• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cerebella Cerebella's sMK start up hurtboxes appear to be misplaced

Stuff

The guy who says the thing you might not like
Reaction score
xXXSnxe.png

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way but there are no animations in the attack that would make me think so.

Reactions: Flotilla
Uneducated guess: It looks like maybe it's the hurtboxes for a later part of the frame. But there, yeah, that doesn't look ight.

But she clearly leans forward in the whole animation. Never back.

Feel free to look yourself.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to get insight from the guy himself but I usually like to sort out that this is indeed messed up before pinging.

Since the Character Point and the Collision Box stay at the same place (meaning the boxes aren't glitching to the side), I'm going to bet that the hurtboxes are intentional. If I were to guess at why it's like that, I'd say the boxes are to match the previous and subsequent frame, so instead of her being forward one frame (which would potentially avoid an attacks she doesn't look like she should avoid) it keeps her at roughly the same place the whole startup.

I've heard Mike mention that the models in some 3D fighting games have their boxes attached to the models, so they end up avoiding or missing moves they shouldn't at certain moments. I remember he gave an example involving Zangief in SF4, but can't remember exactly what it was; something about a move comboing properly only if Zangief was in a hitstun from a low attack but avoiding it if he was reeling back from a high attack I think.

Last edited:
Is that so? Fighters are something I'll never understand then.

This thing you're looking at is only weird if you look at the game frame by frame with hitboxes on, and otherwise in normal gameplay it doesn't register to either player. Hitboxes aren't for everyone to understand, though, and hell, I rarely even think about them (other than "which one has invincibility"). Maybe this is one reason why the rest of the companies don't include them, though, cause knowing the character isn't where they look like they are on key frames weirds people out.

Zidiane might be right. He also might be wrong.

A possibility that caused this is that the original move had Bella move backwards on frame 1 (so she'd be where the hurtboxes are now), but that turned out to look glitchy since she teleports back too fast too early (and eg negative edge MK-Run started from way too far behind, something something), so her model was moved forward while keeping the hitboxes at the original location to not cause unwanted stuff to happen.

Another possibility is that something is wrong here and it's an oversight.

Really, only Mike will be able to tell you. Feel free to ping, imo.

My bad. Read the thread as cmk startup, which is what it looks more like.

Well I guess it can't hurt too much.
Mike_Z
Maybe I'll learn something cool