• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Because the first step to being accountable is to write it down..

ngelicdark

Reaction score
Steam
HelloSunglassKitty
Painwheel Filia
Hi, I'm ngelicdark, IGN: SunglassKitty:

I've had problems holding motivation for devoting time to fighting games as opposed to everything else in life, so I figured the best way to keep myself into something is to a) get to know the community and b) write it down for the public (that bothers to even read this part of the forum) to see it.

Anyways cutting to the chase because I don't want to play this out like it's some kind of diary. I find it more like a log to know where I stand; like writing down what sets and weight I do when I lift. Makes it feel good when I know how much I've improved because I know I won't have these problems anymore.

Picking off where I was at a few months ago before I dropped the game for P4 Arena and to try out SFIV:AE (and then finding out I hate unblockables, I hate infinites, I hate loops, and I hate finnicky timing because I don't have the patience for it):

I have Painwheel and Filia. Still deciding on the second char; Filia will be anchor, PW will be point because I love her, and I chose her over Valentine. (My namesake or my profession? SOLD!) I'll bother to figure out my second after I can play two characters.

PW:

• Need to pick up a new combo now that undizzy has finally come in. I don't see it really affecting my PW combos as much; need to find out if my Buers are resetting somehow or they're just starting on a lower undizzy stage than my j. MP with Filia. Picked up a tentative combo chunk from Magicman, looked at krackatoa's. Need to choose one midscreen, throw, and a corner combo. Still need to break it down in practice mode so that I can learn it over a few days.
  • Need to flight cancel properly: this includes after throwing spikes, after buers, after mid air buers, and after super jumps. This applies especially to the L Buer - FC, 3j.LK link. I can only do it if I'm not holding down forward; otherwise the LK never comes out.
  • Do more super jump FCs in actual matches. I don't do it enough.
  • Need to analyze more matches on how to approach with PW. Flying forward feels slow now....

Filia:

• IAD more fluidly. I lost my touch for doing it. Especially in live matches not against my usual AI punching bags. Now instead of IADing, I jump. And then get stuffed in the face. And I was doing the PP shortcut...
  • Learn to approach also with air hairball and with slide. They're useful tools that I don't use.
  • Double that for ringlet spikes. Don't even use them at all. Combos or otherwise.
  • Need to learn better corner combos and throw combos. My old midscreen combo now undizzies after maybe the 3rd chunk. At least they're carried to the corner now.

General Stuff:

• Learn to use assists. Seriously. Updo in the back and yet I call on her maybe once or twice while PW is out. That is kind of dumb.
  • Find other people who body me in lobbies and friend them on Steam so that I can be bothered and reminded to play SG.
  • Find people willing to meet up and play SG in the city. Though I think NYC is more of a SF/MVC3 crowd because of Team Spooky.
  • Stalk more twitch streams. Think about actually setting up a regular stream.
  • Try to fit SG into life when school starts. Between classes, homework and hitting the gym..this is going to be kind of hard....
  • Have fun!

Looks like you've got a solid plan so I'm just going to sit back and provide emotional support when needed

*sits back and sips away at an iced tea* Keep up the good work. Feel the burn!

Good luck man! o/

There are a bunch of good players in NYC area. Just no physical space for the gatherings to happen constantly. But the NYC crew should give NL another shot in the near future.