• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Tips For Sleep?

Jao Shingan

Squigly 4 lyfe
Reaction score
Steam
Jao Shingan
XBL
Jao Shingan
Ms. Fortune Squigly
Well, to be frank, I'm not sure if I have insomnia. I think most of my issues with staying up all night comes from my depression, but nonetheless, what would help me get to sleep? Some nights when I'm lying in bed, I just don't fall asleep. I feel musty, I feel hot, my ribs hurt, etc.

I feel the same, melatonin helps me a lot

Reactions: Cadenza
Biggest advice is to just do something, you can't sleep don't lie in bed. That's being unproductive. Go out of a walk. Go write, go do anything. Lying in bed at night will just leave you alone with your thoughts and if you're depressed you shouldn't do.

Go do whatever you like too at night just do anything but just lay in bed waiting. That's all.

Reactions: PKStoopKid
Stay away from any screen at least 1 hour before going to bed. The screen forces your brain to stay awake.
Maybe watching TV can help though, depends on people, but having interactions (PC and smartphones) keeps you awake for sure.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I play on my cellphone until I sleep, but I have a horrible sleep time, so...

Depression will keep you up at night but like agent13 said, if you sit alone with your thoughts for too long (and your probably in the dark) depression will kick in (I know I suffer from depression). If your gonna lie in bed and don't feel like moving around, take a notebook and write about anything, your day story/character ideas, goals aspirations ect this will at least stimulate your brain. Also try not to sleep with a TV on it gives you a reason to stay up. If your ribs hurt,you have to see a doctor or at least tell a friend or family member. I use to have the same sleeping problem. Do you work? That tires me out sometimes. The obvious answer play a game of Skullgirls if you have to. But seriously though if you do feel like staying in bed close your eyes and slowly breathe deep breaths breathing through your stomach, and then clear your thoughts don't allow your mind to ramble but you don't shut it out by forcing it to stop or mentally saying shut up just calmly stop thinking and let it clear itself.

If it's not medical insomnia, hot drinks like chamomille can help. Maybe some sweet music. I love to sleep to Enya or Branduardi

If it's medical insomnia you should consider getting help from an expert. Wish you the best

I feel the same, melatonin helps me a lot
I've used 10 milligrams of Melatonin for the past two years, so maybe I should up to 20? Or is that just foolish and dangerous?

I've used 10 milligrams of Melatonin for the past two years, so maybe I should up to 20? Or is that just foolish and dangerous?
I have around 30, I dont think it is particularly dangerous you should read up on th jst in case

Reactions: Jao Shingan
Other than recommending help from an expert if this is a medical condition, I would suggest doing some sort of "pre-bed" routine, e.g. very light stretching, reading for 15 minutes, having a warm drink ( as someone suggested ). This isn't an instant fix by any means, but if you can keep this up every night for a week or two, your body will begin to associate this routine with "ok after this comes sleep" and can help you wind down.

I usually stretch a tad, since I go very slow with it and find it very relaxing, I'm usually yawning like crazy by the time I'm done with it and pass right out afterwards.

It's not for everyone, but ASMR videos help me a lot when I have trouble sleeping.

Make sure not to eat immediately before bed. I generally try not to eat or drink at least 1/2 hour before bed, usually more for food. Especially avoid caffeine within 3 or 4 hours of bedtime. Setting up a regular workout schedule can help. Have a regular sleep schedule. Make sure you don't do activities in your sleeping area. Make sure your sleep area is very dark and quiet. Buy a sleep mask if you can't make it dark enough for whatever reason and ear plugs if you can't make it quiet enough. Keep your sleep temperature fairly consistent. Whether this means extra fans or blankets, it really helps to keep things consistent. As you develop a sleep cycle, it helps to go to bed extra early when establishing a schedule.

If all this doesn't help, see a cognitive therapist. Therapy tends to be more beneficial than pills.

I can probably dig up some more, but I don't really want to dig through my back copies of psych journals.

Reactions: Jao Shingan
You could always hit yourself with a frying pan.

Play solo Val mirror matches, that always helps me
residentsleeper.png

It's not for everyone, but ASMR videos help me a lot when I have trouble sleeping.

^This right here.

I recommend watching a video that was recorded with 3D/stereo/surround sound, and a higher quality microphone so you get the least amount of background noise. My favorite ones tend to be the cranial nerve examinations or ear exam roleplays, since they tend to walk around you and/or whisper/make sounds in each ear. Really soothing, I fall asleep real quick even during the daytime in a lit room.

If you have a problem with personal space or having strangers whisper stuff in your ear then you should avoid this though lol. It's pretty weird at first if you've never seen or listened to one of these videos.

Here are a few of my favorites:

If all else fails and you've run out of ideas, I guess there's no harm in trying this video:

TRIGGER WARNING! ;3

Sweet dreams! :3

EDIT: I FORGOT TO MENTION, USE HEADPHONES.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaioLugon