• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

1,2,3 Thread!

which is the best way to play?

• Total voters

Kitsuziza

Reaction score
Steam
Illiad
Valentine Peacock
I feel that there is a very unique part of skullgirls that does not get enough discussion and that's the fact that you can play with 1,2 or 3 character's!

In this thread I want to talk about what type of team is most viable in current skullgirls. Except I'm not talking about characters per-say I'm talking about number of characters. Now I know that there will always be strong comps like solo Cerebella or Peacock and Double but I'm wondering what the general consensus is on how many characters should be played with. This includes talking about the different match ups such as 1v1, 1v2, 1v3, 2v2, 2v3, 3v3

Currently I've been playing SG on the PC under the handle Illiad I play two characters but it seems to me that the most popular setup is to play a solo character. the way I think it breaks down is this.

Using just one character and it seems pretty popular but without the ability to use an assist I can't personally recommend it. Honestly unless you understand how to pull off optimal combos consistently I think it's better to use two characters especially because mixups are easier done with an assist. Strong solo picks right now in my opinion are Cerebella and Ms fortune. Even with what I've said though we saw a solo Ms fortune make top 8 at Evo this year so it's definitely a viable way to play.

Using two characters does not seem to be as popular as using one but in general it seems to be more effective. Another reason it might not be as popular might have to do with the fact the PC version is still pretty new, in any case. Using two characters seems to be the safest way to play even if you do slip up (which can happen pretty easily in SG) you still have another character to fall back on and with two characters your dmg will always be decent. All in all it makes a lot of since to play with two characters but is it the best way to play?

Three characters is really rare online I hardly ever go against someone ballsy enough to attempt it. But when I do go against someone who uses three characters they typically know what they are doing. In a way I feel playing one character and playing three characters have a lot in common. Either way you really have to know what you are doing but I would say this is ever more so for using three characters. With three characters it's easy to die in two basic combos. you have to switch alot if you defense is not tight. All in all I would say it's the least friendly to new players. But it also might be the strongest cause some of the top players like Duckator and Severin play with three characters.

So whats your opinion if you only like one character should you be content for should you make that extra effort to learn someone new? Is playing with three characters the only real way to play? Or and you win with and comp as long as your good enough.

I'd say 2 char teams are the most efficient while 3 char teams are the most fun.

Also, an evenly matched fight between two 3-char teams is the hypest thing that can happen in the game.

Reactions: Dime
3 character teams are easily the best of the bunch. Two character teams are the easiest to play. Solos are balls.

I think 3 characters is best because of how strong assists are in this game. With 1 character you have no assist, that one's obvious. With 2 characters, you get an assist until your first character dies, and then you're playing solo. 3 characters gives you the most chances to play the game with an assist backing you up.

Reactions: blufang and DDB
As solo Filia, I have definitely been in situations where it seems nigh impossible to take out an opponent who is calling his assists smartly. Heck, I was beaten by a semi-beginner Filia + Cerecoptor the other day, and I know that character better than any other! Even though I'm sticking with my solo character team (for now), I would agree with mcpeanuts that having no assists in this game is definitely a handicap. As I've heard someone mention before, the only exception to this would be solo Fortune, since her head can pop off and give you a second attack vector to work with. Also iirc, nobody in top 32 at EVO this year played solo except KhaosMuffins... that tells you something about the viability of solo characters. Maybe there's solo tech out there that nobody's discovered yet, but for now, I'm of the opinion that 2 or 3 characters is better than solo.

As for which is superior, 2 versus 3 characters.... well, I play solo Filia, so I have no insight into that at all.

EDIT: Redacted the misinformation. Thanks to winnie / mcpeanuts for correcting me

Last edited:
I only go solo, I don't care about efficiency or optimization, it's how I enjoy playing. I don't feel too assist-less since I use Fortune and her head more than makes up for it. I just play for casual fun though.

I think zid made top 32 so thats two solo players but thats beside the point. (correct me if I'm wrong in don't remember)

The way it looks to me solo teams are best catered for beginner player mostly because they only have to use one character and don't have to learn half of the games mechanics (assists, alpha counters, and dhc's) two man teams are also strong because they have assists and good damage. I think of two man teams in the sense of SFXT where if one dies the match is pretty much over (or at least gives your opponent a big advantage) I this sense three man teams become the best option. They give you assist options and much more and if you lose a character you still have an assist to back you up. The only down side to three man teams is once your down to your last character you are very weak.

Thinking in another way you can say if you have three characters that means they need at least three combos to win.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Also iirc, nobody in top 32 at EVO this year played solo except KhaosMuffins... that tells you something about the viability of solo characters.
This isn't completely true. @Zidiane got 13th place with solo Cerebella. Mike Z also got 25th and the team he plays most often is solo Filia (although he has other teams). I'm kind of being pedantic though, your main point that solos weren't heavily represented in Evo top 32 is correct.

I'd say 2 char teams are the most efficient while 3 char teams are the most fun.

Also, an evenly matched fight between two 3-char teams is the hypest thing that can happen in the game.

This is how I feel as well. In sde it was a wrap that trios were the best... On PC though... I just can't seem to do enough damage to duos and I lose my trio damn near as quick as before... In sde:

A duo hits you as a trio and you are dead more than likely. Plus that death combo probably put you in the corner and now you have to deal with a shitty incoming mixup.

As a trio you generally need to reset once to kill the first character if its a duo character. Not to bad comparatively speaking.

Whereas on PC now it seems more like:

Duo needs to reset trio once to get a kill. Duo damage has gone down a bit.

A trio needs to reset 3-4 times to get a kill cause dhc means less now and they make little meter so they will want to conserve there meter for the kill.

Trios just seem to out damaged by duos now. I still think they are the funnest teams to use, but I don't think they are the strongest anymore. Which is a complete fucking travesty. It takes more skill to create,use, practice up, and Maintain a trio team than it does to use a duo team.

Also, duo team getting to anchor a bit faster than trio is kinda meh when duo is doing so much more damage and has so much more life to give. As far as I'm concerned there's really nothing right now that trios give that duos don't do better. I hope I'm wrong but meh, whatever.

In sde I could kill any duo off of 1 hit with a 3 man team lol
It was the coolest.

the difference being you didn't use a throw opener or reset and your series is taken out of context... but sure lets go find all the random people that have fallen 10 stories and lived and taken bullets to the head and lived to talk about it and say that that means bullets and falls from heights aren't dangerous.

im pretty sure that your the type of person that when someone says "divekicks are hard to anti air" you come up with some 5 second clip of some random AA ing a divekick and suffice that to say that divekicks are easy to AA. how about you post up that whole match series so we can see what your average reset to kill ratio is...

If it's possible to kill with one reset
- off a c.LK starter
- midscreen
- with the lowest damage character in the game
- using a non-optimized combo..
I could see "2 resets" as a number, but 4? No, really.. not.

With 2 Resets being necessary, that's 6 touches total you need to kill a Duo (Touch, Reset, Reset, Touch, Reset, Reset)
With 1 Reset being necessary to kill a Trio character, that's .. 6 Touches total (Touch, Reset, Touch, Reset, Touch, Reset)

Trios have better neutral due to more assist variety, more DHC options, are easier to regen Red Life with, etc etc

(P.S. The rest of the set is on my channel, but I don't do combos in it so you're probably not finding more of this)