• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report 9-12 Salty: Beowulf Attacks!

Flotilla

Reaction score
Big Band Big Band Big Band
beobanner.jpg

The first Salty! of September has come and gone, and with it came updates on Beowulf's development!

• Beowulf now has his first attacks! While some are untimed (j.LK, j.MP) and do not currently hit, others (c.LP, s.LP, c.HP) are now capable of dealing damage to Beo's unlucky opponent. c.HP's properties are completely different depending on whether or not Beowulf has his chair, sharing similarities to one of his gameplay inspirations, Captain America. s.LP can be held, which hints at a future yet-to-be-implemented gameplay mechanic that lead designer Mike Z says will be "an important thing".
  • An early implementation of a very unique grab; like old-school beat-em-ups, Beowulf's grab will enable him to lift his opponent and move about as they are trapped in his grasp.
  • Additional animations for intro, hitstun, blocking, pushblocking, crumple, and a temporary dash.
  • A single colored frame, lost in a sea of black and white roughs.
[prebreak]Keep reading below for videos of all of Beowulf's progress![/prebreak]

Beowulf also has his intro animation partially complete. If you've been following Lab Zero for long enough you might recognize some of the faces that appear!

Intro Poses.png

Alongside Beowulf news, new information was divulged regarding the long-prophesied Linux port of Skullgirls Encore. While the former volunteer responsible for the port is no longer on the project, another volunteer has stepped up in his place. In addition, four other volunteers have contacted Lab Zero as interested parties for the porting effort, and Mike is endeavoring to supply them all with SVN builds while putting them in contact with each other. More recently, community manager Render has started a thread detailing the current standing of the Linux port.

With Eliza's development all wrapped up and her release due in the near future, you can likely expect more information on Beowulf from here on out. To keep up on patches and recent developments, make sure to follow the Steam beta announcement feed and tune into UGClive every other Friday at 8PM PST (11PM EST).

RTpTfWE.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love Beowulf! But I don't think he has a Lariat yet, so fix that, please!

He's a Fighting Game Wrestler! It's a must!
(Or he has it and I'm an idiot!):PUN:

Also, does he have a :360: attack? Cerebella has one, but we need another, in my opinion.

But how many does street fighter have? Zangief alone outshines Skullgirls!
We must fight back! Pile drive 'em, comrades!
There's very few of them because they're a difficult input. Skullgirls only has charge motions, quarter circles, DPs and two 360s. One of the founding principles of the inputs in the game was to strip out unnecessarily difficult motions.

Gotta love Beowulf! But I don't think he has a Lariat yet, so fix that, please!

He's a Fighting Game Wrestler! It's a must!
(Or he has it and I'm an idiot!):PUN:

Also, does he have a :360: attack? Cerebella has one, but we need another, in my opinion.
Lariats: We don't know what he has, really. He'll probably have a lariat, a supplex, a drop kick, and all sorts of other stuff, but none of us know for certain which ones he's getting.

360's: Skullgirls uses qcf/qcb/srk+grab for command throws instead of 360's. I personally feel like that's a lot more natural and intuitive than 360+p/k for your grab, and then 720 for a super grab. It's also easier on newer players. 360's seem like they're reserved for supers, though.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Yo I'm so freakin' stoked for Beowulf. If things are already lookin' this sweet then I can't fucking wait for the next big Beo update!

Lariats: We don't know what he has, really. He'll probably have a lariat, a supplex, a drop kick, and all sorts of other stuff, but none of us know for certain which ones he's getting.

360's: Skullgirls uses qcf/qcb/srk+grab for command throws instead of 360's. I personally feel like that's a lot more natural and intuitive than 360+p/k for your grab, and then 720 for a super grab. It's also easier on newer players. 360's seem like they're reserved for supers, though.
I hate the imputs myself, but it's just a classic, you know?

So is Beowulf breaking the fourth wall with his intro or is there a reasonable explanation for that?

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
So is Beowulf breaking the fourth wall with his intro or is there a reasonable explanation for that?
4th wall breaking. There's no explaining away the art team being in the game. At least not one I can imagine.
Then why do his concept notes say he needs a suplex? That would hurt, and you could dislocate something!
I don't know, man. Maybe he just really likes Peanut Butter.

Reactions: gllt
There's very few of them because they're a difficult input.

it's really not tho and i'm just saying that because i want chain grabs and his final move to end in that

and i partially want beo to have an izuna

With Eliza and Beowulfs grabs, we got some serious placement set-up right there. I love it.

I love Beowulf's intro, but I 'm hoping he gets a couple other ones too. Y'know, simple ones, like him just jumping/running on to the stage or something. His breaking the fourth wall should be kinda special, and not something you expect to see all of the time.

