• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Universal hitboxes during combos

Coliflowerz

San Rafael, CA fite mi m8
Reaction score
Steam
coliflowerz
Painwheel Fukua
I don't think anyone likes character specific combos. I'm wondering if it's possible that during hitstun, all characters have the same hitbox and weight to prevent this. I can only see it being an issue for Big Band and maybe Peacock, but idk. KOFXIII has this feature and it works out pretty well.

What do you guys think? What are the benefits to character specific combos?

I don't think anyone likes character specific combos. I'm wondering if it's possible that during hitstun, all characters have the same hitbox and weight to prevent this. I can only see it being an issue for Big Band and maybe Peacock, but idk. KOFXIII has this feature and it works out pretty well.

What do you guys think? What are the benefits to character specific combos?
more damage.

double_air_mid03_double_1p.png

So are they the same for every character? Then why do character specific combos exist?

I've been playing for one day don't hurt me
He is just making fun of you.

Character specific combos are cool. People like them. They add more variety to combo possibilities. Finding them is part of the challenge the game offers, like most fighting games.

Bad idea.

Reactions: Flotilla
im pretty sure most combos work on all characters though the heavier and larger a character is you can do more damage as their large hitboxes allow more freedom with moves.

Character specific combos are cool. People like them. They add more variety to combo possibilities. Finding them is part of the challenge the game offers, like most fighting games.

Bad idea.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. I guess it isn't too bad in SG. It's pretty bad in SF4 or something where certain dumb mix-ups work on some characters, and not on others. Shout-out to Ryu FADC'ing through certain characters.

IDK, I always personally found it frustrating to have to adjust everytime I face a new character but... maybe that's just me.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. I guess it isn't too bad in SG. It's pretty bad in SF4 or something where certain dumb mix-ups work on some characters, and not on others. Shout-out to Ryu FADC'ing through certain characters.

IDK, I always personally found it frustrating to have to adjust everytime I face a new character but... maybe that's just me.
Most bnbs work on all the same characters, not a lot of them are character specific

Reactions: Coliflowerz
I enjoy different weights. Could do without certain characters having weird hitboxes that cause fairy easy things to become really hard or even impossible, but outside that the character specificness is fine. 'Sides, there's only three weights, and there'll only ever be three. The only weights are Double/BigBand=Heavy, Cerebella/Parasoul/Eliza=Medium, and then Everyone else=Light. It's not nearly as bad as USF4.

1. KoF13 has character specific combos

2. You can make/find universal combos in SG

If it were any other game I might agree with you. But due to the training mode doing it's best to let you know exactly what can and can not work, I'm gonna have to say keep it how it is. There aren't a whole lot of character specific things, and finding/doing them is actually a pretty important piece of the player experience in a versus-style game.
Also I play big-band, so the one getting rekt from character specific stuff is usually me. I don't really mind it (unless it's filia).

Game would be a better one if every character had the same size and same during-combo-weight. Much better.

But giving BigBand a Squigly-sized hurtbox (or vice-versa) would be extremely silly
No can do~

Reactions: mcpeanuts
It bothered me at first, but then it became fun to come up with heavy character-specific combos and doing more damage. And then became really satisfying to find a BNB that did the most damage over any other BNB and still was universal, mmmm that's the good stuff.

I could deal without Painwheel being uncatchable with c.lk c.mk after MGR however. It bothers me to grab the hardest-to-grab character and not being able to follow through like you can with everyone else.

It bothered me at first, but then it became fun to come up with heavy character-specific combos and doing more damage. And then became really satisfying to find a BNB that did the most damage over any other BNB and still was universal, mmmm that's the good stuff.

I could deal without Painwheel being uncatchable with c.lk c.mk after MGR however. It bothers me to grab the hardest-to-grab character and not being able to follow through like you can with everyone else.
Why dont you just slightly "DASH(:PUN:)" forward and catch her with cr.lp cr.mk like everyone else? Its kinda easy to do.

I wonder how universal hitboxes would work when getting hit. Never tried that in any fighter so it could A: Break the game or
B: help it (maybe)

It doesn't actually work on painwheel, Sonic. I've tried its pretty weird.

I don't really mind how the game is now because a lot of combos you find tend to be universal, and if you go out of your way to do character specific stuff you're rewarded for it with more damage or better resets which is nice.

Hmmm I guess I was thinking of the cornerZ
Im stressed

Why dont you just slightly "DASH" forward and catch her with cr.lp cr.mk like everyone else? Its kinda easy to do.

It doesn't actually work on painwheel, Sonic. I've tried its pretty weird.
You should know better than to doubt the better Bella players SF. tsk tsk
And while we're on that topic, you technically still can do dash c.mk c.hp into weaker and less consistent stuff. Still bugs me though.

Edit: SF you totally stole your custom title line from my signature. So unoriginal as always.

Reactions: SonicFox
Things like that bella thing: have you pointed it out to Mike and see what he thinks?

Things like that bella thing: have you pointed it out to Mike and see what he thinks?

Is there a way to summon someone like in reddit?

Though I get the feeling if there was, mike's inbox would be flooded constantly.

There is and it is.

You should know better than to doubt the better Bella players SF. tsk tsk
And while we're on that topic, you technically still can do dash c.mk c.hp into weaker and less consistent stuff. Still bugs me though.

Edit: SF you totally stole your custom title line from my signature. So unoriginal as always.
Whoa hold up I used to have that custom title WAAAAAAY before I met you sir. Except im not frolicking. Im manlier.
I skip B\

3 many foxes

Universal hitboxes for combos is a neat idea, keeps the game on whats important and not on gimmicks.