• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Complete beginner to fighting games and skullgirls here. Looking for some help please.

Alpexx99

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm completely new to fighimg games as I said in the title. I was hoping for some advice regarding the game in general and some controller setup.

Firstly I have been using an xbox 360 pad and I have gone through some of the tutorials. Some of the problems I have had are with:
  • The set up of the controls. I've noticed that a lot of moves require you to press two buttons at once. Is this normal for fighing games as I am finding it ifficult to do this as I always end up pressing one just slightly after the other?
  • What would you recommend for a set up on the controller that is the most user friendly?
  • I also feel like the 360 controller isn't the best for fighting games for the reason I said above. I'm not currently willing to invest in an expensive fightstick but are there any other controllers you recommend which will be better for fighting games?
  • I'm also getting frustrated with trying to do the combos shown in the tutorial. I have to think a lot about the buttons before I press them. Is this normal? And when I'm in a cpu match I end up panicking and mashing the buttons instead.
  • I was also wondering what the best character for me to start learning should be. I'd like to play Valentine but if she is one of the harder characters I wouldn't mind switching to someone else. Any recommendations?
That's all guys. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help.

I also feel like the 360 controller isn't the best for fighting games for the reason I said above. I'm not currently willing to invest in an expensive fightstick but are there any other controllers you recommend which will be better for fighting games?
There are 2 macro buttons available for you to set~
Pressing these macro buttons is equivalent to pressing multiple buttons (Again, you have to manually set it)
I recommend setting one with 2 punches and 2 kicks. Pressing multiple punches let's you dash rather than having to double tap a direction. + you now have easy access to supers.
For assists... just turn on right-stick assist. As the name implies, moving the right stick up or down will use your assist.
Regarding grabs and character switching, I find that laying your thumb over the 2 buttons works well enough.

Also, I personally use a ps3 controller (analog stick) and I'm not sure about the xbox controller but I heard the analog isn't exactly ideal... D-pad is the way to go, I think. A stick is a really expensive investment so I suggest maybe finding someone with a stick you can try out?
I'm also getting frustrated with trying to do the combos shown in the tutorial. I have to think a lot about the buttons before I press them. Is this normal? And when I'm in a cpu match I end up panicking and mashing the buttons instead.
I think this is normal?
When it comes to learning combos break them down into "chunks."
So a normal (This combo probably doesn't exist, it's for example) combo will be annotated as such:
cr.lk cr.mk st.hp
j.lp j.lk j.mk
st.lp cr.mk st.hk
[4]6 hp
Just focus on one string until you get it down then focus on the next string.
Just keep grinding the combos!
Also, in case that you don't know notations...
buttons:
Light Punch = lp
Medium Punch = mp
Hard Punch = hp
Light Kick = lk
Medium Kick = mk
Hard Kick = hk
Punch = p
Kick = k
-----
Motions:
Quarter Circle Forward = qcf
Quarter Circle Back = qcb
Dragon Punch = dp

Numpad Notations:
- Usually people tend to annotate motions in what is creatively called "numpad notations"
It's very simple, just look at your numpad:
They just substitute for directions.
5 is neutral, 6 is forward, 4 is backwards, etc.
They are used for motions too:
qcf = 236
qcb = 214
dpf = 623
dpb = 421
> When it's written as such: [4]6 or [2]8 it refers to a "charge" which is basically holding one direction (the one in the brackets) then moving to the non-bracket direction and pressing a button. [4]6 is a back-forward charge, [2]8 is a down-up charge.
> When something has "xx" before it, it means you cancel a move to do that move.

Usually people just use move names for specials so don't forget to remember those!
I was also wondering what the best character for me to start learning should be. I'd like to play Valentine but if she is one of the harder characters I wouldn't mind switching to someone else. Any recommendations?
I honestly wouldn't recommend Val...
When I think "easy" characters for beginners I usually think of Big Band.
I think Big Band is overall the easiest character to play. Combos are pretty easy(?) and damage is high even for simple combos. He has some problems because he's really big but a lot of his problems are easily supplemented by the appropriate assist. (You'll get a feel of what you need to supplement once you start playing)
He's a charge character though and I heard people have trouble with that? SG was my first ever fighter too but I found him to be perfect~
If you do decide to play Band, here's some tips:
> Having problem with doing charges? You can do a back-dash and once it starts you can do your charge. (My case anyways... I found it to be the perfect tool for nailing down charge timings)
> Here's a super basic combo that I still use, it's got decent damage and lets you do a hard-knockdown:
cr.lk cr.mk st.hp
j.lp j.lk j.mk
st.lp(or cr.lk, not sure if cr.lk works) cr.mk st.hp
j.mp j.hp
xx H Cymbal (214 hk)
(At this point you have 3 options)

1 - st.mk(1) xxH Brass([4]6 hp) xxSSJ (236pp)
- Gives hard knockdown if you don't cancel into SSJ
- "What does st.mk(1) mean? do I have to hold down-back as per numpad notations?)" I think it's only me, but when I put it infront of the button instead of before I indicate how many times it should hit. In this case, since you can press st.mk twice I mean for you to only press it once. If it's a multi hitting move, let's say j.lk, it also means how many times you should hit. so if it says j.lk(2) j.mk you hit 2 hits from j.lk and cancel it into j.mk before it does the 3rd.
- ST.MK IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HIT. "Then why do I have to do it?" It moves you forward so that your H-Brass can hit. Not necessary for larger characters.

