• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Tag before match start

Strawberry

Oh No
Reaction score
Remeber that ability to switch character order on the fly during load screens? I still use it. However, I have a really bad habit of waiting until I actually see my character - when the match starts - before I realize I'd like to switch the ordering. I'd like to propose an alternative!
It would be really nice if we could hit the tag button combination to perform a character switch during before-match countdown, after the opening line has been said (probably during the 'ladies and gentlemen' screen). Instead of the character coming onscreen with their standard tag in attack, the point character would just jump offscreen and be replaced by their new counterpart who would harmlessly jump in.
It's even possible we could tag out between downs as well (during the 'take X!' text)!

I have no idea if this would be too visually busy or confusing, or if there is in fact a long enough window that this could be useful. Just a thought!!

I never knew this was possible...

That sounds pretty cool, I would see myself using this tons.

Like kof or tekken? im confused.

Like kof or tekken? im confused.
It's a hard tag during the "Ladies and Gentlemen" pre-fight.

It's even possible we could tag out between downs as well (during the 'take X!' text)!
How would you tag during downs if those are only in 1v1?

How would you tag during downs if those are only in 1v1?
I was just about to say exactly this. The idea of being able to do it at round start isn't bad, though, so long as you tag into the same position you otherwise would have started at.

You can have multiple rounds per team match offline, that's when downs kick in.

Ah, that makes sense.

You can have multiple rounds per team match offline, that's when downs kick in.
Ah I completely forgot about that haha

Yeah, it would not happen during downs, since you can move during downs, and because anything that isn't default settings should be considered "unsupported" since I ain't got time fo dat.

This is an awesome idea, especially if you don't want to start the round off with a match up you're bad at and want to put someone else as point.

Reactions: Hilary
Well you can already do that offline by holding Assist. You can't do it online.
And apparently nobody knows it even though it's been in forever.

Probably because it's not something you can see as the other player, because it happens before the characters appear on screen. I guess you could make it begin with the tag-in animation instead to signify a change, but it's not really important.

This is an awesome idea, especially if you don't want to start the round off with a match up you're bad at and want to put someone else as point.

I really like the idea of blind point/order selection after the character select screen.

Can't wait to try it on the 8th.

I really like the idea of blind point/order selection after the character select screen.
Can't wait to try it on the 8th.
THAT ALREADY EXISTS...during the loading screen you can hold Assist to change your point or A1+A2 to switch your last 2 characters.
The OP even mentions it in the first sentence. You just can't do it online.

Get out of town
chansub-global-emoticon-60aa1af305e32d49-23x30.png

I really hope you're kidding. That's been in since at least SDE.
It's also a permanent order change like MvC2, instead of having to do it every time like MvC3.

THAT ALREADY EXISTS...during the loading screen you can hold Assist to change your point or A1+A2 to switch your last 2 characters.
The OP even mentions it in the first sentence.

You just can't do it online.

Which is why I never knew about it, and why I'm excited to try it at my first offline event on the 8th.

Be cool.

Reactions: .42.
Was this feature ever advertised within the game or is it one of those hidden Easter Egg type deals? Like how DoA (outside the arcade version) doesn't tell you how to add glasses, change hairstyle, etc. in the character select screen.

I don't think it's mentioned *in* the game (unless it's somewhere in training mode, which I haven't touched in ages), but it's been talked about a lot on streams, etc. For one, I remember Mike bringing it up at the start of the EVO 2013 coverage when Ken(?) tried to do it but messed up.

Somehow I heard about it long before Encore came out so it's probably in the game somewhere.

Any particular reason why this isn't allowed online?

Any particular reason why this isn't allowed online?
Because I couldn't get it to work. We don't send button presses during character select (only the current state of your team), and it checks the buttons before the first frame of the match starts, because it switches the order so it loads the correct character's point-character-art file.

I could easily make it check after the first frame, but then you'd get 8-bit art for the intro poses while it was loading, which looks bad. So there's no real easy good way around it.