• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What motivates you?

Verdant Brave

Anti-social
Reaction score
Peacock Unknown
For the longest time, I've had trouble finding motivation to do the things I really want to do.

What gets you pumped up to do something?

Looking at the benefits.
Listening to types of music.
Pride.

To get it out the way, there's a person from my younger days I'm searching for
Honestly everyone is inspired or in this case, motivated differently
For me just the idea of seeing my creations on screen to be viewed by millions just knowing I have people who acknowledge and admire my work. Wanting fans to make fan art of my characters and speculate what happen. I want people to be inspired by work. Me personally, I don't care about money, but I want to make enough money to not have to worry financially and just focus on art

It depends on what it is: if it's homework, I usually try to remind myself that I'm not going to want to do it later.

If it's a piece of music I've been meaning to write, I tell myself that the finished version is gonna sound freaking awesome... so freaking finish it.

If it's playing a video game that was recommended to me by someone else, I am never going to get around to it. Ever.

@Verdant Brave If you don't mind my asking, is there something(s) in particular that you are having trouble motivating yourself to do?

Cartoons, bud, music, girls, food, determination and my favourite artists. Motivates me to do anything no matter what it may be. Being completely honest.
Cz-kJ4Qaxxo.maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good question...

Well, I think about the experiences that I go through both good and bad. Some other things include the people who influenced me (friends, family, etc.), people I have helped one way or the other, and seeing others putting their best efforts to achieve there goals. (Also music and games).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybermanworf
I am a self-sustaining dynamo of pure willpower.
Motivation isn't a factor. If I wanna do something, I do it.
If only I could be like you.

@Verdant Brave If you don't mind my asking, is there something(s) in particular that you are having trouble motivating yourself to do?
Basically anything drawing related. Everything I draw these days is more out of need than out of want. When I try to draw something that I want to draw, I become dissatisfied with how it looks, scrap it and draw something else real quick to put up on my tumblr before midnight in order to fulfill my one drawing a day quota.

If it makes you feel any better, doing it out of necessity will make you better much faster than doing it out of want.
I looked at your Tumblr, keep it up dawg.

Hmm... is your one drawing a day quota self instated, or is that from commissions/requests/homework for someone/something else? If it's the prior, you might benefit from taking a break from drawing for a little while, and coming back to it when you feel more motivated.

I feel like sometimes stepping away from an activity for a bit is better than trying to force yourself to do it, and getting sick of it as a result. Not drop it entirely, of course, especially if it is something you enjoy, but whatever amount of time you need to get that feeling back.

Now, I do wish to make it clear: I don't draw, I don't know everything about your one drawing a day quota, nor can I say I know for certain the source of how your feeling, so my advice may very well be completely useless. That being said, I do hope that, whatever you do, you are able to find the motivation to continue drawing, and more importantly, enjoy doing so.

Hmm... is your one drawing a day quota self instated, or is that from commissions/requests/homework for someone/something else? If it's the prior, you might benefit from taking a break from drawing for a little while, and coming back to it when you feel more motivated.
Yeah... Taking a break is probably what I need. Except I feel like I'll be committing a grievous sin if I just stop for any reason. Don't know why. My psyche is weird. Maybe I should see a shrink.

Reactions: juju_for_president
Check it again.
Here's some advice, don't do this every single day. Just do it for five days a week and leave the weekend for rest or for recreational drawing. Art is a lot like boxing, if you train seven days a week you'll become worn out and drained. Your lack of a recovery period will prevent growth, and that plateau will diminish your self-confidence.
You're working hard and that's great, but you can't worry too much about deadlines.

@Verdant Brave
Your drawings are good at least to me, instead of simply fulfilling a quota of drawing a picture why not try practicing other drawing fundamentals like perspective,shading ect. What it sounds like is you're losing interest in drawing because your not making it stimulating or challenging for your brain. Like going to the gym, if you are to do arms every Monday, the same workouts, same reps in the same order your muscles will already know you're doing them and won't develop. You have to surprise them and the same applies for art, sports, and even dating. And in addition to what Zen had said give yourself a rest day. I'll go as far to say take a break and find something else to occupy you for a little while this will refresh your mind and your interest and may even give you new ideas.

Take it from me a fellow artist and novice motivator

Everyday is a day without Annie. There is a lot wrong with this world, and I aim to fix it

Well, that fancy uber hard combo isn't gonna create itself.

The only alternative is death, and death is hella boring.

To paraphrase Rocky: it's not about winning, it's about going the distance.