• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cinematic Lv. 5 Blockbuster Attacks

the_rpg_king

Maid of Justice
Reaction score
Steam
KnockDownJoe
PSN
rpgking20
Unknown Robo Fortune Double
Since we are getting future Skullgirls content, I just thought that it would be awesome and cooler if they implement the cinematic Them's FIghtin' Herds-style Lv. 5 Blockbuster Attacks to Skullgirls to make it much more anime and to spice up the ongoing Skullgirls Launch Party that can deal a devastating amount of damage and can be used anytime. It's not only because Them's FIghtin' Herds is getting them. It's also because it would be cooler if Skullgirls get them. Squigly already has one, so she gets a pass.

Skullgirls has lively and awesome things that met my expectations like the effect for when you KO an opponent with a Blockbuster Attack, Blockbuster Attack cutouts, the music that plays during the double snap and death yells that trigger when you KO an opponent in the air or with a knockback attack. So I thought of something even cooler to be added to Skullgirls; the cinematic lv. 5 Blockbuster Attacks that can spend all five bars of your Dramatic Tension gauge and some of them are inspired by other fighting games. They won't work if it hits an assist character and during the Marie boss fight.

There is a sigil animation that pops up and a curtain call post-cinematic that plays when you KO a character with a cinematic lv. 5 Blockbuster while on match point on solos and when there is one more character left on their team, like in Soul Calibur VI where if you KO a character with a Critical Edge, the post-cinematic plays and you're doing the big finale to end the show with a huge bang. Now, Skullgirls' gameplay mimics the show, right? Each show needs a finale to end it off with a bang and that's what they are gonna be called; Blockbuster Finales/Ultimates. They can end the show with a bang and wouldn't that be awesome?

Here is a list of playable characters with their Blockbuster Finales/Ultimates I want. I will update this list once I think of one.

Samson sucks his opponent into his mouth on Filia's hair. When it connects, Samson's teeth grinds the opponent, followed by a series of claw attacks. (Inspired by Carl Clover's Astral Heat in BlazBlue)
Cerebella charges at her opponent with Battle Butt. When it connects, Cerebella grabs, juggles and puts a huge slam on her opponent down to the ground.
Peacock takes out her bag and stuffs her opponent in. When it connects, Peacock throws her opponent inside a bag in a rocket, she uses her cigar to light up the stem and the rocket travels upward and it explodes in the night sky. When it kills, the constellation of the opponent's head displays while on match point in solos and when there is one character left in their team. (Inspired by Teddie's Instant Kill in Persona 4 Arena)
Parasoul shoots a portal from Krieg that sucks her opponent. When it connects, Parasoul and her Egret soldiers band together to charge and shoot beams at her opponent. (Inspired by Mega Man's Final Smash in Smash Ultimate)
Ms. Fortune's head makes a diversion. When the opponent hits her head, she makes a furious face and a headless Ms. Fortune unleashes a flurry of claw attacks against her opponent. Must be headless. (Inspired by Pom's Lv. 3 Super in Them's Fightin' Herds)
Painwheel dashes at her opponent. When it connects, a series of Gae Bolga spikes and blades pops up on the screen, shredding her opponent. Requires Hatred Install and four bars of your Dramatic Tension gauge.
Double transforms into a monster with a giant mouth. When it connects, the opponent is sent into Gehenna and Double in monster form devours her opponent.
Eliza calls Albus and Horus dropping while holding a sarcophagus that sucks her opponent in. When it connects, the sarcophagus sucks the opponent inside. Eliza chills while Albus and Horus comfort her while a series of blood drops rains on her opponent with a huge drop at the end.
Beowulf drinks from the milk carton and performs an upward lunge. When it connects, Beowulf makes subsequent upward lunges that leave wolf heads with the first upward lunge after connecting it and the third upward lunge sends his opponent all the way up on top of the screen and he jumps very high and the moon in the background appears and goes in for the huge cannonball. Requires three levels of Hype.
Sagan transforms into an orb and donates it to Annie. She transforms and sticks her golden sword down to the ground to execute Pillars of Creation. When it connects, Annie flies into outer space, points her sword down, charges and shoots a giant beam downward at her opponent from above. Also requires Star Power and must have three bars of your Dramatic Tension gauge. (Inspired by Yu Narukami's Instant Kill in Persona 4 Arena)
Hungern transforms and sticks its tongue out to grab its opponents. When it connects, the opponent is inside Hungern and the digestive acids rain down on them. If it kills an opponent, they will be swallowed and the fullness meter will increase up to the Overstuffed level. Hungern must be at least Ravenous.
Black Dahlia flourishes her cape against her opponent. When it connects, the screen fades, the opponent's silhouette appears and a series of attacks flow from her three bunny minions and Black Dahlia ends it with bang, making the screen appear instantly. (Inspired by Meta Knight's Final Smash in Super Smash Flash 2)
Marie unleashes her boss form and calls forth a giant skeleton arm from the ground. When it connects, the arm grabs the opponent, sends them down to Final Atrium and she calls her skeletal minions to come and grab the opponent and Hilgard shoots a giant beam to end it.

