• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine's LV2 not freezing supers when own assist is on screen?

Mwisk

Wholehearted supporter! (Aka Mhardle)
Reaction score
Valentine Big Band Fukua
This was found by @Calexe, apparently works with any assist. If Val does a lv2 together with her own assist call some supers still power through and ignore the freezing. If you delay the call a little it seems to work as normal. He asked me for clarification on the matter, but I have no idea what happened.

Another video:

@Mike_Z

Last edited:
Wow. That's pretty nuts.

try that in slowmotion with hitboxes on, should be easier to see whats going on

Here's my guess at the game engine's logic. Edited for readability.
Keep in mind that this is just a guess, I don't claim to know how Skullgirls' engine works.
1. Painwheel is hitting your assist.
2. You counter to freeze Painwheel, she is still hitting your assist.
3. Your counter absorbs the hit. Game goes into superfreeze.
4. Painwheel is still hitting your assist, and reads that you're inside the hitbox.
5. The game interprets this as "Painwheel is hitting you and your assist".
6. Your counter has no more hits left to absorb, you get hit.
7. Superfreeze ends, game progresses with the rest of Painwheel's super.
This happens because superfreezes are buggy, like 0-frame interactions. Counters are commonly buggy in fighting games for these reasons.

Source : Some guy who messed with mugen for 14 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mwisk
Oh man, Mugen, reminds me that I've stopped my Fatal Fury vs. Street Fighter game in the middle. I had a Rock vs. Geese intro where they both used Raging Storm, Geese's would hit Rock in the standard match start position. Lol!

I had to fix stuff like this all the time. I was more of a janitor than a creator, fixing all the unblockables, busted combos, glitchy throwing states, and derpy counters that other people made. I stopped because of AI and state limitations in the engine, so enough about mugen.

The usual solution you see in games for this issue are either: more invincibility frames on the counter (smash brothers), or your character appearing behind the enemy (JoJo) to hopefully not be hit by stuff like this. Neither of these are a perfect solution, but they are the simplest.

It's either that or program individual hit states and damage values for every single damage frame of Painwheel's super. Instead of letting the engine interpret that she's just "hitting" every animation frame.

Keep in mind that I could be totally wrong on what's causing this, and these measures may already be in place. I don't know all of the properties of Painwheel's super.