totally suck, I was actually looking for some ways to get better :^D

...so can you guys like record yourselves or something?

@Persona @ElkyDori

do you guys have any tips for what to look out for on the opponent's screen? I feel like I pay too much attention to my own to see what's going on.

and how do you deal with counter block patterns

Play fast, build giant simple chains, destroy the enemy first

Actually, one good tip is when you're losing, never give up. Even if you have 2 blocks of space left in your death column, fight to survive. You can probably rotate your last piece to the left or right in the columns next to your death column because there's extra space up there that no one thinks of using.

Also, even if you're just breaking 1 or 2 junk blocks, try to make it into a simple chain. You'll get more score out of it (and maybe more enemy drop blocks?).

I think the most important skill is to play REALLY FUCKING FAST. Never not use the instant drop. Even if you're not good at making big complicated chains, if you're fast, you'll have a better chance at winning or surviving. Also playing fast trains you to be faster at building patterns and think faster in general.

For example, I've trained friends to play a lot faster by just never rotating. If you train like that by just working with what you have to build patterns, you get better overall, and then once you have the freedom of rotation again, you'll play better. Actually, you'll play slower because then you have to think about choices of where to put blocks, but hopefully you'll be faster in general by then.

I kind of play on autopilot most of the time, building lots of setups that I think should work around empty places where if I get in trouble and junk falls, they'll rescue me when I forget I built stuff there. Meanwhile, I'm concentrating on my largest chains in a safer area away from the death column.

Oh, a really key thing to keep in mind: try really really hard not to build in the death column. Unless you've got some giant monsterous chain going on and you really need the space, never build anything in there. Each block you don't put in there is another turn that'll save you if you're bombarded by the enemy.

In regards to drop patterns, all I know is: if you're good at building lots of chains, Ken is pretty great because his pattern is straight horizontal colors that will come out random on your enemy's terrain. If you're only making simple 2-3 chains, he's the worst character because he'll only drop Red on your enemy and the opponent will just laugh in 5 turns when he's having a ruby party.

I'll post more if I think of some other stuff.

Reactions: Gahooglydonks
i have the ps1/ps3 version and i like more the old one because it has more modes,unlockables and the training dojo (aka the best tutorial mode ever for a puzzle game.)

I have no time/ability to play online, but I am super happy this is a thread that was created.

yeah this game is the jam

it makes me glow with contentment like a cat who has eaten the cream of the crop

@Persona wow holy heck thank you so much for the input

I looked into some of the game's mechanics and understand that you need to aim for 4+ chains to be effective, but shouldn't big dope dollars gems be prioritized? and how hard should i try not to waste a same-color crash/regular gem piece?

Yeah, in the end a two chain made up of giant 3x5 blocks will be stronger than a puny 5 chain of 1x3 blocks or something. But let's say you have a red/blue block and your dropping piece is a red/blue crash gem, dropping the red crash gem on the red block and then chaining into the blue crash gem is stronger than just busting the two at the same time.

I try never to use a same-color crash gem/regular piece together unless I'm doing it to clear up junk in my death column. They're too valuable - just separate them and eventually you'll get 1 or 2 more blocks to make a stronger attack anyway.

Playing that strong CPU in the original game reminded me that there's a time and place for building mad chains vs building fast and simple. If you see that your enemy is preparing something huge, you have to attack first to stuff them, or if you know you're going to get stuffed, you have to have emergency escapes set around.

If you're a better player than me, you'll have memorized the enemy drop patterns and setup crash gems in appropriate areas as an emergency. But I just sort of throw them around and pray for the best while madly doing whatever.

Thought by the title that there was a new Puzzle Fighter coming out. My day is ruined.

lets just play it on GGPO.....its free.....

lets just play it on GGPO.....its free.....
That's what everyone who loved Darkstalkers said. They didn't buy Darkstalkers Resurrection. And right now, there is no new Darkstalkers coming out. Any game that you enjoy and would like to see some form of support for in the future, it's always a good idea to put your money (What's the game, $10? That's not much) into them, cause who knows when that money is the difference between a game dying on PSN/XBLA and getting an updated "Ultimate X 3rd Edition".

cause who knows when that money is the difference between a game dying on PSN/XBLA and getting an updated "Ultimate X 3rd Edition".
true true but this is capcom were talking about.

On topic, when I was a kid and first played this game the title confused me. I was upset because I liked the game, but I could never find "Super Puzzle Fighter I", and I didn't know if there was a regular "Super Puzzle Fighter II" that wasn't Turbo, or maybe a Turbo version that wasn't Super, so I wasn't sure if I was missing out on part of the experience. Completely missed out on the joke on Street Fighter titles.

Also, I never got I guess good at the game, but when I played I always got made fun of by people (friends, family, whoever) for picking this character.
spf2thd-hsien-ko-alt.jpg
I guess cause I was picking a girl when there were male characters available? I don't know. This is the first real game I played with her in it, and it's the only reason I like her. If I played her first in Darkstalkers, I don't think I would have gotten as attached to her as I did.

All this talking, maybe I'll pick the game up again on PSN. I had already re-bought it on XBLA a while ago, but my 360 is busted.

All this talking, maybe I'll pick the game up again on PSN. I had already re-bought it on XBLA a while ago, but my 360 is busted.

yes, you must.

the legacy of this game depends on you maybe kinda i don't even know

It's worth having the HD version just to have that up button for its instant drop.

Though they might have put that in the Dreamcast version? I don't know, I never played it.

There's way more content in the PS1/Saturn version though. Also the HD art isn't that great and the sfx are loud as hell. Still, HD PUZZLE FIGHTER let's play it

well

i can't really find anyone online on the xbla version, and i know very few people who will play this with me in person.
...are there any relatively active online communities dedicated to this game or...?

I WILL MONEY MATCH ANY OF YOU IN THIS GAME
PSN PERSONASAMA

BRING IT ON
geez Persona this game too?
Do I need to fly over there and money match your favorite games?

THERES A THREAD FOR THIS GAME?!?!!
Y O S E E M E I N P U Z Z L E F I G H T E R

there was a puzzle fighter arcade cabinet at the UC Daivis Memorial Union arcade

but the arcade's closed now and who knows what will happen to the precious puzzle fighter

goddammit capcom leave puzzle fighter alone

why do you have to ruin everything that was once good

When i thought they couldn't humiliate the mega man characters anymore...