Last edited:
Peacock: Bang! Zoom! Straight To The Moon! Peacock grabs the opponent and stuffs them into a comically large cannon packed full of all kinds of explosives. She lights the fuse with her cigar and plugs her ears as they're literally blasted into outer space, complete with a twinkle in the sky (and possibly a constellation of the character), before coming back down like a falling star, unless the move ends the match, in which case they remain a twinkle/constellation.

Last edited:
Peacock: Bang! Zoom! Straight To The Moon! Peacock grabs the opponent and stuffs them into a comically large cannon packed full of all kinds of explosives. She lights the fuse with her cigar and plugs her ears as they're literally blasted into outer space, complete with a twinkle in the sky and possibly a constellation of the character), before coming back down like a falling star.
Great idea for Peacock's Lv. 5 Blockbuster. I agree with this.

Thanks. Out of curiosity what do you like about it? I like yours as well.
It's amazing. Your idea of Peacock's Lv. 5 Blockbuster is similar to Teddie's. I'll update the OP, but I'm gonna simplify it. I am glad you liked my ideas, even though I have the characters that are not yet playable on my wish list.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is a good idea from a balance stand point and personally I wouldn't want to watch a whole cinematic (though I will admit mvc3's cinematics are pretty hype) Also it might be expensive

Here's an idea for Eliza:

Horus and Albus put you in a sarcophagus which drains the opponents blood and it floats in the middle of the screen then explodes in blood droplets which heal eliza the sarcophagus lands and on kill opens revealing a mummy hand.

idk how cinematic that is but I think it'd be cool to rain blood droplets

Maybe eliza can be chilling in shades on her chaise with albus and horus fanning her while the blood droplets rain

EDIT:

Ms Fortune could probably have a cinematic similar to Young Joseph from jjba hftf

Where it's just memories flashing and it can end in a 5th of dismember type attack

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is a good idea from a balance stand point and personally I wouldn't want to watch a whole cinematic (though I will admit mvc3's cinematics are pretty hype) Also it might be expensive

Here's an idea for Eliza:

Horus and Albus put you in a sarcophagus which drains the opponents blood and it floats in the middle of the screen then explodes in blood droplets which heal eliza the sarcophagus lands and on kill opens revealing a mummy hand.

idk how cinematic that is but I think it'd be cool to rain blood droplets

Maybe eliza can be chilling in shades on her chaise with albus and horus fanning her while the blood droplets rain
Excellent idea for Eliza's cinematic Lv. 5 Blockbuster Attack. I'll update the OP. Also, it's true that it might be expensive to implement them, but it would be amazing for Skullgirls to have them since Them's Fightin' Herds is getting the cinematic lv. 3 supers in 3.0 and they can make the game much more hype.

I agree that it would be a very nice addition I definitely wouldn't turn them down if they happened that's for sure

I really want everyone to have a level 5, but I'm not sure they specifically need to be cinematics.

Reactions: Holy Goose
Yeah, idk if giving everyone a Level 5 is really a great idea balance-wise. Maybe some of the older characters could use more supers to bring them more in-line with the standard of newer characters, but I don't think giving everyone Level 5s across the board is a good solution.

In any case, we already have a lot of supers that are kinda cinematic anyway. Off the top of my head, Bella's Ultimate Showstopper (which Arizona's Level 3 looks almost identical to lol), Peacock's Goodfellows, Val's Dead on Arrival, etc. Instead of adding new supers maybe those existing supers could be brushed up to give them more oomph, especially now that the game has abandoned the older systems like PS3 and 360s and larger resolution effects could be used, or ulitise camera effects like TFH's Level 3s.

I wasn't a big fan when the game started making more "cinematic" changes like blockbuster character portraits and KO yells, cinematic supers would just be another thing potentially slowing the game down.

To be honest, I wanted the cinematic lv. 5 Blockbusters to be implemented to Skullgirls because not only since Them's Fightin' Herds is getting the cinematic lv. 3 supers. It's also because they are gonna make the game much more hype and to spice up the ongoing Skullgirls Launch Party even more as a celebration for the employees who left Lab Zero for escaping from the turmoil. I even thought of one for Umbrella.

It's also because they are gonna make the game much more hype
Cinematic attacks have been a trend in fighting games for a while now, and I don't this train of thought really bears out anymore. You could look at a lot of games where specific cinematic attacks just become infamous because they're cinematic and end up being a net negative on the game experience as a result. SkullGirls already skews pretty close to that territory with Double's level 3, so adding extreme variations of that probably isn't a good time investment. SkullGirls was already pitched as a game for hardcore fighting game players, and the lack of "cinematic attacks" fits right into this framework.

I think "cinematic" supers in itself is fine. A super can look as pretty as it likes (as long as it's not an eyestrain, like having excessively flashing lights, fast camera zooms, etc.), but yeah, we should not be adding "longer" supers. There's a reason the animation in Val's Level 3 is skippable - actual players want shorter supers, not longer ones.

At least with level 5s you won't see them very often. The problem with cinematic supers is seeing them over and over and over and over, but they can be fine if they're rare, which level 5s are.

At least with level 5s you won't see them very often. The problem with cinematic supers is seeing them over and over and over and over, but they can be fine if they're rare, which level 5s are.
True but asking the devs to go add cinematic level 5s (that would cost more resources than normal ones) to old characters that you barely use just doesn't seem such a great idea. If the devs should do something for old characters it should be something actually important or useful rather than meme level 5s that we'd see once.

Or they can be used to KO a character.