• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Underrated/overlooked games.

RyanR

Reaction score
Filia
So I wanted to make a thread where people could talk about games that they feel don't get enough love.

I'll start it off.
The game is Elemental Gimmick Gear or just EGG for short. Its a Dreamcast exclusive, and my personal favorite on the system. I don't think this game is underrated, as everybody that has played it seems to really likes it. But its deferentially overlooked.

The game is a top-down 2D adventure game kind of like A Link to the Past. So if you enjoy games like that, then I think you'll enjoy this. :)

Here is some gameplay.

Hagane is a very, very, cool side scrolling Ninja game on SNES. It has a huge move set (an interesting horizontal double jump, a dive kick, dodge rolls, several different follow ups to your dodge roll, and 4 different weapons including a grappling hook). The stages are insanely varied and creative, and the games challenge is really just right (it even has a second loop with harder difficulty when you beat it).

Also the aesthetic is really cool, even though some of the environments are a bit grey. Gotta love buddhist magic powered robot Ninja's.

Games that are underrated:

Panel De Pon
Parodius Da!
Ether Vapor
X-Multiply

I love Panel De Pon so much, because it's the japanese version of Tetris Attack, even though Tetris Attack has nothing to do with original Tetris. I had so much fun playing the VS. mode by matching 3 or more blocks, and I get to perform combos and chains as well. It's my favorite puzzle game besides Bejeweled 3.

Dump Incoming:

Noitu Love 2: Devolution
Ittle Dew
Megabyte Punch
Receiver
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (not sure if this still counts as obscure, honestly, but I threw it in anyway.)
Card City Nights
Moonbase Alpha
The Ship
Starseed Pilgrim
Waking Mars
Dustforce
Fly'n
They Bleed Pixels
Dungeons of Dredmor
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
Analogue: A Hate Story
Hate Plus
Long Live the Queen
War of the Human Tanks

Yoshi's Story. The game is generally looked over for being easy, short, and not Yoshi's Island, but I love it so much. There was no Baby Mario to deal with, you could aim the egg throw manually, the aesthetic looked great and has aged well, and the music is so good!

Eschatos

Quite possibly the best shmup ever made (or at least top 3), but only those who follow import console titles will know about it. It's a bullet hell shooter, but plays and feels radically different from every other such game out there, and ends up feeling like it got the best of both worlds from oldschool shooters and bullet hell. Everything about the games design just feels good on a fundamental level. And the soundtrack varies from rad to beautiful.

The King of Dragons

Maybe has more of a following than I'm aware of, since it was an early Super Nintendo port, but I almost never hear this game mentioned compared to the games it later inspired (Knights of The Round, and the Dungeons and Dragons Mystara games). I really wish more 2d beat em ups played like this game, it's more about side stepping and blocking random enemy attacks on reaction rather than zoning out enemies or abusing ai loops like other beat em ups, and in some ways feels more like a modern action game. It's also got the awesome pseudo Dungeons and Dragons aesthetic that Mystara would later run with (it even goes so far as to refer to the devs as "Game Masters" in the credits), and its got music by Yoko Shimmomura whom some of you might know as the composer for Street Fighter 2, Parasite Eve, and Kingdom Hearts.

Dungeon Magic/Light Bringer

Similar to the above, it's a DnD themed arcade beat em up by Taito that almost nobody seems to have heard of, and plays with the formula even more than Shadow Over Mystara did. The combat is like your typical beat em up, but the game has an isometric perspective, and instead of being linear each stage is a dungeon maze with multiple paths, secret rooms, treasure, traps, etc. It has a real feel of exploration and adventure while keeping in tact the tight arcade style action game feel.

Vanguard Princess

Really unique fighting game with a very cool 2 person fighting mechanic, but almost nobody outside of Japan's doujin crowd has played it seriously due to the lack of any kind of built in or convenient netplay.

Elemental Gearbolt

Dark and beautiful lightgun game

Alundra

Basically a 2d legend of zelda with a very dark but awesome story and incredibly difficult puzzle based dungeons. Oh and you can jump without the Roc's Feather, so that's a plus.

Contra Shattered Soldier

I think people tend to forget about this one, but it was the true revival of good Contra games before Contra 4. It has a similar "boss rush" style of gameplay to Contra Hardcorps, but while I never found Hardcorps enjoyable, Shattered Soldier was really fun to me because the bosses felt a lot better designed and the stages more interesting and varied. Also another great soundtrack.

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

3d spiritual sequel to Ghouls and Ghosts. It manages to pull off a lot of things in 3d that are even now mostly relegated to 2d, and it's incredibly fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Compa