2 - land, xxH A-train([4]6) xxSSJ
- Only works on heavier characters
- Gives hard knockdown if you don't cancel into SSJ
- I'm not sure how this compares to option 1, but I prefer to do it when I can??
- Works on everyone in corner, not sure why you wouldn't do option 3 instead

3 - dash forward, cr.lk cr.mp(2) (4)st.hk xxH A-train xxSSJ
- Only when opponent is in or near corner.
- Highest damage of all 3 options
- If you time your cr.lk right you will conserve otg and get a hard knockdown, again if you don't cancel into SSJ
- "otg?' Stands for "off the ground" basically when the opponent falls on the ground during the combo there's this sorta flash. A red flash means you can hit them and "pick them off the ground" and continue the combo, a blue flash means they can tech out. You only have one otg per combo and opponents can tech out off hard knockdowns when you've already used your otg.
- "(4)st.hk?" For BB combos that require st.hk into a charge move (brass or a-train) I prefer to hold 4, or back, during st.hk to get my charge.

This combo works on everyone everywhere.
It does decent damage and is overall just decent.

Hi guys. I'm completely new to fighimg games as I said in the title. I was hoping for some advice regarding the game in general and some controller setup.

Firstly I have been using an xbox 360 pad and I have gone through some of the tutorials. Some of the problems I have had are with:
  • The set up of the controls. I've noticed that a lot of moves require you to press two buttons at once. Is this normal for fighing games as I am finding it ifficult to do this as I always end up pressing one just slightly after the other?
  • What would you recommend for a set up on the controller that is the most user friendly?
  • I also feel like the 360 controller isn't the best for fighting games for the reason I said above. I'm not currently willing to invest in an expensive fightstick but are there any other controllers you recommend which will be better for fighting games?
  • I'm also getting frustrated with trying to do the combos shown in the tutorial. I have to think a lot about the buttons before I press them. Is this normal? And when I'm in a cpu match I end up panicking and mashing the buttons instead.
  • I was also wondering what the best character for me to start learning should be. I'd like to play Valentine but if she is one of the harder characters I wouldn't mind switching to someone else. Any recommendations?
That's all guys. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help.

Welcome on the forum Alpexx99! I hope you're gonna have a great time with the game.

I can give you my take on your question too. I'm playing this game since roughly six months and at the beginning I had similar concerns. The difficulties you're finding are completely normal. Just stick with it and you'll see that it will help you playing other fighting games too (SFV, GG, ...).
More in details:
  • The standard XBox360 controller works completely fine. At the moment, I guess that the problem is in your hand and not in your controller. Changing it won't do that much good. In case, after some time, you'll feel attracted to a stick or an hitbox or whatever you could certainly try it, but, since it is your first fighting, game I won't suggest you to do that.
  • The setup I suggest is the standard one, i.e. X, Y, R1 for punches, A, B, R2 for kicks and L1 / L2 for assist call.
  • If this is your first fighting game, do not be obsessed in doing combos. Without them you can easily finish the game on normal mode. Try instead to try different character and find someone you like to play with. Get good with basic stuff: quarter circle motions, charge motions, etc...
  • Find some friend at your level to play with.
  • Keep trying the tutorial every now and then, you'll see that after a while it will become easy.
  • Regarding Val I don't know if it is a beginner character or not, but I guess you're slightly over planning. It is just a game, take the character you like. Worst case scenario it will take you some more time to get good with it.
Have a great day

Last edited:
There are 2 macro buttons available for you to set~
Pressing these macro buttons is equivalent to pressing multiple buttons (Again, you have to manually set it)
I recommend setting one with 2 punches and 2 kicks. Pressing multiple punches let's you dash rather than having to double tap a direction. + you now have easy access to supers.

Sorry but do you mean to set macro 1 as 2 punches and macro 2 as 2 kicks?

If you're willing to invest in a new controller, I would recommend the Hori Fighting Commander 4. Depending on what country you live in it sells for $25 - $45 (look it up on Amazon). The six button layout makes more sense for a 6-button fighting game, and it's designed so that you can use a claw grip if you want. The face buttons are larger and closer together than on a standard controller, and I find it pretty easy to hit two buttons at once with my thumb.