I love Beowulf's intro, but I 'm hoping he gets a couple other ones too. Y'know, simple ones, like him just jumping/running on to the stage or something. His breaking the fourth wall should be kinda special, and not something you expect to see all of the time.
But everyone has 1 intro. His is pretty great and I like that it has different people in the background from Lab Zero.

But everyone has 1 intro.
Well technically Beowulf's already broken that rule, since he's got the different variations. I'd just like it to be a special sequence, like Karin's intro in SFA3 where she sometimes has to knock her butler out of the way.

Well technically Beowulf's already broken that rule

Not a good reason to break it further, sorry.

Reactions: agent13
Is there a clear rule that all characters must have one character intro?

As of now:

Some characters have multiple win poses while others have one.

Some characters have taunt animations while others have none.

I think at this point we are beyond worrying about keeping things in uniform at least in terms of animations distribution.

I'm fine with the 4th wall intro I agree it's a unique thing that gives me a MvC 3 Deadpool vibe. It just caught me by surprise since Beowulf didn't seem to be the Deadpool type.

Can't wait to go full fucking Saturday Night Slam Masters on asses! That beat'em up grab gives me all sorts of feels.

Reactions: Mr. X and gllt
Tradition is not an adequate reason to keep something unintuitive and unnecessary.
There's a practical point 360s and 720s in terms of other games. In SF, they're an unblockable move with excellent range and startup that does massive damage. If the input was easier, it would be pretty broken since it becomes easy to buffer and it reduces the amount of time it takes to do it by a few frames. It would make it a lot easier for Zangief to SPD Ryu's crouching forward on reaction if the input was easier and that would shift the matchup heavily in Zangief's favor.

It doesn't matter much in Skullgirls because of other design decisions.

There's a practical point 360s and 720s in terms of other games. In SF, they're an unblockable move with excellent range and startup that does massive damage. If the input was easier, it would be pretty broken since it becomes easy to buffer and it reduces the amount of time it takes to do it by a few frames. It would make it a lot easier for Zangief to SPD Ryu's crouching forward on reaction if the input was easier and that would shift the matchup heavily in Zangief's favor.

It doesn't matter much in Skullgirls because of other design decisions.
That would be amazing foresight from the SF2 dev team.

@JELIFISH19 If the devs wanted you to not be able to do the move as fast, they should have made it a frame or two slower. If SPD'ing pokes isn't a thing they wanted to happen, they should have made it not possible instead of creating an execution barrier. My point is, you've never seen a thread like this for Cerebella's Grabs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943711-street-fighter-iv/52879077
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/159103/any-tips-on-spinning-piledriver-seth
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/975212-...-360-or-720-degrees-rotations-without-jumping

And no one's ever felt the need to make a tutorial video on performing Cerebella's grabs.

The motion basically requires new players to empty jump in order to perform an SPD.

There's a whole team of Linux geeks on this that get access to le SVN.

This makes me le happy.

What I consider to be Beowulf's theme until he gets his own.
He needs to have a Rawk Hawk skin.

Been saying this ever since he won the 2nd vote
Rawk Hawk is essentially him in bird form I swear

360s are hella fun in skullgirls because of the 360 detection system, and this is coming from a zangief main.

Can I have a Rawk Hawk palette for Beowulf?

Only if the entirety of the SG community is ready to RAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWK
Now I want Horace to have it too damn it all

Reactions: Chip Blaster
im sure i recall mike z saying that they didnt want to give beo the typical grappler moveset (lariat, clothesline, powerbomb, backbreaker etc etc) have all been done a million times over so im hoping for something a bit more original with beo.

im definitely intrigued to see how his side scrolling beat em up grapple thing works out. wonder if you could set it as an assist....?

@JELIFISH19 If the devs wanted you to not be able to do the move as fast, they should have made it a frame or two slower. If SPD'ing pokes isn't a thing they wanted to happen, they should have made it not possible instead of creating an execution barrier.

The motion basically requires new players to empty jump in order to perform an SPD.
But that completely changes the character. Abel, E. Honda, and Makoto, Fei Long, Yun, and Yang have slower command grabs (not 360s) and their effectiveness is much less than other grapplers because he can be hit or thrown out of them. That's the cost of making command grabs a few frames slower. Zangief, T. Hawk, and Hakan would be the best characters in the game if standing 720s were easy. E. Honda, Guy, Balrog, and Ibuki have command grab Ultras that aren't 720s and they're not great because you can jump out of them. If you want to use command grabs and can't do 360s and 720s, there are other characters available. But you can't expect all of the pros without the cons.

And requiring new players to empty jump to perform an SPD isn't a bad thing because new players playing other characters wouldn't be able to match the damage of an SPD anyway. And there are a lot more threads made by beginners saying that grapplers are broken than threads asking how for help on how to perform them. Grapplers are known to be beginner killers in most games.

Can I have a Rawk Hawk palette for Beowulf?
I didn't know I wanted this until I read your comment.