• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Bad Habits

DARKNESSxEAGLE

Master of Disguise
Reaction score
Steam
DixiE
PSN
DARKNESSxEAGLE
Filia Cerebella Ms. Fortune
I'm sure I can't be the only one who is in the habit of doing stupid things and knowing I should stop, such as
  • Using Squigly's s.MK in combos instead of c.MK (s.MK whiffs a lot)
  • Spamming gunsword in corner with Peacock
  • HK Teleporting with Peacock
  • Not mashing super during opponent's combos
  • Throwing out an assist and then standing around doing nothing
  • Continuing a combo off of super sing with Squigly's s.LP
  • Reflecting randomly with Bella against Parasouls and Peacocks
  • Not using Ultimate Showstopper with Bella
  • Spamming HK Fiber Upper against players who know what it is
  • Going for unsafe resets against constant Gregor mashers (feels like glory when I succeed though)
  • Air grab all day
Anyway, enough about me, what about you?
That sounded better in my head

Reactions: gllt
I constantly fail to block during multihit overheads (val j.MP, filia j.MP, pw j.HK, etc) because I always go into low block too early, getting me hit by the last part of it.

I only think its a bad habit if your opponent starts to expose it a bit.

For me:

I upback to much
I pushblock to much
I spam assist to much
In certain situations I mash throw waaaay to much.

Panic spamming Daisy Pusher. I have half figured out where people usually drop their combos and tend to spam it when the combo is in those points, but it tends to backfire. A lot.

Yeah, I figured out that people trying to mash super to punish my buer combo drop, and I just don't follow in drop-dangerous places, so I can reset after they miss their super.

From my side:
- do not follow with buer when opponent is blocking;
- j.HP armor do not work vs Squigly's j.HP, and fly also almost always unsafe;
- blockpushing vs multihiting moves;

I have a bad muscle memory habit of ending ground strings with Hairballs.

I still try and crouch tech sometimes...

j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge
j.HP armor charge

Even if I am playing against Keep-Away, and even though I always play rush-down characters, I almost always start a fight by moving away from the opponent, and than wait for an opening. I like starting with a mid-screen game, even though I'm never using characters who are supposed to.

Edit: I also push-block waaaaay too much.

I like to jump over opponents with peacock into her dash and hold the forward button to watch her run at in corner of the screen. I also like to use Devil Horns after every successful Diamond Deflector. Honestly I have the bad habit of doing things just to watch the animations. Playing Squigly and Big Band is only gonna make it worst

This is a bad habit?

Very.

Using it sparingly to stay spicy is great, but I (and other Painwheels I've noticed) will often crutch on it and do it compulsively without really thinking twice.

There are too many multi-hitting air buttons on other characters, air throws are rewarding and fast, and there's an abundance of ground-to-air moves/assists that will wreck it. The time in flight is cool for mobility, but you can't block, and I think I get a little too reckless/high on a single hit of flight cancellable armor.

start the match -> jump back -> starts to think what to do.

in EVERY SINGLE FIGHTING GAME.

weird ways to deal with anxiety

I tend to throw out a cr. HK (slide kick) at the start of the match since I like fighting dirty. It actually works half the time so it just encourages me to keep doing it every so often.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who is in the habit of doing stupid things and knowing I should stop, such as
  • Using Squigly's s.MK in combos instead of c.MK (s.MK whiffs a lot)
Screw the existence of that move.

My main one is upback.

I also try to reset Fillia standing far too much.

Very.
Haha, so, I'm not alone feel like this. And Squigly is first character who forcing to think soberly. In 1v1 she is worst.

Me too. Throw out fortune fiber upper assist, and jump back. usually not good for my fortune.

Me too. Throw out fortune fiber upper assist, and jump back. usually not good for my fortune.
I don't think there is something bad. There is only two ways: or you're trying to counter-hit opponent's first move ("who hit first/faster") or dash back and start to play neutral. When you trying to get first hit there is 1/3 chance of success and 1/3 to be punished ( 1) you counterted first move, 2) your opponend used dash back, 3) your opponent countered your move). Better to dash back if you don't want to test your luck.

You'll run into a Squigly that'll start with SBO > Stance Charge soon enough.

1. Not using the training room. The bnbs are baby combos I put together from playing matches, but they are sloppy, inefficient and low damage (relative to this game). Have to learn good resets too.

2. Not focusing enough on Squigly. Since Big Band and Elisa will make up the rest of my team I shouldn't waste effort on Fortune and Parasoul who I currently use.

Trying to play every characters besides Painwheel in the game.
Not calling assist just because the other guy isn't calling it.

Pressing buttons when I'm not supposed to and not pressing buttons when I should.

Reactions: Barrogh and Hilary
Open her up, land on the floor, everybody gettin' nommed and sore.

I go completely brain dead once I'm in the air. air combos are my greatest weakness and I have the worst habit of screwing them up.

i try to bait my opponent into overcommitting on their offense too much instead of relying on offense of my own :S

Crouch blocking when my opponent is in the air, especially if I just dropped my combo and left them there.

Calling Parasoul's Napalm Pillar assist to much.

jumping like crazy
thinking i can anti air every jump attacks, even against filia or valentine
commiting all my brain power trying to find an explanation to anything weird that happens in a match, DURING the match (and asking my opponent his thoughts on it, even if he doesn't care and if it's the 5th time I do that)

Reactions: Kaname-madoki
Thanks to Melty Blood, every time I start an air combo I always start with a light attack when I know that it doesn't call for it. So I tend to drop it most of the time and then I cry and lock myself in the closet.

Far too many to list, but the ones I struggle the most to suppress:

- Brain being "offline" most of the time. This is the problem of having played vs AIs for too long; I don't consider both my actions and the opponent's. Been getting better at that but still need to get steamrolled a bunch of times to figure what I'm doing wrong/falling for.

- Not being able to balance offense and defense. I play defensively and always tend to wait to see what the opponent does in hopes of capitalizing on a opening BUT I don't balance that with offense so I literally hand over the pace of the match to the opponent.

- ...and when I do get an opening, I waste it on something really stupid, like Parasoul kick chain to Sniper Shot. =A=

- Really poor assist calls. "Please, kill my other character. No no, I insist."

- (tied to defensive play) Jump-back way too much. Eat throws and lows because of that. Made worst when I know I shouldn't do that.

i try to bait my opponent into overcommitting on their offense too much instead of relying on offense of my own :S

Agree to disagree. <3

chicken blocking
forgetting to use combos I practiced in training mode when I finally get the opportunity
using my baby combos so much that I forget the better ones after awhile
focusing on using one character over the other

-Trying to do long combos on the ground against a Cerebella with meter.
-Rushing down with Squigly instead of using her attacks meant for controlling space.
-Calling assists when I'm nowhere near the opponent.
-Trying to jump-in on Val off the draw.