There are no analog sticks though (which you won't use anyway, unless you do r-stick assists), so it is a fighting game only controller. Also, if you change the macros to two punches or two kicks (which I personally wouldn't recommend, depending on which character you are playing. For, example, Squigly's special change depending on which two punches you use), then it would be easier to manually call assists with hp and hk mapped to shoulder buttons than if they were face buttons.

Also, don't think too much about starting characters. Learning other characters won't necessarily make learning Val any easier, so if you want to play her eventually you should just start with her.

Hope this helps.

If you're completely new to fighting games a lot of the input stuff will take some getting used to, just give it time. I think only throws and supers require 2 button inputs but you will have to eventually press buttons with relatively specific timing for combos, etc. and unfortunately the only way to get better at it is to just practice. As far as controller setups, most pad players (myself included) play with the default setup: X, Y, R1 for punches, A, B, R2 for kicks and L1 / L2 for macros (which usually end up being assist calls).

There are plenty of players who use the 360 controller, and your execution problems are probably not due to your controller. That said, I do agree that the 360 pad isn't as good as other options for fighting games. If you're playing on 360 then idk what options you have but if you are on PC or PS3/PS4 then you have a lot of different choices available to you. Most pad players use i think the dualshock 3/dualshock 4 (aka the default playstation controllers), but a good number of people use 3rd party pads (I personally use the Logitech F310). The Hori Fighting Commander isn't bad but if you don't want to use the 6-button layout then its (at least in my opinion) a bit of a stretch from the 4 "standard" face buttons to the R1/R2 shoulder buttons. It all depends on persona preference.

Val is fine to start out with, no character in this game is THAT beginner unfriendly (though i would say if you're COMPLETELY new to fighting games then probably stay away from squigly and painwheel for the time being). I would say val is probably on the easier side of things (though Fukua is definitely the easiest).

If you're willing to invest in a new controller, I would recommend the Hori Fighting Commander 4. Depending on what country you live in it sells for $25 - $45 (look it up on Amazon). The six button layout makes more sense for a 6-button fighting game, and it's designed so that you can use a claw grip if you want. The face buttons are larger and closer together than on a standard controller, and I find it pretty easy to hit two buttons at once with my thumb.

There are no analog sticks though (which you won't use anyway, unless you do r-stick assists), so it is a fighting game only controller. Also, if you change the macros to two punches or two kicks (which I personally wouldn't recommend, depending on which character you are playing. For, example, Squigly's special change depending on which two punches you use), then it would be easier to manually call assists with hp and hk mapped to shoulder buttons than if they were face buttons.

Also, don't think too much about starting characters. Learning other characters won't necessarily make learning Val any easier, so if you want to play her eventually you should just start with her.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the tip on the controller. I've had a look on Amazon (UK) and it's selling for about £50 (~$70) which seems like a lot. Do you know of any other places I could get it which ships to the UK or another similar controller? (but i guess customs are going to charge me a fortune anyway!)

Thanks.

on Amazon (UK) it's selling for about £50 (~$70)

Wow import fees in the UK must be brutal; it only costs $30 on Amazon US. You could try this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-C...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461166592&sr=8-2&keywords=hori I personally haven't used it but the reviews look good. If you don't care about the 6-face buttons then there are plenty of cheap 3rd party controllers in both PS4 and Xbox style, so just shop around until you find one within your budget.

If you have a decent keyboard that would work too; its basically a fight stick but with ASD-space as directional inputs instead of a stick (don't use W as jump. Trust me.).

@Alpexx99, as I've said IMHO the Xbox360 controller is not a problem for SkullGirls. It only takes some time like most non trivial things.

Anyhow, if you want to throw some money, I suggest you to go big buying a "Hori Mini Stick 4". It is 40£ on Amazon.co.uk and it works fine. You can use it on whatever fighting game you like both on PC and PS3/4. Nonetheless, you'll probably be worst at the game till you adapt to the stick.

If you are looking to give up the 360 controller for something different, I wouldn't recommend going after the newest or best of anything. I do not believe that the controller posted is the most recent model, but would work great if you want to try something different.

If you want to continue using a controller (fightpad), that Hori would be a great place to start. Many people will swear by Madcatz products, but it appears their new lineup of fightpads are suffering from poor quality.

If you are looking to give up the 360 controller for something different, I wouldn't recommend going after the newest or best of anything. I do not believe that the controller posted is the most recent model, but would work great if you want to try something different.

If you want to continue using a controller (fightpad), that Hori would be a great place to start. Many people will swear by Madcatz products, but it appears their new lineup of fightpads are suffering from poor quality.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll settle for the 'fight commander' then.

