• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel About wake-up options and ways to approach with the Wheel

Colelegante

Medici Punisher
Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/colelegante/
Painwheel
So lately I've been getting hit on wake-up with a very basic 50/50: Meaty or grab.
I'm looking ways to adress this situation but thus far, haven't really arrived to any conclusion.

Changing a bit the topic, I realised that I have become very prone to approach my enemy with j.Mp. It is indeed a great button, but I've become predictable. Is there any other tricky/useful way to approach your enemy as Painwheel? I play solo.

1. Mash out Death Crawl?

2. Ground approach behind needle projectiles? Fly (play Touhou for practice)? Learn spacing for air grabs?

Meaty / Grab can be option selected with one input sequence.

If a meaty is going to hit you on your wake up on frame 1, and a throw is going to hit you sometime after that...
All you have to do is block low on your first couple frames of waking up / gaining control, and then release crouch, (so you can tech) hit the throw input, then go back to crouch blocking.
If they meaty you or throw you on wake up you'll quickly defend against both because your throw tech wont come out if you're in blockstun.
Throws are 13F tech window so the timeline is like:

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

The red square is the frame where the meaty will connect, the green squares are the frames where you can throw tech.
Yellow is the frames after the tech window where you're too late.
So tech during the green frames.

Also, death crawl beats meaty and throw as long as the meaty isn't an air attack, or some spaced far away projectile / long hit that is disjointed.
So vs Filia IAD's Death Crawl will lose but vs Parasoul 6LP or 4HK you'll always win.

Check out the Death Crawl Hitbox to really see why it doesn't do so great vs air attacks.

Edit:
jMP is really all you need.
Once you hit them with it, you can press jHK to cancel to the attack at various points during the spin, which messes with their pushblock timing and creates different timings to continue offence.
Up closer, you can use jHK, and jMK, but usually you're using those once you're "in".

Last edited:
Reactions: Colelegante
Painwheel has 3 other buttons that are useful in the air. J.mk is quick, j.hp is great to scare your opponent and just throw out until you understand when to use it more. J.hk is more of a followup button after a block->flight cancel.

Next its not just the buttons you use, but how you use them. How to move PW is essential to how and when you land your buttons. If you have space bring out the nails and decide whether you want to go in. You don't always have to.

Reactions: Colelegante
Painwheel has 3 other buttons that are useful in the air. J.mk is quick, j.hp is great to scare your opponent and just throw out until you understand when to use it more. J.hk is more of a followup button after a block->flight cancel.

Next its not just the buttons you use, but how you use them. How to move PW is essential to how and when you land your buttons. If you have space bring out the nails and decide whether you want to go in. You don't always have to.
Meaty / Grab can be option selected with one input sequence.

If a meaty is going to hit you on your wake up on frame 1, and a throw is going to hit you sometime after that...
All you have to do is block low on your first couple frames of waking up / gaining control, and then release crouch, (so you can tech) hit the throw input, then go back to crouch blocking.
If they meaty you or throw you on wake up you'll quickly defend against both because your throw tech wont come out if you're in blockstun.
Throws are 13F tech window so the timeline is like:

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

The red square is the frame where the meaty will connect, the green squares are the frames where you can throw tech.
Yellow is the frames after the tech window where you're too late.
So tech during the green frames.

Also, death crawl beats meaty and throw as long as the meaty isn't an air attack, or some spaced far away projectile / long hit that is disjointed.
So vs Filia IAD's Death Crawl will lose but vs Parasoul 6LP or 4HK you'll always win.

Check out the Death Crawl Hitbox to really see why it doesn't do so great vs air attacks.

Edit:
jMP is really all you need.
Once you hit them with it, you can press jHK to cancel to the attack at various points during the spin, which messes with their pushblock timing and creates different timings to continue offence.
Up closer, you can use jHK, and jMK, but usually you're using those once you're "in".
Thanks so much guys! I'll jump on training mode to practice a bit :)