• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Coming Across New Players These Days...

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
I believe in trial by fire. Period. But I also understand I see fighting games as part of life itself sooo yeah...

But many others dont...and I gotta say i feel TERRIBLE when just beating down on a beginner, not really noticing they're one until they finally get a breath from being knocked far screen. After realizing i usually pick a character im not as good with but maybe practising here & there...but rarely happens because people understandably just straight up leave or often ragequit & dc mid-match. If there was a beginner tag aside someones ping, i honesttttly think it'd help the game a ton for those beginners. Again you could say 'too bad, deal with it' which is technically fair. But it's definitely not fun if you're not hardcore.

I'd much rather pick a different character from the beginning instead of being 'that guy' to whoever is just trying to chill on a day like the holidays & not get murdered by some w/a shameful amount of hours played.

Idk what the hour cap for beginner is -- 50, 75, 100...idk. But i hate to see people get needlessly discouraged. maybe soon can talk more about features serving various segments of the community. Or like a couple people mentioned, a health/damage handicap *option* so you don't have to necessarily hold back. Just something. 1/3 normal undizzy limit & resets or combos much more scaled, theres a bunch of ways im sure. Most people who has this happen dont talk about it, they just quit. We hear the vocal minority loud & clear sometimes, but damn. Seeing that SG will only grow w/umbrella, new changes, characters & features, i see this as something not to be ignored.

And beginners could decide to have the tag or not. An option, not mandatory for anyone on either side, but the ability to engage with certain new players in a more regulated way would be nice. As a semi-hardcore player I dont wanna baby anyone, but a ragequit like that really does not feel good.

Got ok tutorials but if our matching system isn't necessarily that kind, something should be done imo
rough Idea on a specific beginner mode: https://skullheart.com/threads/feature-suggestions.11590/post-413132

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
Maybe a match count for people you meet on quick match? Not a perfect system but it could give an idea whether you are fighting with a new player or a veteran when going into a match. Not win/loss counts though cause that's just gonna encourage nonsense like disconnecting to preserve your win/loss ratio.

Reactions: Bbp and Nuuance
But many others dont...and I gotta say i feel TERRIBLE when just beating down on a beginner, not really noticing they're one until they finally get a breath from being knocked far screen.
As someone coming from a kinda-beginner perspective, you’re my hero lmao. When I played Third Strike Online I kinda thought people kinda just murdered me with no remorse (which in all fairness is probably what they do) but at least you can see where i’m coming from.