(I personally use the Logitech F310)

Would you recommend the F310 as a good controller? Is it ergonomic in the sense of pressing multiple buttons at the same time?

I've had a look at the fighting commander but I've seen a lot of complaints that the dpad becomes unresponsive after a while.

Also do you have your macros set a assists or something else and do you use the dpad or analog sticks for movement?

Thanks.

Would you recommend the F310 as a good controller? Is it ergonomic in the sense of pressing multiple buttons at the same time?

I've had a look at the fighting commander but I've seen a lot of complaints that the dpad becomes unresponsive after a while.

Also do you have your macros set a assists or something else and do you use the dpad or analog sticks for movement?

Thanks.

idk if i'd recommend the F310 necessarily, especially in the sense of pressing multiple buttons at the same time. I'll lay down some pros and cons for you though.

Pros:

-dpad is FANTASTIC (imo of course), its the reason I still use this pad. I still have not found another controller that has a dpad I can instant airdash with (the fighting commander wasn't too bad but it was gonna take work and the setting i wanted to use to make it more comfortable doesn't work on ps3/ps4 anyway)
-cheap (in price, not in construction) so you aren't really out much WHEN (not if) it wears out (seems to last about as long as most people's dualshock 4s for a quarter of the price)
-comfortable and responsive face buttons

Cons:
-biggest one is that the r2/l2 buttons are closer to triggers than buttons which annoys a lot of people, and it makes pressing r2/l2 + another button difficult IMO. R1/L1 buttons are much better but still take a bit of getting used to. If hitting multiple buttons is an issue for you this isn't the pad for you.
-idk if all pads do this but I've bought a few of these now and each one takes a little while to "wear in" so to speak, the controls are usually stiff at first.

Regarding macros: there are 2 main options people use (though of course there are many exceptions these 2 layouts seem to be the most popular). The first option is set your macros to assists, this is the default option. The second option is to use the right stick assists feature, and set your macros to personal preferences (2 punches, aka dash, is very common in this layout, as dashing with the dpad is considered slower than dashing with buttons, and some things for example charging while dashing are impossible if you don't use buttons to dash). I personally use the first one, because its what i started out with and I'm used to it now.

Dpad vs analog stick: there are players who use analog stick (especially on 360 pad because the dpad on that controller is terrible) but the majority of pad players use dpad for movement as it is considered to be more responsive.

Is it ergonomic in the sense of pressing multiple buttons at the same time?
I don't know precisely but I guess that most controller have the same spacing between the buttons.

Just a stupid question: you are trying to press the two buttons with your thumb only, aren't you?

I don't know precisely but I guess that most controller have the same spacing between the buttons.

Just a stupid question: you are trying to press the two buttons with your thumb only, aren't you?

Yes I am. Is that wrong? Haha.

Yes I am. Is that wrong? Haha.

Actually not, it seems to me the more natural way. I was just curios 'cause I really cannot understand the issue.

I assume that you are not having problem with throws. So, if you have issues with dashes or supers (2 punches or 2 kicks together) you could try press one frontal button + one trigger one. To me it sounds quite awkward, but to each his own.

Anyhow, I believe that if you stick playing the game for one week all this issues will probably fade away. It is like getting used to play FPS on console: first times feels really hard but it just a matter of habits.

Some people uses the analog stick for movement but I suggest you to use the d-pad. Xbox360 d-pad is nothing exceptional but for learning the game, finishing all single player content and starting playing online is more than enough. BTW I think you could finish the arcade mode in the hardest difficulty just relying on very basic combos. Don't be afraid and take your time. It is true, it is a complex game but there is no hurry and you can enjoy it at your pace. Afterwards, you'll have the basics (and more), to play whatever fighting game you may like.

@Alpexx99 how is it going after one week? Are you having fun?

Hi again. I haven't been able to play as much as I was wanting to this week because I've been busy. However I am getting more comfortable with the controls. Still having some trouble with pressing two punches or two kicks as once.

Also with Valentine's first trial I'm having trouble doing the savage bypass immediately followed by ekg flatliner.

Hi again. I haven't been able to play as much as I was wanting to this week because I've been busy. However I am getting more comfortable with the controls. Still having some trouble with pressing two punches or two kicks as once.

Also with Valentine's first trial I'm having trouble doing the savage bypass immediately followed by ekg flatliner.

I'm glad that you're still enjoying. It is certainly far from optimal but during matches you can try grabbing somebody and then EKG flatliner. I guess that it is easier than what you're trying now and it probably will help you a bit.

By the way, it took me a long time to notice, you have a really long time frame to press the buttons in order to perform your combo. At first I was rushing the buttons while the pace it is way more relaxed. For seeing this you could try Filia's first trial.