• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Adult Swim

Ren and Stimpy wasn't really ultraviolence though...

and I'm not counting the Spike series because didn't that come out way later?

yea the Spike series isn't real Ren and Stimpy. Okay def not Ultraviolence, but it was controversial and violent for when it came out and for being a nickelodeon show. more importantly I wanted to have something that came before south park and had violence

Metalocalypse is awesome, I honestly like how bleeps with riffs like *Guitar riff*.
My favorite episode was about banana stickers.

Don't forget Metalocalypse, Brickleberry and possibly South Park. Also, from what I've heard, Mr. Pickles is one of the most pandering shows to come out in the recent years.
Okay Brickleberry I perfectly understand, and I can't say anything about Metalocalypse because I never watched that, but South Park? Maybe at the beginning with Kenny constantly dying and all that stuff but then later episodes focused more on controversial actual manners which made the swearing and occasional blood nothing compared to them, like all the episodes about religions or wars, but they had a context after all and were executed well and most of the times in a ridiculous manner. I thought they were funny.

Pickles it's just blood and sex at random, no context whatsoever. If people like it it's their cup of tea but how can you compare it to SP?

EDIT: I think there was actually a bit of sense in early episodes of SP too since at the time it became a hit quickly instead of being dismissed by everyone as just some crude show with swearing and blood.

Luckly it was just a lot of people then they started to get used to it as the series progressed and matured. I swear I'm not a South Park fanboy

Last edited:
Metalocalypse is pretty funny, mainly because DethKlok is just a big group of idiots who just want to be brutal and make music.
like, food library and their plastic bag time machine gags are the funniest things I can think of from the show.

and I'm a South Park fanboy, but one of those people that can do extensive trivia about it. :P

Okay Brickleberry I perfectly understand, and I can't say anything about Metalocalypse because I never watched that, but South Park? Maybe at the beginning with Kenny constantly dying and all that stuff but then later episodes focused more on controversial actual manners which made the swearing and occasional blood nothing compared to them, like all the episodes about religions or wars, but they had a context after all and were executed well and most of the times in a ridiculous manner. I thought they were funny.

Pickles it's just blood and sex at random, no context whatsoever. If people like it it's their cup of tea but how can you compare it to SP?

I got that idea from Mr. Enter when he said that Mr. Pickles tries to rip off South Park, as well as his general opinion about adult cartoons: "A half-hour's worth of shock humor with some "social commentary" (supposedly in a superficial attempt to justify that shock humor and because that's what's South Park's doing nowadays so these imitators try to do the same) deliberately designed to be "edgy."" If you want more info, you can watch his reviews of Mr. Pickles and Rick & Morty.

yeah, South Park does the ultra violence nowadays, but it's really only for comedic shock, and it's in much better taste than Mr. Pickles.

Honestly I haven't seen that much ultra violence in modern South Park. Don't get me wrong, there IS but not as much as there was once (see the Imaginationland saga and that one Christmas episode with the Satanic Disney-like cute animals) and the show is still more concentrated on the topics rather than the violence. I'm talking about stuff like black fridays, the NSA, the Royal Family wedding thing, freemium apps, Scientology, abortion, Mel Gibson's The Passion, the console wars, Osama Bin Laden right after 9/11 (that was done tastefully, there's a review by the Nostalgia Critic about his 11 best SP episodes with it in it: you'll see what I mean), people that deny about the Holocaust, Al Gore, Michael Jackson, dead stars, celebrities' photoshopped images...

I think there's more but that's just everything I can remember of.

Anyway all this stuff is taken into satire in different ways, not just blood and sex. It ranges from "Holy Mary is bleeding from her anus" (now rarely) to "Osama has farty pants and acts like a goof from the Looney Tunes".

I'm sorry if I sounded upset, I don't want to start a flame here, but hearing someone saying that if Mr Pickles is bad because of ultraviolence then South Park must be too seems just a bit superficial.

After watching a ton of ATHF, I mildly regret not having cable for years, but at the same time, it's cancelled now so...