• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Control Issue regarding Steam Overlay

Stat

Reaction score
Steam
suprlazrcat
Ms. Fortune Cerebella
So I've been having this problem for quite a while now, might just be me, none of my friends have heard of this issue at all. The problem occurs within the main menu or within character selection; I cannot move around the screen with the controls unless I tab in and out of the Steam Overlay, and only then will I be able to have control within the menu.
Any assistance would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

Would it be a problem with the Steam Overlay in general, or a controller I'm using? /shrug
I haven't heard of it either...heh?

When the problem occurs, can you use your keyboard to control the menu instead of the controller? If not then it's probably not your controller.

When the problem occurs, can you use your keyboard to control the menu instead of the controller? If not then it's probably not your controller.
I use my keyboard to play, and have no controllers connected

Well, I guess it's not the controller problem in that case. :p

Are you playing on windowed mode or borderless full screen mode? Maybe try changing that and see if the problem still happens. Usually when your control stop working it means your window become unfocused or something.

Well, I guess it's not the controller problem in that case. :p

Are you playing on windowed mode or borderless full screen mode? Maybe try changing that and see if the problem still happens. Usually when your control stop working it means your window become unfocused or something.
I play on border less full screen, so I'll definitely play around with the settings and test it out, but I don't ever tab out of the game while starting it up, so I don't see why it would lose focus every time it starts up :(

Yeah it is a weird issue. Maybe there is another programme on your computer that is "stealing" focus, but I'm not sure how tabbing in to the overlay would even fix that. Definitely try using normal full screen instead though and see if it fixes your problem.

Yeah it is a weird issue. Maybe there is another programme on your computer that is "stealing" focus, but I'm not sure how tabbing in to the overlay would even fix that. Definitely try using normal full screen instead though and see if it fixes your problem.
See if -ignorefocus does anything for you, although it shouldn't. :^)
I have tried both of your suggestions, and neither solved the issue! :<
Will I have to live the rest of my life having to shift-tab my way into games??
Also, I probably should have mentioned this before, but in the character selection screen, people's names (including mine) do not appear until I shift-tab to select my character :)

Edit: Played around and turned off the Steam Community, and that makes me unable to control the menu at all, yaaaaaay!

Last edited:
Do me a favor - run the Beta with
-log
and like, hit some keys that don't work, and pastebin the log for me?
I doubt it'll have anything useful but it might?

-log
Will do when I return home, I actually have not tried to open the beta when ive been having this , but i guess ill check it out!

-log
Opened the beta after coming home and starting up my computer, game works, and so does the normal game! My problems have been solved for some reason, thanks for the help guys!

You put up with my trash and I am very thankful