• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Unable to jump when being pressured (proximity guard?)

hatsunemiku

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed something that is rather frustrating while playing skullgirls (PC ver.) and to be honest I'm not really sure if it's a bug but, sometimes, when being pressured, I can't seem to jump at all. This might be a feature against chicken blocking but I doubt it...

Usually happens when facing Painwheel or Squigly, or when doublebutt assist is out.

please fix.

Hi,

I noticed something that is rather frustrating while playing skullgirls (PC ver.) and to be honest I'm not really sure if it's a bug but, sometimes, when being pressured, I can't seem to jump at all. This might be a feature against chicken blocking but I doubt it...

Usually happens when facing Painwheel or Squigly, or when doublebutt assist is out.

please fix.

It isn't a bug. If there is a low or you are in preblock, you cannot jump. This is indeed a nerf to chicken guard (doesn't eliminate it). It means you cannot up back to avoid mixups, because low/throw itself becomes a 50/50.

Basically, if they use a mid or high, you will go into preblock and block as normal, if they use a low or a projectile (including assist) OR an attack from 300px away (which is really weird and I don't think should exist) then you will get hit out of prejump.

It isn't a bug. If there is a low or you are in preblock, you cannot jump. This is indeed a nerf to chicken guard (doesn't eliminate it). It means you cannot up back to avoid mixups, because low/throw itself becomes a 50/50.

Basically, if they use a mid or high, you will go into preblock and block as normal, if they use a low or a projectile (including assist) OR an attack from 300px away (which is really weird and I don't think should exist) then you will get hit out of prejump.

How many pixels does the screen have ( for ranging purposes) now i know why i get hit out of my jump sometimes.

How many pixels does the screen have ( for ranging purposes) now i know why i get hit out of my jump sometimes.
It's enough so that most long range moves can cause it. Fillia's 5HK is a big suspect because it moves back then comes in with her "center of mass" far back. 2MK > 5HK catches up back consistently.

Other culprits are things like:

BB 2HP.

Multiple Parasoul normals.

Probably PW 6HK? Not tested but I would assume so.

Titan/Fugazi Knuckle.

There are probably actually a lot of situations, with things like rush punches and the like as well that have the same effect.

300px seems to be about the range you are when you have blocked about 4-5 hits, though obviously actual knockback/vaccuum varies by attack. I'd say about 1 Double's width. Maybe 1.5 Doubles.

Reactions: Dime
Oh, well, thank you. Now I know it's not a glitch and will watch out for it.

This only stops you from jumping *back*, by the way. You're still allowed to jump straight up or forward in this situation.

Reactions: Tomo009
This only stops you from jumping *back*, by the way. You're still allowed to jump straight up or forward in this situation.

Now that's pretty strange because I thoroughly remember trying to jump OVER painwheel as parasoul, in a corner, but it wouldn't let me.

Now that's pretty strange because I thoroughly remember trying to jump OVER painwheel as parasoul, in a corner, but it wouldn't let me.
Are you sure you weren't just in a blockstring?

Skullgirls, as most games now seem to, has an auto block when you are already in blockstun. If it was a true blockstring of all high/mid moves you would have just blocked all of them.

If they did a low, it would have caught you and you would have been hit, which is also possible the way you explained it.

What exactly was happening at the time? I think you need to explain this a bit better haha.

I know I wasn't in a blockstring because I ended up doing s.LP instead of j.LP.

I know I wasn't in a blockstring because I ended up doing s.LP instead of j.LP.
Now it sounds like you cancelled your OWN prejump into a standing normal.

It's a feature to make up-back during pressure weaker. You have to either block on the ground or jump up/up-forward.

I pressed LP way after trying to jump.
I think you need to explain the full situation so we can help haha. Prejump is not very long.

I think you need to explain the full situation so we can help haha. Prejump is not very long.

As you can see I'm not good at explaining things so I'll let it slide until someone else experiences the same issue and explains what went wrong better than I ever could.